Working on adding FanArt support to XBMC skinning-engine
timdog82001 Wrote:The progress sounds great! Looking forward to it Big Grin One question, are you agathorn, or has anybody else, considered adding support for localized fan art, ie fanart.jpg that you put in the root of that show's folder? I have a very large database of tv shows and I try to keep everything I can local so that I'm not spending as many hours and hours redownloading all the images everytime I do a clean install of XBMC. The only thing about that is that you would probably need some way of specifying the color themes associated with the file.

It is planned, but it will be after the basics are in.
A lot has happened over the last couple of days. Thanks to C-Quel providing me with an updated tvdb scraper, i've been able to work on the data side of things. I'm happy to say that at this point, I have the Fanart data being scraped, saved, and available to the InfoLabels.

IOW at this point, in a basic state, Fanart is working! However with that said, there is a lot of cleanup and optimization that will need to be done. Since i'm unfamiliar with a lot of the code i'm working with, i'll talk to JM tonight about that. Also theres bound to be bugs :p In addition at this time the fanart support is limited to only the first returned fanart from TVDB, and local fanart is not supported.

Despite that though, the fact is we're really close and I would expect something to hit SVN within the next few days.
sounds great man! Looking forward to it. Now if only I can get a replacement motherboard and I could actually USE xbmc for once
Great work agathorn. Can't wait to get to work on this! Cheers.
Awesome work, agathorn! I've been really impressed with how you've taken it upon yourself to get this implemented properly. This will result in such a great improvement to the TV section of XBMC... I hope most people really realize what this means. If not, they're in for a pleasant surprise once the skins implement it. Big Grin

Just so everyone's aware, the top fan art returned by TheTVDB is the highest rated fan art for that series. So voting for art will result in better results when scraping. I'll soon be switching it so it returns the fan art with the highest Bayesian score, which you can see an explanation of here: http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?p=2977#2977

In any case, voting on fan art = good results when scraping. Keep that in mind. Smile
added: skin conditional "Fanart.HasFanart" returns true if the TV show has a fanart image available, false if not
agathorn Wrote:added: skin conditional "Fanart.HasFanart" returns true if the TV show has a fanart image available, false if not

Although good is that really needed can't you just use !IsEmpty(Fanart.InfoLabel)
Jezz_X Wrote:Although good is that really needed can't you just use !IsEmpty(Fanart.InfoLabel)

DOH!
Time for Eye Candy!

Jezz_X was kind enough to quickly put together a small test skin for me to use to test the Fanart so now we have screenies!

Now its VERY hard to notice (szori I think we really might want the ability for submitter specified colors?) because the colors are so dark and don't vary much, but if you look closely in each image you will see besides the obvious image, that the list highlight changes color based on the colors in the theme.
Yeah, I've been thinking more and more about those colors. They're not too useful now since they wash out and tend to be all light for light images and all dark for dark ones. Perhaps I should switch it to allow the artist to specify light, medium, and dark highlight colors? I could leave the current colors field and make another one, or just switch the current one to match.
Here are a couple of 720p examples since Agathorn seems to be using Low def 16x9

CLICK THEM TO GET BIG ONES

Image Image Image
szsori: One possibility may be to increase the saturation of the colours after you grab them from your sample? Code for RGB<->HSV is available here:

http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ncs/color/t_convert.html
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Nice progress!
Is the testskin public available?
It would be handy to see the coding Smile
Mntz Wrote:Nice progress!
Is the testskin public available?
It would be handy to see the coding Smile

Sorry i have to giggle at this one Smile agathorn and co. will understand why...

And no mate its not available currently.
Great progress! Looking very nice. Can't wait to get my hands on it Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working on adding FanArt support to XBMC skinning-engine0