help a noob out, building a menu system
Hello people,

I'm pretty new to XBMC, just been using it for a couple or months or so and totally in love with it. Many thanks to all people contributing in one way or another.

I've been lurking on these forums while working on my first skin which is coming along nicely. However there's one thing that has been driving me nuts. I want to make a menu system for my skin and I can't seem to get it the way I want. I think it's either not possible or just so simple I'm overlooking the solution. I've tried really hard but now I'm desperate for help Sad

I think it's best explained with a simple picture:

In the picture the button with the red outline is hovered. I want the second menu in the right column to automatically appear when I hover the button. When I hover the second button on the left I want another right column menu to appear. Same goes for the third and so on.
And then ofcourse I want to be able to use an <onright> to enter the menu on the right and make the final selection. Say the first left item is titled "video" I want buttons on the right to appear for movies, tvshows, musicvideos, etc.
I tried Buttonscrollers but it seems I can only assign an <onright> action to the buttonscroller element itself but not to the individual buttons in it.

Basically it should be something like the settingscategory.xml but since it uses built-in elements I don't know how that's done.
I could give examples of things I tried but there's so many I don't even know where to start.

Is what I want possible? If so please share your knowledge and give me some pointers Smile

I hope my explanation is somewhat understandable and clear Oo

Thanks Smile
the first 2 column are possible even if you just draw the buttons manually but if the third one you want is the actual list of files then it can't be done

Also auto filling them with peoples shares is impossible too
As for the menu system itself, look at my skin Fusion. It uses a cascading menu system exactly like you describe in the video library.
@Jezz_X: no, I don't need to use it for filelists, purely for loading sections

@Agathorn: I took a look at your skin and that's indeed what I want, I'll take a look at the code, thanks Smile
Hello again Smile
I've got another question. I figured since it's just a small one I would re-use this thread.
If I should make a seperate one please let me know (or split it) and I'll do that in the future.

In my dialogvideoinfo.xml when I select episode information I would like to display the season thumb as well as the episode thumb. Is that possible? How do I call the season thumb? I tried <info>Container.SeasonThumb</info> but thingy no worky Rolleyes

Thanks Smile
Jeroen Wrote:Hello again Smile
I've got another question. I figured since it's just a small one I would re-use this thread.
If I should make a seperate one please let me know (or split it) and I'll do that in the future.

In my dialogvideoinfo.xml when I select episode information I would like to display the season thumb as well as the episode thumb. Is that possible? How do I call the season thumb? I tried <info>Container.SeasonThumb</info> but thingy no worky Rolleyes

Thanks Smile

I'm honestly NOT sujre if this will work in that window, but you can give it a try:
container.folderthumb
Excellent, that does work Nod
Thanks a lot Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help a noob out, building a menu system0