Want flexible IR control w/ loads of buttons & low cost?
Ok I know eventually we've have all kinds of remote control options. Heck we already have pretty flexible options with the Apple remote, Sony BD Remote, Keyspan remote, and others through Remote Buddy and the like.

Here's my problem I want enough buttons to control main XBMC functions and secondary functions, I'd like a backlit remote, like the flexibility to problem the buttons to XBMC functions, and not spend too much to do it.

Alright having discussed the prior available options (mostly) and that none can do everything here's the full function option that can be done for as little as $40 with the remote control, IR sensor, and software.

Get a Keyspan remote control. The iTunes (cheaper - $15+ eBay) or Express (much more)
Throw out the remote.
Connect the IR sensor.
Install the software.
Select JVC_VCR as the remote template.
Use your desired (read most any) pre-programmed or or programmable IR remote you like that supports JVC VCR IR codes.
Assign the buttons you want on the remote to the ones in the Keyspan config.
DONE.

Now this is a brief walk-through but pretty much it. You'll have more buttons available then you'll likely use; you can program in your TV/receiver/ETC (RERAD ONE REMOTE); the remote can be backit, touch screen, anything (as long as it supports JVC VCR's); you can assign any function to (most) any button; the whole thing can cost almost nothing or as much as you want to spend on a remote.

This only works with Keyspan IR senors, the S/W can be d/l from the Keyspan site for free if you happen to have (or can get the) a compatible sensor though.

A little winded and not the best write-up (need edit ability) but you get the idea.

Let me know what you guys think.
Great Idea! I need to look into this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want flexible IR control w/ loads of buttons & low cost?0