WinterFool Wrote:Hi all,
This took me a few hours to work out, so I thought I would document it here for future searches.
This describes how to stream a webcam from your pc to xbmc.
1) Setup streaming on your PC
Using Windows Media Encoder, setup a stream from your camera. It is pretty straight forward to follow the wizard.
The streaming url will be something like
Test this by plugging the url into Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer.
You should see a video stream from your webcam.
2) Create a playlist file - webcam.pls
3) Ftp the playlist into your /UserData/playlists/Video folder
4) Now in XBMC, go to Videos, select Library Mode
5) Browse to Playlists and find your webcam playlist
6) Right click (white button), select Add to Favorites
7) Done, you can now view your webcam from xbmc!
This will of course work with external webcams etc (eg: surf cams) - you just have to edit the playlist file accordingly (see wikipedia).
I am using XBMC on a windows machine and putting the playlist file in that folder structure doesn't put the file in my playlist. I can browse using the Files function under Settings to find the playlist file and execute it.
Is the location where that file is supposed to go different on a windows machine?
I can add it to favorites from the files area but is there a way to make the webcam playlist appear under the "playlists" section of videos in xbmc?
Also, how can I make my playlist loop back to the beginning when jumping through cameras.
I'm using the memphis zoo webcams in this playlist.