Question about skins
Mostly for elan: would it be possible to make XBMC look for skins in a different location other than inside the package? Their current location doesn't seem to be the appropriate place to keep them. Something that can be configured by the end user would be great, or a file to edit perhaps? I can see a lot of people losing their skins on each update by not having a backup.

Just a thought...
I have already filed this as an enhancement request:
http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/73
Maybe we'll see it coming soon Nod
Problems I see with this is skins like Project Mayhem III actually need to be upgraded as well when you upgrade XBMC Other skins like mc360 for example that runs python scripts rely on a fixed path to run the extra scripts that come with the skin and its useally q:\skin\mc360\liveplace\kfhkhf.py and if you move it to another location the skin wont run properly even xTV that all you apple people love rely on this for the download themes script that is in it
I understand keeping PM3 in the package, but what I'm wondering is if it's possible to have XBMC look to another folder for skins as well. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Then we don't have to worry about overwriting or remembering to copy any user-added skins out of the package.
cyantist Wrote:I understand keeping PM3 in the package, but what I'm wondering is if it's possible to have XBMC look to another folder for skins as well. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Then we don't have to worry about overwriting or remembering to copy any user-added skins out of the package.

It's on the list of things to to.

-elan
Out or curiousity does OSX (since its based on unix) allow for symbolic links ? you could always put your skins somewhere else and put a symlink to the folder in the XBMC package skins dir that way all you have to do is re add the symlinks and it won't screw up paths for skin scripts ?
Jezz_X Wrote:Out or curiousity does OSX (since its based on unix) allow for symbolic links ? you could always put your skins somewhere else and put a symlink to the folder in the XBMC package skins dir that way all you have to do is re add the symlinks and it won't screw up paths for skin scripts ?
I'll try it out tonite and report back. That would surely be an easy way to fix the problem temporarily, but I was thinking of a more elegant solution...
Jezz_X Wrote:Out or curiousity does OSX (since its based on unix) allow for symbolic links ? you could always put your skins somewhere else and put a symlink to the folder in the XBMC package skins dir that way all you have to do is re add the symlinks and it won't screw up paths for skin scripts ?

Yes, OS X supports Symlinks. As of Leopard it's POSIX compliant.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about skins0