Working on adding FanArt support to XBMC skinning-engine
Ok gang, as of SVN revision #12300, Fanart support is now in XBMC.

It is VERY late (2am for me) at the moment, so I will be waiting until tomorrow to update the wiki. However I did want to take a moment to just briefly cover things for you.

First off, this is INITIAL support. It is basic, and can/will be expanded. Local fanart is NOT supported. At this time only fanart scraped from TVDB is supported.

I did manage to work in the code for choosing fanart, which I initially didin't expect to be in right away. So you do have the ability to select which fanart image you want to use for a TV show.

While this code has been tested by a few people, it is a lot of code all together and my familiarity with the guts of XBMC isn't exactly expert level :p so there may very well be bugs. If you find any please just let me know.

Skin authors I will make another post inthe Skin Development section with the skinning details.
Very nice! Thanks again for all the hard work you have put into this! I guess I know how I am spending my day tomorrow Wink Cheers.
Cool! Smile
I'd be interested in looking at it, paste it on pastebin.
Spread the knowledge, nothing else.Image
huh?

if you want to look at the changes, just fetch the diff from svn
I hope that post above doesn't change your mind if you were going to share the pastebin link agathorn.
Spread the knowledge, nothing else.Image
Because you are extremely curious, and because it may be informative to others writing patches, and because I'm certain that Agathorn won't mind, here's the original diff Agathorn sent me:

http://xbmc.pastebin.org/25391

Note the tvdb scraper changes are not included.

And here is what ended up in SVN:

http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...sion=12300

And because I'm feeling especially generous (or more to the point am just plain bored :p) here's the SVN mailing for that commit (i.e. unified diff):

http://xbmc.pastebin.org/25575

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/API:banners.xml
Scroll to "Colors". It's all ready for you. I'm working on going through all the current fan art and setting the artist colors. I should be done sometime tomorrow (60 down, 400+ to go). The colors should be much more usable now. Smile
Sweet thanks!

I went and reset the colors on my fanart to save you the trouble.
I've now added support for local fanart IMAGES and will get it into SVN as soon as I can.

You can place a fanart.jpg, or fanart.png file in the shows main folder, IE:
\Television\Shows\Stargate Atlantis\fanart.jpg

And XBMC will use that as the fanart image. This method does NOT provide color information.

If a show already has fanart assigned to it, the fanart.jpg method wont' work, because it won't override what you already had set (for safety :p) so in order to change it simlply go to the Choose Fanart window, select BROWSE, and then select the local image you want to use as fanart.
Very nice Wink Thanks again for the hard work!
agathorn Wrote:I've now added support for local fanart IMAGES and will get it into SVN as soon as I can.

You can place a fanart.jpg, or fanart.png file in the shows main folder, IE:
\Television\Shows\Stargate Atlantis\fanart.jpg

And XBMC will use that as the fanart image. This method does NOT provide color information.

If a show already has fanart assigned to it, the fanart.jpg method wont' work, because it won't override what you already had set (for safety :p) so in order to change it simlply go to the Choose Fanart window, select BROWSE, and then select the local image you want to use as fanart.

ah thanks dude!
Great work agathorn! You've really helped push this fanart thing trough and all us skinners definitely appreciate it! Nod
Ok this is now in SVN, thanks jmarshall!
Hey agathorn, i'm wondering if it's possible (and not to much work) to also get the old colors back, the ones generated by the website. Something like .AutoColor1 .AutoColor2 .AutoColor3
I've done some tests and i'm amazed that the generated colors fit a lot better then the ones entered by a person. I don't know if other skinners notice the same thing in their skin/tests.

Here are some quick examples.
Left = generated, Right = userinput

The problem lies more with the choices the artist makes. The auto ones were really not realiable at all. Sometimes one color would work better than another and oyu had no way of knowing.

IMHO there should be a "Style guide" so to speak that helps guide the artist to choosing the right colors when submitting. I think color 3 personally should be a color chosen that would be a good matte color for the image.

Though this is probably more on topic for posting in TVDB's forums though.

In the end its all down to what we scrape from TVDB and I have no control over that.

Thing is though I keep seeing you showing results with the same certain images. I have lots of fanart that when I do colors siiliar to what you are doing, the autocolors just bite.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working on adding FanArt support to XBMC skinning-engine0