Periodic freeze upon playback attempt
Hello,
I've been having a issue for a while now where after coming back from idle Kodi will quickly grind to a halt after attempting playback of a video file.

Order of events:
Come back from being away, turn on screen, wake computer via mouse movement
Scroll through media list, select play on video of choice
video plays for maybe 0.5 seconds. Freezes. No audio.
video skips to maybe a few more seconds in. still no audio. remains frozen there.
pressing "stop" to exit video playback is very sluggish. maybe 5 or 10 seconds

Details:
After the issue occurs it 100% reproducible upon every video playback attempt until Kodi is killed via Task Manager. (exiting Kodi the normal way will leave it running in the background and the program can't be restarted until kodi is killed via task manager.)
After fully restarting Kodi the issue no longer occurs.

I've had this issue since version 16 and upgraded to 17 in hopes it would be resolved but no luck.

Via searching I found a very similar issue in this thread but it looks like it was never resolved.

Info:
Hardware:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/durza/saved/ChqKHx
GTX 780. Driver Version 376.33 (issue persists through different driver versions)
HDMI out to receiver.

Software:
Windows 10 x64
Kodi version 17.3

Log:
Full log here. Attempting to start a playback at 01:08:00.206 (line 10432)
Lots of

ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::FlushEngine - failed to flush
ERROR: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init

in there. If someone could provide context on what those mean I would be interested.
Otherwise I also see

ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::IsFormatSupported: Unsupported format 104 for 1.
ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::IsFormatSupported: Unsupported format 105 for 1.

but that doesn't really make sense to me since the files play fine after a restart.

Thoughts
My feeling is this is somehow related to Kodi not being "fully" woken up from the idle state. Something about the video / audio playback is breaking or stalling after being idle for a while. Not sure why but it consistent enough to motivate a thread about it.
Quote:wake computer via mouse movement and After fully restarting Kodi the issue no longer occurs.
This is where the issue develops and the solve. Going through multiple generations of Kodi should tell you it's not Kodi but some fragmentation of the sleep/wake function memory, which has been reported at Infinium in the MS forums (basically it's the luck of the draw for memory protection and the larger the program the more likely you'll get hit).

From this statement
Quote:(exiting Kodi the normal way will leave it running in the background and the program can't be restarted until kodi is killed via task manager.
The behaviour sounds typical of some corruption or an add-on is holding on to a file (likely the sleep/hibernation/wake). Some people have report success with this issue by using a launcher.

Suggestions:-
Leave it running;
shut down Kodi first,
perhaps a start/stop batch file
change the launch order of things, so different memory locations are used
portable mode would eliminate add-on issues
Krypton 17.4
Leia 18

https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppor...sleep.html
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-sleep-mode/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Periodic freeze upon playback attempt0