• 2(current)
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing
Where should bug reports be submitted? Replies to this thread? New Thread? Sourceforge?
just because someone has made it easy (easier) to try XBMC doesn't mean we want "LAZY" bugreports suddenly.

I just want to make this crystal clear.

READ this link: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Submi...Bug_Report

with that out of the way, it's only a bug if someone can reproduce it (has reproduced it)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Heh, I will try this tonight as there's just *one* bug I need stomped Wink

If bandwidth is an issue is there any reason it couldn't be placed on a torrent tracker or are you guys trying to maintain tighter control? Do you want this spread via sites like Digg and Slashdot or more low key? Just trying to get some guidance as to how much attention you really want before the shouting begins....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
This isn't an official release yet, it's the release candidate for alpha 1. Bang on it for a week or two, then if this build proves stable and useful it'll be released as alpha 1. If not, we'll do a RC2 and so on.

Put it up wherever you want, but the direct downloads are just temporary until we get the personal package archive repository up. Once it's up you can just run "apt-get install xbmc" and it'll install XBMC and all the dependencies.
Okay, from that it sounds like making too big a splash would be a mistake. Probably best to let a few savvy folks know, test it ourselves, figure out if there's anything glaring then rinse and repeat.

Honestly the one bug I'm after is the one linked in my sig, I'd be shocked if it's not reproducible and since it's dealing with DVD playback I think it might be a problem before widespread use. I will test on the proposed Alpha tonight to ensure it's there still before trying to report it more formally.

I look forward to the repository going live but it will sure be weird not to be doing an SVN up every night Tongue

Thanks guys, this is terrific news!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
yup enabled by default. not that i care that much.. but the versioning is just silly.
there is no point in have a RC for a alpha. all alphas are considered buggy, and it's better to just keep release alphas when we fix issued.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The thought is that if we release alphas without any testing beforehand it's effectively no different than posting compiled dailies and that's pretty bleeding-edge for endusers. Dailies frequently have serious problems.
I just loaded the new build, and I see a problem with thumbs. I have a video source that is made up of multiple SMB paths. Some of the thumbs do not fully load, and the resulting tbn files are corrupt. This seems to work fine if there is only one SMB path in the source.

Here's the debug log.

I have not yet gotten a chance to try this from the local disk.
Nice work rodalpho. Moving userdata to $HOME/.xbmc/userdata or something should solve chowning issue. I'll try to commit that soon for the next release.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Sweet!

Please consider moving the skins dir to ~/.xbmc also; any files or directories that would reasonably be changed by endusers should ideally go in there.
well that would include scripts as well technically but people may want scripts for all uses so maybe it needs spitting up
Not to mention PM3 skin needs to be for all users not just the one who installed it
Right, sure, scripts also. All user-accessible stuff should be in the homedir.
Looks like I won't be able to test tonight and I'll be away until Sunday night. From the looks of it a pretty good test is already ongoing though! Any reason why we couldn't use the packaged version alongside the SVN? Just two different executable paths, yes? Any specific areas that the developers would like tested more thoroughly than others? Are there any areas you'd prefer we not worry about? I'm thinking things like areas of code inherited from other projects that you guys might not want to dig into right now. Anything like that? Software testing or rather more often breaking is something I've had some experience withWink Honestly I think the software is pretty well polished for an "Alpha", am very happy to see this step being taken.Nod
I am also one who thinks a stable release is a good idea which will attract more users and in turn hopefully more developers. I do agree with elupus though about the version. If this isnt stable enough for a beta or atleast an alpha, we are never going to see a proper release.

Thanks for all the work you have put in.

Nick
I tried this a couple more ways.

Same images, same folder structure, direct paths to local hard drive, still multipath:
This works as expected. No corruption.

Files still on local hard drive, but I set up SMB shares and linked to them using smb:// paths:
This shows the problem.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux 2.1 SVN revision 12195 (potential alpha 1) available for testing2