Why all the ports? Surely not the point of XBMC
Rainbow 
goldcd Wrote:with pretty much what everybody has said. Couple of points:
I hadn't actually thought that as this was OSS somebody else could just pick it up and use it. i.e. it wouldn't have to be pushed from XBMC, it could be pulled in by a hardware maker.
Also I do understand how people want to integrate this into an exisiting linux system. Point I was trying to make was that I don't want to have a whole house full of complete systems, need to draw the line somewhere and just treat some as appliances. e.g. it's entirely possible to use linux to build a nice NAS box - but for a device with such a clear purpose I just chose to pick up a ReadyNAS. Maybe not cheaper, but certainly easier.<snip>

You DO realize that the ReadyNAS runs Linux right? Do you find that it's "fiddly" with drivers and all? This code is still considered Alpha by the developers. If you read here enough you'll find that the goal is to eventually release a packaged up CD "standard" aimed at a specific set of compatible hardware. The user will be able to insert this disk, install it, and be ready to roll - much like that ReadyNAS or one of about a hundred different hardware devices running an embedded Linux OS. Both of my large NAS, my router, a small Buffalo NAS, my DVR, and probably other devices in my home all run Linux now. XBMC ported to Linux will allow for much of the same appliance like functionality that ABMC on XBOX allows NOW. The difference is that it will be 100% legal and be capable of running on a far wider range of hardware.

I've built a Linux HTPC to support the current XBMC code using hardware others used so I knew it wold work. For most anyone using my box it's an appliance. They need not know that dropping out of the XBMC interface leaves them at a desktop. If I wanted I could even remove the desktop and setup XBMC to be the only interface. You wouldn't know Linux is their either, the code can be made to meet your desires now if you wanted.

As of right now the devs do not have a specific hardware target and this is good. This means people are free to build what they can afford in whatever formfactor they want. If they were to pick something specific now things will have changed by the time they're done. The Mini, the Apple TV, a Shuttle XPC, lots and lots of options are available right now. Things are moving along just as they should, if you want a plug and play solution with no thought now isn't the time - wait a few months.

As for a hardware manufacturer picking this up - don't hold your breath. By doing this open source the guys can use the deCSS libraries to play DVD under Linux, they can support playing ISO images, they can do most anything they want for any format desired. As soon as a manufacturer tries to do this they will get smacked. They will need to license legal DVD code and be required to support Macrovision and who knows what other DRM crap - ask TIVO how bad that sux.Stare Doing it this way is just fine IMO, help these guys build the best damned media player on the planet while the likes of Sony, Microsoft, and Apple suck wind with their hands tied around their backs by the content industry. My Buffalo LinkTheater is a perfect example - not allowed to upscale streamed DVD images but can upscale anything else. The developer told me point blank it was an EASY code change but they would lose their license from the DVD consortium if they released it - XBMC has NO such restrictions. Who knows maybe desire for XBMC will help get the likes of AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA off their ass with Linux support of hardware acceleration. One can dream...Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
In my opinion, the more platforms XBMC will run on, the better. It will attract more users, and therefore also more potential developers, skinners, plugin builders, you name it. Besides the XBOX hardware will just not be sufficient in the future, it's a dying platform. Over the years a lot are bound to break down, ultimately decreasing the userbase more and more.
I'm currently running XBMC on an XBOX. I picked one up after seeing XBMC in action at a friend of mine. It was one of the best value buys ever for me, but I can't see me running it on an XBOX forever. It makes too much noise and everytime I see it perform so much better on my PC my desire to build a small silent htpc grows bigger. So I'm glad there's a Linux version and a Windows version, knowing I'll be able to run XBMC on it in the future Smile
Information 
All this has been discussed before, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=26097
goldcd Wrote:What I would like is just having precisely the same experience I have now, just with a bit more grunt and requiring as little effort on my part to manage as possible....
....realistic option would be a micro-roll of linux with just enough stuff to support XBMC. I could live with picking up micro VIA or similar system and just installing an XBMC Live CD onto it and then never having to touch it (I love autoupdate). I want the OS so light I don't even have an HD, but can just boot the whole kaboodle off a lovely quiet SD card.
That has always been the 'end' goal of the XBMC for Linux port project, we just have not come that far along yet, ...so yes one day we hope to have a XBMC boot quickly of a USB-memory-stick on a small number of compatible computers, ...if you have the money then you can buy an AOpen miniPC MP965-DR and try l.capriotti's unofficial LiveXBMC (it is not officially supported but it does work). The fact is that XBMC for Linux is still at a too early development stage to lock down the end hardware we will officially support.

goldcd Wrote:alternative would be if XBMC were licensed to hardware manufacturers. Not hard to find a DVD player with Divx stamped on the front, nice, but I'd pay a damn sight more for a nice XBMC logo. Has anybody ever talked to Neuros?
XBMC is licensed under the GPL so as long as they comply with the GPL then any company is more than welcome to use XBMC for Linux 'as is' or modify and use it as a framework base for a XBMC derivative for free (with basically just a custom skin and XBMC running on-top of a custom embedded Linux distribution). Team-XBMC would be happy to work with any companies willing sell pre-configured XBMC or XBMC-derivative 'boxes', again, as long as the company comply with the GPL. Like rodalpho noted, in return for helping/working with a such company the only thing Team-XBMC would ask for from that company is that they they distribute any changes they make to the XBMC source code, maybe even actively get any such changed committed upstream to our SVN.

Only limitation we have set is the "XBMC" name which is trademarked by Team-XBMC and our XBMC logo is also copyrighted so a company would have to get our consent to use our name and/or logo.

BLKMGK Wrote:As for a hardware manufacturer picking this up - don't hold your breath. By doing this open source the guys can use the deCSS libraries to play DVD under Linux, they can support playing ISO images, they can do most anything they want for any format desired. As soon as a manufacturer tries to do this they will get smacked. They will need to license legal DVD code and be required to support Macrovision and who knows what other DRM crap
I do not agree with that at all. The hardware manufacturer could simply choose not to support DVD-Video playback, thus remove the need to CSS and Macrovision decrypting code, or the hardware manufacturer could 'simply' add a hardware chip (for example from Broadcom or Sigma Designs) that takes care of the CSS, Macrovision, and even Blu-ray decrypting (with the license needed included in the cost of that hardware chip), ...then note that there are loads of stand-alone media-extenders and network-players available today that does not even feature a DVD-ROM drive (yet many of them do support playback of ISO and IMG DVD-images).

Remember that there are several commercial MythTV System available on the market (and MythTV just like XBMC is licensed under the GPL and runs on-top of Linux):
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Com...hTV_System
BLKMGK Wrote:You DO realize that the ReadyNAS runs Linux right?

I think this is the real issue...

goldcd doesn't seem to realize that XBMC has to run on top of some sort of operating system, and that it isn't an OS in and of itself.

He basically wants XBMC on an xbox, except with HD. Well, that's what we're doing, so...

goldcd, it has to run on top of an OS, and that OS will initially be GNU/Linux.

Smile

-Wes

PS This may seem like a useless thread, but I get excited every day reading about the progress and the lofty goals of this project...
Gamester17 Wrote:I do not agree with that at all. The hardware manufacturer could simply choose not to support DVD-Video playback, thus remove the need to CSS and Macrovision decrypting code, or the hardware manufacturer could 'simply' add a hardware chip (for example from Broadcom or Sigma Designs) that takes care of the CSS, Macrovision, and even Blu-ray decrypting (with the license needed included in the cost of that hardware chip), ...then note that there are loads of stand-alone media-extenders and network-players available today that does not even feature a DVD-ROM drive (yet many of them do support playback of ISO and IMG DVD-images).

Remember that there are several commercial MythTV System available on the market (and MythTV just like XBMC is licensed under the GPL and runs on-top of Linux):
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Com...hTV_System

I'll concede that a manufacturer can get creative and work around this. Possible and likely though may not be one and the same. The chances aren't zero and perhaps it would be a terrific thing but as I said, I'm not holding my breathWink Not being able to playback ripped DVDs (or upscale them, not sure which might be the biggest issue) would certainly make the system less attractive, adding the hardware and getting it all approved by the DVD consortium would also not be "fun" I'd imagine.

In the end if it happens I'll be happy to stand and applaud with everyone else and I won't feel bad about being proven wrong but I see no reason to try and push things that way either. That's distant future though and as you pointed out the benefits would mostly be the payback of having had a commercial company give back any changes they felt needed to be made to commercialize the code. Honestly I'm not sure the code would be better. Meh, in the end it is what it is and IMO the requirement that users do some work to run it isn't too onerous.Cool
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
waldo22 Wrote:I think this is the real issue...

goldcd doesn't seem to realize that XBMC has to run on top of some sort of operating system, and that it isn't an OS in and of itself.

He basically wants XBMC on an xbox, except with HD. Well, that's what we're doing, so...

I think I see what he is getting at. He doesn't like the thought of a dozen computers in his house doing different things, and he sees an embedded box, such as his readyNAS or his xbox as something that is more like an appliance than a computer.

I also understand his problem with this. A computer with an installable OS needs its OS setting up and configuring, then the software running on it needs setting up too. With your embedded box, it just needs plugging in and setting up via a web browser or something.

I know that the main goal of XBMC is to create something that is just like this. Being a software developer, I can also see that certain steps are required to reach those goals. however, for a regular joe using the system right now, it can seem like the end result will be a bit hap-hazard. and if you have no linux experience, getting it to run just right can be daunting. when the system boots up, it won't go straight into XBMC, for example. where as I know about things like scripts and CRON, other people won't have a clue.

i.e. I can set up the cron to execute a script every 5 seconds which checks to see if XBMC is running, and if it isn't it should start it.

I don't know what I'm trying to say. I think that XBMC is great. it suits my needs perfectly. I still need to look into emulators, I haven't had time to explore it properly (I have mame and xe instaled, but haven't tried setting it all up yet. if anyone has information to save me time, it would be much appreciated). But other than that, it is great.
I run XBMC on a mini itx box and its doing everything i need bar for full high def which im not really bothered about if im really honest as most of my media is of a lower res as it stands...

Now why am I glad theirs a linux port? the Xbox itself isn't being mass produced anymore is it? so whilst its workign its great but when you start having to pick up new parts for it becomes a chore unless your good at electronics to repair power supplies and have a ready supply of compatible dvd drives then your pretty much locked into one hardware solution. For now they may be cheap to pick up but eventually getting new replacement hardware will become more expensive and harder to find.

So a linux solution for me is a better option, I get the best performance out of the hardware I have and I'm not locked into that hardware should I want to roll it out onto a different platform 6 months from now. With all the ports out there now could roll it onto what ever O/S suits me as well should I need it for a dual purpose.

Without a linux port I wouldn't have had the media player soultion I wanted. I didn't want to go buy an old xbox or pay through the nose for some hardware solution that probably wont last 3 years. I'm MORE than happy with XBMC nothing comes close to it not even at a consumer electronics level.

Projects evolve and I think this is probably the best distributed development project i've ever seen. It makes perfect sense to port to other platforms and the more it evolves the more people get involved and the more ideas get created with benefits the end user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why all the ports? Surely not the point of XBMC0