XBMC not letting mini go to suspend/sleep mode
when i have xbmc running and even with nothing playing it won't let the mac mini go into sleep mode. i'd like it to sleep after whatever time i've set in the leopard prefs, or otherwise select a suspend timer within xbmc (i havent found the option if there is one), and wehn i resume i want ti t ogo straigh tback into xbmc.
is this a problem i'm having only, is it meant to function this way, or an oversight/coding issue?
This is ment to be a function in most all media players as you don't want your computer falling asleep during a really good scene in Waterworld. If you notice front row causes the same behavior as does play a video in quicktime.
there are just so few fans like us of waterworld Smile
I guess you're right about it being the function, but can't the software distinguish if you're playing music/watching a video, vs totally idle? i plan to have xbmc running as a full-time front end to my mini, without having to click on icons etc to start it up. my plans for this computer are to be like a cable box/receiver mainly for media than as a computer.
I'm assuming the software can, but the demand for this is pretty low. You'd have to find a developer willing to take the time to code it, etc.
but people go to sleep watching movies or listening to music, forget to turn off xbmc, etc, all the time, so i'd think this would be pretty important to not have your hardware running for 8 hrs at night while you snooze.
I think i'll have to learn to code just for this.
I'm not a Mac user so I do not know about XBMC for Mac OS X but XBMC for the Xbox at least have both idle shutdown feature (set in the GUI settings, I have mine set to 30-minutes) and a sleep-timer (enable it by highlighting the shutdown button and press the UP-arrow to set after how many minutes/hours you want XBMC to shutdown after even if not idle)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamster17 that will only close xbmc not put his mac into sleep mode but I guess after a time it will do that as well when xbmc is closed

As for the whole thing its still early days and priorities are actually getting things working that don't rather than adding new stuff
This problem is annoying me too, so look for me to fix it in the next release or so Smile
Thanks for considering this change so quickly elan.

I know it's not a widespread problem that needs direct attention but there are more than a few people that this bug affects.

I know that I first submitted this bug with ticket #109 http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/109. Someone else also posted it as ticket #127http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/127.

Thanks again elan!
i love xbmc to death. it is beyond compare to standalone systems(that can do all except play xbox games) in any and all price ranges.the only problem is that i keep frying my D0 point(and god only knows what else) by falling asleep with my xbox on. granted the 1.6 and 1.2 i had were not meant for modding like any other xbox,but they did last a hell of a llong time. all of this aside, i have lost nearly $300 taken out of $7/hr paychecks, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, INCLUDE A "POWER OFF" OPTION FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT!!
pers87, if you're talking about xbmc for xbox then there is an auto off feature.
This post pertains to the osx version of xbmc
Yes the latest version allows you to both power off the system and the display after set time outs. The reason we have to disable the Leopard sleep display and sleep settings, is there is no easy way to keep Leopard from kicking those things on or off while you are in a video.

Here is how it works today. It CAN tell if you are watching a video vs. just sitting idle at a menu. If you are not watching a movie, and/or haven't hit a key for however long the screen saver is set to kick on (say 5 minutes), the screen saver will go on. Let's say you set the display to sleep in 10 minutes and the system in 30 (under System->Hardware). The display will sleep 10 minutes AFTER the screen saver (if enabled) has been on. The system will go to sleep 30 mins after the screen saver kicked in.

Keep in mind that this functionality (sleep display, and sleep machine) are only in effect in full screen mode. If you are running XBMC on OSX in windowed mode, first, why... Secondly I believe we fall back on letting Leopard's power and screen saver settings kick in. (I think...I have confused myself now and I wrote the code.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not letting mini go to suspend/sleep mode0