• 2(current)
Using KODI as my only Home Theatre solution?
Yes, if you have two installs, and one of them is in Portable Mode, then you will have two different advancedsettings.xml files.

If you right click on the shortcut for the Portable install, select Properties, then select Open File Location from the Shortcut tab, it will take you to where your Userdata folder is located.

Look for portable_data folder and your Userdata folder is in there.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-07-22, 09:48)cgroth Wrote: I understand that PowerDVD (https://www.cyberlink.com/products/power....html?&r=1) should work, and be able to play BluRays, with menus etc, just like a hardware player? Can anyone confirm this, and that it can work as an external player for KODI? Also, will the trial version work properly? I don't want to pucrhase a license until I have been able to test both the BluRay player abilities AND the integration with KODI.
Well, I have powerDVD on my computer(s) and I think it plays Blurays, but my hardware is a bluray player. I'm not sure how to test its integration with Kodi, but I'm willing to test things out for you, if you explain what is required to get Kodi "involved".
(2017-07-22, 13:09)Karellen Wrote: Yes, if you have two installs, and one of them is in Portable Mode, then you will have two different advancedsettings.xml files.

If you right click on the shortcut for the Portable install, select Properties, then select Open File Location from the Shortcut tab, it will take you to where your Userdata folder is located.

Great, thanks! The advancedsettings.xml there were last modified during Christmas 2015! I will try to update and revert Big Grin

Meanwhile, could you explain, for a dummy, what a portable install is, and if there is any point in having both a regular and a portable install? Just confuses me... Huh
(2017-07-22, 13:19)bilgepump Wrote:
(2017-07-22, 09:48)cgroth Wrote: I understand that PowerDVD (https://www.cyberlink.com/products/power....html?&r=1) should work, and be able to play BluRays, with menus etc, just like a hardware player? Can anyone confirm this, and that it can work as an external player for KODI? Also, will the trial version work properly? I don't want to pucrhase a license until I have been able to test both the BluRay player abilities AND the integration with KODI.
Well, I have powerDVD on my computer(s) and I think it plays Blurays, but my hardware is a bluray player. I'm not sure how to test its integration with Kodi, but I'm willing to test things out for you, if you explain what is required to get Kodi "involved".

Thanks for your kind offer! I am afraid I have no idea yet on how to get KODI involved yet. That is my end game, but before I try to integrate them I just wanted to find and test a player that worked on its own, so that when I start trying to integrate the external player with KODI (i.e. when selecting the movie or TV Show episode from KODI the external player will be launched and will play the correct file) I know that the player works with the right type of file at least. Otherwise I wouldn't know whether the problem was KODI or the external player.

I think I might just download the trial version of PowerDVD and see what happens.... Tongue
(2017-07-22, 13:09)Karellen Wrote: Yes, if you have two installs, and one of them is in Portable Mode, then you will have two different advancedsettings.xml files.

Right, updated the old 2015 version with your suggested text. There in an improvement in that the extras etc are not added to the wrong season like they were before, but the downside is that it doesn't actually seem to find anything. That is, in the files section I can find a folder for the new season (I am working on Season 3 of the Big Bang Theory), and I can see the sub-folders for the two ripped discs (named S03E01E02E03) etc for all 23 episodes. However, under TV Shows the new Season does not show up.... Huh
(2017-07-22, 09:48)cgroth Wrote:
(2017-07-21, 16:06)brazen1 Wrote: I believe with slight editing, TMT can be added to Kodi seamlessly giving you the wonderful front end GUI of Kodi and the benefits of TMT. You would simply replace PDVD/MPC-BE in the code with TMT so it would become default or just add it is a player you could manually select from the 'play using' list. Details in the guide in my signature below.

Hi, I seem to have trouble using my existing ArcSoft player on the PC I use for KODI (I might change to a better PC later, see: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=318566), but before I start messing around with a PC that is presently running my entire DVD Changer based system using Cinemar/myServer software and a working version of ArcSoft TMT, I want KODI to work properly on a separate PC). Since ArcSoft is 'dead', maybe I should try another solution. I understand that PowerDVD (https://www.cyberlink.com/products/power....html?&r=1) should work, and be able to play BluRays, with menus etc, just like a hardware player? Can anyone confirm this, and that it can work as an external player for KODI? Also, will the trial version work properly? I don't want to pucrhase a license until I have been able to test both the BluRay player abilities AND the integration with KODI.

All help and comments are greatly appreciated! :-)

If your TMT is working, you're better off continuing to use it because it is not bound by DRM licensing. It was pre-cinavia pre-DRM licensing. The project was probably abandoned due to the new mandatory licensing protection. After upgrading to 4k, TMT no longer worked for me and the lack of further development forced me to move on to current players.

PDVD mimics a hardware player perfectly with menus as did TMT. It will play everything you throw at it with a proper GPU and has cinavia protection in place fixed with a non-US version of RedFox on-the-fly software. 1:1 UHD rips (when and if possible) will require specialized hardware in the future otherwise it will not render with a GPU upgrade alone. A stripped UHD (main movie only such as a UHD.mkv) is not a problem. The trial version is limited but will give you a general idea of it's abilities and quality which is unmatched. There is no other licensed software player in existence I know of.

It is 100% seamless with Kodi following the guide in my signature. This includes common remote commands. There really is no testing. That has already been accomplished and tested extensively for you. You might consider using your TMT, PDVD, MPC, and the Kodi internal video players together, all automated selecting the best player for unique tasks. 3D SBS/TAB, 3D Frame Packed MVC, 2D, non-1:1_ UHD, SDR, non-1:1_UHD HDR, HEVC, UHD.mkv/mp4, UHD-HDR.mkv/mp4, etc. all work perfectly. If you decide to go this route, I'd be happy to assist you in that thread if there is anything you don't understand in the instructions.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-07-22, 17:16)brazen1 Wrote: PDVD mimics a hardware player perfectly with menus as did TMT.

By PDVD to you mean PowerDVD? https://www.cyberlink.com/products/power....html?&r=1

I am probably not the most advanced user, I only have ripped regular DVDs and ripped regular BlueRays. In addition a few files downloaded from YouTube. Nothing 3D, 4K, UMT. I am simply looking for a good player that will play those 3 kinds of files, gives me the original DVD/BR disc feeling (including menus and bonus materials etc) and which integrates easily with KODI, i.e. opens and plays the correct file, and can be closed and control/focus reverts to KODI.

If you are able to help I will be most grateful!!

But first I need to solve my BlueRay import problem. Since most of my material are TV Shows I need to find a way to get this into KODI in a useful manner. Right now I am not even able to select the virtual TV Show disc containing the episode I want to watch (I put it in this way because although KODI will give me a good overview of the content of each individual episode, when I select to watch an episode the 'disc' on which the episode is stored is played, and then I will select the episode again, but this time from the disc menu. It's a little bit cumbersome, but since I have ripped my entire discs in their original file structure I don't think there is a way around this.) This works perfectly for my DV Ds, but not yet for BlueRays, after years of trial and error.... Unless I can get this fixed KODI will, for me at least, only be an additional solution with some great features, but not a complete home theatre solution. I am hoping someone will prove me wrong :-)
(2017-07-22, 16:47)cgroth Wrote: Right, updated the old 2015 version with your suggested text. However, under TV Shows the new Season does not show up.... Huh

After a couple of times removing and reinstalling the folder with the new season, and restarting KODI, it managed to import the 'the disc' correctly, and each title seems to correspond to the episode number, so it is actually possible to find, select and play the episode I want. Huge improvement!

Now I'll try a few more single seasons before I try the entire Friends series....
Wink 
(2017-07-22, 18:39)cgroth Wrote: A each title seems to correspond to the episode number, so it is actually possible to find, select and play the episode I want.

I was a bit too optimistic there. What was true for Big Bang Theory season 3 does not seem to be true for True Detective (pun intended) season 1. Here the titles are not numbered 1 - 23 like the episodes of BBT S 3, but apparently random numbers from 7 to over 800, with some at 0 minutes, so not easy to understand. So clearly I need to find an external player that I can integrate with KODI, but at least my first issue now seems solved, thanks Karellen!!
(2017-07-22, 17:16)brazen1 Wrote: If your TMT is working, you're better off continuing to use it because it is not bound by DRM licensing. It was pre-cinavia pre-DRM licensing. The project was probably abandoned due to the new mandatory licensing protection. After upgrading to 4k, TMT no longer worked for me and the lack of further development forced me to move on to current players.

PDVD mimics a hardware player perfectly with menus as did TMT. It will play everything you throw at it with a proper GPU and has cinavia protection in place fixed with a non-US version of RedFox on-the-fly software. 1:1 UHD rips (when and if possible) will require specialized hardware in the future otherwise it will not render with a GPU upgrade alone. A stripped UHD (main movie only such as a UHD.mkv) is not a problem. The trial version is limited but will give you a general idea of it's abilities and quality which is unmatched. There is no other licensed software player in existence I know of.

Hi Brazen, I am not sure if your recommendation was to use TMT or PowerDVD? I have the former already, but don't mind getting PowerDVD if that is easier/better? This is not a cost issue for me, but one of reliability and ease of use, I am unfortunately not a programmer... I started reading through link in your signature, and like you I have TMT, I use AnyDVD to rip, and have TeamViewer installed. I am also willing to pay a consultancy fee for the help I get, but don't know if that is allowed to discuss here? Anyway, it now seems that I have found a way around my first BluRay problem, and all that remains is finding, installing, integrating and testing an external BlueRay player.

So any advice on which external player I should go for is most welcome! I will only need it for regular DVDs and regular BlueRays, no 3D stuff for me :-)
If the TMT you have is presently working and meets all your needs continue using it. At the time I wrote the guide I was using TMT but have upgraded to PDVD as tech surpassed TMT for more state of the art uses. If you have no need for state of the art uses, continue using TMT. Because laws have changed that don't affect your older TMT, the newer PDVD comes with a caveat.... it detects cinavia and is required to enable its protection. You would need an additional 3rd party software to circumvent this protection that may or may not even be legal in your country. How you would apply that is your decision. Plain and simple, backing up your media while adding ease of use to a home theatre is frowned upon by moguls that insist on making this next to impossible all in the name of another buck. Same for those competing against them. We hamsters fall smack dab right in the middle wondering how best to line their pockets hoping the decisions we purchase were not only correct but meet expectations.

Because you require your software player to mimic a standalone hardware player, you are limited to a software player that decodes a complete disc backup including menus. Afaik, only TMT and PDVD can do this. If that wasn't the case, there are many players you could choose from including the Kodi internal video player. Like you, I want to interact with menus. Other times I don't. Users are unique also. Some require them and others have no use for them. Integrating various players to work with the Kodi front end each offer their own benefits and deficits. Blending them seems to make the most sense for versatile collections. Hand picking players based on source material(s), budget, hardware, versatility, etc. are also of concern. For these reasons users have to make some educated decisions since everyone is unique. The guide, the web, common sense, and this forum offer suggestions and opinions to help speed up that learning process. Understandably, home theatre DIY can get VERY complicated VERY quick. We aren't just learning how to tie our shoes here.

I TeamViewer help others from time to time with a specific problem and have always succeeded. I've never remotely done an A-Z setup though I could. I've never requested 'consulting fees' nor received any. I'm not a programmer, just a common user like yourself. I don't have all the answers for everything. No one does. In an increasing world of 'Takers' I like to exhibit that examples of 'Givers' still exist because imo, the scales are tipping. There are many here at the Kodi forum, each giving in their own way including the software itself. I notice extreme extensions of assistance go to those that have genuinely attempted to help themselves. This is a general statement and I'm not insinuating you haven't.

I've tried to write a guide covering many aspects. I'm no pro and know it's confusing because of the confusing nature of it all. That and ever changing advancements allowing one to keep up with advancements while retaining 'the old way' for those that have no interest in advancing. I think if one actually reads the pertinent parts of the entire thread guide, gains some understanding, and applies the instructions, it's fairly fool proof. If you can read and know basic computing, you will succeed. Those that don't put in the seat time (for what ever reasons) receive the least help and I just don't mean in the guide thread. A fee for those that just can't be bothered and want instant gratification is in order but it's not my style TBH. Again, I'm not insinuating any of this applies to you. I'm just on a rant.... LoL. Follow the guide to add your external player(s) of choice based on your unique needs. If you run into any specific problems, I would be happy to fix them for you simply because I want you to enjoy your home theatre experience.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks for this Brazen1. I might try to go the TMT route then. However, I first need the person who has provided me with the software for my main theatre set up to confirm that trying to install KODI on the same PC, and accessing TMT from separate software, will not cause problems for my other software. I would hate to be stuck with two 'competing' system, neither working....
(2017-07-23, 17:22)brazen1 Wrote: the newer PDVD comes with a caveat.... it detects cinavia and is required to enable its protection. You would need an additional 3rd party software to circumvent this protection that may or may not even be legal in your country.

I don't really know what Cinavia is, but I rip all my DVDs with AnyDVD and remove region codes to avoit the software locking up to a specific region code. Copying copyrighted works for private use (such as back-up) is legal here, and I never share my files or sell my DVDs after I have ripped them, so my conscience is very clear :-)

(2017-07-23, 17:22)brazen1 Wrote: Because you require your software player to mimic a standalone hardware player, you are limited to a software player that decodes a complete disc backup including menus. Afaik, only TMT and PDVD can do this.

How exactly do you start playback of a ripped BluRay disc with ArcSoft? I know how to to it with a ripped DVD, the VIDEO_TS.IFO file does the trick. However, I haven't figured out how to do this with BluRays.

Also, I am experiencing that a few BlueRays don't play properly on ArcSoft, they get stuck between playing the copyright notice and the menu, with a black screen. I was thinking this was because TMT is old and no longer supported, and that PDVD would be better, but I may be wrong?
(2017-07-23, 17:34)cgroth Wrote: Thanks for this Brazen1. I might try to go the TMT route then. However, I first need the person who has provided me with the software for my main theatre set up to confirm that trying to install KODI on the same PC, and accessing TMT from separate software, will not cause problems for my other software. I would hate to be stuck with two 'competing' system, neither working....

OK, so I have confirmation that I should not mess up anything working at the moment by installing KODI :-) However, until i figure out how to play BluRay rips in ArcSoft I will not make the plunge, since my present set-up does a better job of this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I know it must be possible, the MainLobby software I presently use links to the index.bdmv of each copy of a ripped disc, and it launches the 'disc just like the original physical disc in a hardware player, original full working menu mode in ArcSoft. But I have not been able to do that myself, either by double-clicking the index.bdmv file directly, or by trying to open it from ArcSoft. So there must be something I am missing??
Your rip needs to be in an iso container. Use imgburn to put it in one. Then you need to mount the iso using VirtualCloneDrive (VCD). Then select 'open with' TMT by right clicking on the mounted iso in Windows Explorer. Once you see how TMT handles your iso, you can integrate everything so it's all automatically done from Kodi by just clicking on the title. That's what the guide is for. You just need to start reading the thread and follow the instructions.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using KODI as my only Home Theatre solution?0