Kodi 17.4 RC1 is not remembering that I turned off Sub titles!
Kodi 17.4 RC1 keeps re enabling sub titles.

On the audio settings I turn off sub titles and set it for all media but every time I start a new movie sub titles is enabled again.
I'm pretty sure this has always been the case in Kodi. Not just 17.4 RC1. However, I will agree it's a serious annoyance. I'd like to see Kodi make proper use of the language preferences you set when setting it up, and be intelligent enough to default to subtitles disabled, unless the video file's audio stream is labelled as a language other than that set in the UI preferences, and/or is of 'unknown' type (i.e: the audio track has no language type set).
It don't remembers also if u want always to have subtitles ON. Pretty annoying for many years already.
How about a debug log (wiki) as this hasn't been my experience.

Also check in guisettings.xml that the setting is saved after you close kodi. If you don't close kodi properly settings won't be saved.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-12, 19:20)gibxxi Wrote: I'm pretty sure this has always been the case in Kodi. Not just 17.4 RC1. However, I will agree it's a serious annoyance. I'd like to see Kodi make proper use of the language preferences you set when setting it up, and be intelligent enough to default to subtitles disabled, unless the video file's audio stream is labelled as a language other than that set in the UI preferences, and/or is of 'unknown' type (i.e: the audio track has no language type set).

You should try the option in settings that controls the subtitles and not the "set default for all videos" cause that's likely broken and should be removed.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-08-12, 23:29)nickr Wrote: How about a debug log (wiki) as this hasn't been my experience.

Also check in guisettings.xml that the setting is saved after you close kodi. If you don't close kodi properly settings won't be saved.

Here is the log file
https://pastebin.com/qF1Tjje8

It does this on all 3 of my Windows 10 computers running Kodi 17.3 or even 17.4 RC1

When playing a movie with sub titles if you open up the audio menu Enable Subtitles is enabled and if you disable it and then click Set as default for all media the very next time you open a movie sub titles is enabled again.

I don't know when this issue started but I do know it was not always like this and it used to remember that I disabled sub titles for all media.

Also about the guisettings.xml where exactly do I find that and what should I be looking for?

Thanks
guisettings.xml is in userdata (wiki)

But first of all I would read @Martijn's post.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-13, 08:15)Martijn Wrote:
(2017-08-12, 19:20)gibxxi Wrote: I'm pretty sure this has always been the case in Kodi. Not just 17.4 RC1. However, I will agree it's a serious annoyance. I'd like to see Kodi make proper use of the language preferences you set when setting it up, and be intelligent enough to default to subtitles disabled, unless the video file's audio stream is labelled as a language other than that set in the UI preferences, and/or is of 'unknown' type (i.e: the audio track has no language type set).

You should try the option in settings that controls the subtitles and not the "set default for all videos" cause that's likely broken and should be removed.

Will do, Cheers.
(2017-08-13, 08:15)Martijn Wrote:

That makes no difference as far as I can see.

Sub titles still getting enabled.
For The Mummy.mkv there's one audio stream (nr. 0) with language English and two subtitle streams. One oft them (nr. 2) is English with flags default and forced.
Since this one matches the language of the audio stream and is flagged forced it gets displayed. @Martijn do we have a setting to not show any subs, even forced? I can't remember.
If not, you should change the flags of that stream, e.g., with MKVToolNix.
can't recall either. Wasn't there something with "none" which would still show forced and "never"which would turn them off completely? Would have to dig in the code
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.4 RC1 is not remembering that I turned off Sub titles!0