AAC 5.1 support
Is this currently supported? When playing an mkv with this format of audio track, I hear nothing through my SPDIF connected receiver.
I understand that it won't be able to decode an AAC 5.1 track, but is there a downmix ability in XBMC?

Thanks!
From 0.1.5 release notes:
"NEW: Down-mixing of AC3 and DTS. Finally, those of you having to sit there in silence watching your movies at high speed, perhaps having to suffer through a loved one nagging you over your shoulder. Set your output mode to analog, turn up the volume, and ignore that loved one. (P.S. Those of you anime fiends with 5-channel AAC, sorry people, no such luck. Post a link to a sample video with that sound format and I’ll try to look into it.)"

I miss the AAC 5.1 because of the Apple trailers, 2chan AAC seems to work thou.
AAC 5.1 definately doesn't downmix yet - I have a couple of mkv's with this as the audio stream (and I have a ~20Mb sample if anyone wants it to test code)

For these, I've just stripped out the audio track, converted it to something else (for example AC3, AAC 2ch) and muxed the whole lot back up again. Works fine and you can leave the original track in for when AAC5.1 is supported..
hippojay Wrote:AAC 5.1 definately doesn't downmix yet - I have a couple of mkv's with this as the audio stream (and I have a ~20Mb sample if anyone wants it to test code)

For these, I've just stripped out the audio track, converted it to something else (for example AC3, AAC 2ch) and muxed the whole lot back up again. Works fine and you can leave the original track in for when AAC5.1 is supported..
Nice! Am I able to go from AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 or is it 2ch only? Also, what app would I use? Many thanks!
I had to use windows app - as I couldn't find any osx ones that worked as well.

extracting the audio and then re-muxing them in can be done with mkvmerge and mkvextract (from mkvtoolnix). You should be able to do this on the mac if you google for the tools.

For transcoding the audio I used a windows app called DAudioK to convert to AC3 5.1. I did try and use ffmpegX on the mac to do the same - but I either couldn't get it to work correctly, or the speed was halved and didn't sound right.

There might be other apps - but I didn't have the time to hunt around for them

HTH
Awesome! Thanks for all the app info. Will give that a go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC 5.1 support0