• 12(current)
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen
Hello again, Sorry, I thought this was put to bed too but the issues have re-occurred.

I have been having issues where i would start a video file and the audio will start but the video never does and im stuck listening to the movie/episode and looking at the menu screen only it has hung so i cant stop it from playing or anything else.
So i tried updating the SVN build a few times to see if it fixes the issue. Not sure if it has as it is random but what is now happening is the CPU usage now seems about the same no matter what i set in the driver for vsync or in xbmc for vsync. It always seems very low in the menu screen which is great but now all videos tear no matter what i do. The only way i have been able to stop the tearing is by turning "flipping" back on but then the cpu rockets to 100% when in the menus or pausing video, but is about 40% CPU usage when playing 720P content which is much lower than when flipping was off and only using vsync.
Even when my CPU utilisation was perfect when not using flipping and using vsync i could always see quality loss in video playback but not enough that it was affecting the viewing experiance to keep barking up this tree but now after this issue with the tearing no matter what i do, i can see again how much better the video playback is with flipping on. It is perfect video playback.

I think that condeming the nvida flipping option to an option that should be disabled is reducing the potential of XBMC in linux. Flipping is clearly a very good thing for watching video. The fact that it causes CPU problems in the XBMC menu and not video playback says to me there is an issue that needs to be addressed with the interface/menu not the NVIDIA driver option.

As a work around, could there be an option for flipping in XBMC like there is for vsync such as:

Flipping: Enabled , Disabled, Enabled when in Video Only

the "Enabled when in Video Only" would be the work around.
Flipping can be enabled from the driver with out the need to reload the X session same as vsync.

With flipping on, it vsync does not become an issue in video, whether it is on or off the video is perfect.

I am so supprised that no one else sees the quality difference when flipping is on. Im sure i cant be the only one? Maybe i watch too much TV/Movies and have "an eye" for quality. Maybe it is something that is unique to my setup/equipment. One thing it is not, is my imagination.

Sorry if i sound aggressive/pedantic I am just being frank in hope to help the development of this wonderful product. I have loved XBMC for over 5 years!

Running build: 15785
NVIDIA Driver version: 173.14.12
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
Sorry to say man, just compared flipping on/off video quality over here, using a 8500gt. I don't see a difference .... no matter what. My SD content looks the same, and the few HD trailers and movies I got here to test don't seem to care either if flipping is on or off. For me the quality is absolutely fine no matter what flipping option is set.

boba
Thanks for giving it a go fella. Out of curiosity, what size screen are you displaying it to and what reolution/refresh rate? Im using a 42" Plasma Pioneer running at 1080i@60Hz (30 interlaced i guess)

What i see is horizontal tearing during fades and fast motion if i dont have it on. Before when it was working fine with out flipping it was reduced dramaticaly but still there. Now with flipping (as always with flipping in the fast too) it is perfect.
ASRock Ion 330 | 6TB Drobo | Pioneer PDP-4270XD (s/pdif) | Sony DAV-DZ810W | Logitech Harmony 885 (MCE remote emulation)| diNovo Mini
shagworthy_uk Wrote:Thanks for giving it a go fella. Out of curiosity, what size screen are you displaying it to and what reolution/refresh rate? Im using a 42" Plasma Pioneer running at 1080i@60Hz (30 interlaced i guess)

What i see is horizontal tearing during fades and fast motion if i dont have it on. Before when it was working fine with out flipping it was reduced dramaticaly but still there. Now with flipping (as always with flipping in the fast too) it is perfect.

Hey man, I am hooked up to a Pana 46PZ80 via HDMI. 1920x1080 Panel. Refresh rate is 50hz.
I think I know the effects you are talking about, but I get those problems in fast scenes when I have VSYNC disabled. You sure, that VSYNC is on? I can reproduce that kinda easy, turning off vsync for video playback gives me tearing, 100%.

boba
boba23 Wrote:Hey man, I am hooked up to a Pana 46PZ80 via HDMI. 1920x1080 Panel. Refresh rate is 50hz.
I think I know the effects you are talking about, but I get those problems in fast scenes when I have VSYNC disabled. You sure, that VSYNC is on? I can reproduce that kinda easy, turning off vsync for video playback gives me tearing, 100%.

boba

Yep 100% it is on. Thats the problem, no mater what i do with vsync now since the last 25 svn revisions or so i get tearing. tried every vsync option there is: the enviroment variable, the driver or/and xbmc (every combination). Flipping on resolves it in any configuration. Just watched 1 HD (720) file perfectly with no issues (while playing CPU 40%) and watching an SD no and is perfect. Turn off flipping and the both are ruined.
I know, i sounds like a vsync issue and probably is but flipping is resolving the video playback for me totaly and better than ever. I said this from the start (of this thread i think somwhere) that flipping makes video playback so smooth it is unreal. I have deleted xbmc and recompiled from fresh many times to the same affect. Also tried in 50 and 60htz with no difference.

Real head scratcher.

Also, besides my current issue, what im trying to say is: Flipping is damn good technology that should not be condemned. It can benifit playback (and make menus smother if it was not for the CPU issues it causes in the menu) and does for me and probably others too (maybe) but is only switched off as there seems to be a bug in xbmc that sends the CPU sky high when this is on. It should not be just switched off as that is not a resolution to a problem with xbmc, only a band-aid fix/work around. The option in xbmc to enable flipping in video only would be a better fix in my opinion (if it can be done).
XBMC team, i hope my comments are usefull, and not taken as me bitching. I am just trying to help in the only way i can, which is using XBMC every single day for all my media needs and reporting my findings.
@ shagworthy_uk

Do you have triplebuffer enabled in xorg.conf? Im asking because when i enable it i get video tearing no matter what the v-sync setting. I also have flipping disabled. Might be worth a look.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:@ shagworthy_uk

Do you have triplebuffer enabled in xorg.conf? Im asking because when i enable it i get video tearing no matter what the v-sync setting. I also have flipping disabled. Might be worth a look.

cheers

Btw, what temps are you guys getting when overclocking the X2 to 3ghz+. I didn't try more than 2850 yet with mine, but testing it with cpuburn I get core temps of 41/42 degs celsius. Using a Scythe Ninja mini cooler. I don't want to bump up my fans, since this machine was built in the first place to be SILENT in the living room ;-)

boba
boba23 Wrote:Btw, what temps are you guys getting when overclocking the X2 to 3ghz+. I didn't try more than 2850 yet with mine, but testing it with cpuburn I get core temps of 41/42 degs celsius. Using a Scythe Ninja mini cooler. I don't want to bump up my fans, since this machine was built in the first place to be SILENT in the living room ;-)

boba

Watching a 1080p movie for 30 mins, using sensors i get a temp of between 49 and 58 degs celsuis on either core. atm im clocked at 3.325ghz. The fan on my shuttle speeds up a bit playing 1080p but nothing notable.The shuttle comes with a really big copper heatsink and fan. I think that makes the differance.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
Alright, one more thing ... I guess you are not using cool&quiet when oc'ing right? I was looking for a way to overclock and keep using cool&quiet for automatic frequency scaling under linux, since I use to do it that way in Windows with e.g. RMClock.
That's still a reason why I also consider using WinXP as Platform for XBMC, cause some things simply work better out of the box ... like overclocking, standby etc etc.

boba
Thumbs Up 
harryzimm Wrote:@ shagworthy_uk

cheers

Man i think that solved it! looks good now! I will test a few more files but all looks sweet! Thanks harryzimm!

My CPU is 3.2Ghz dual core without overclocking it so never found the need to yet as it is dedicated as my XBMC/Myth (Freesat) box and like to keep it quiet.

Only have a few niggles left now then i am going to document all my settings as this is so close to perfect.

Thanks for everyones help!
Glad it helped Big Grin. Im not sure why it causes tearing but there doesn't seem to be any benefit from enabling triplebuffer anyway.

cheers.
Any news on how things are progressing with this bug?

I still have 100% CPU with Beta2. I must say it feels kind of sad. Sad

Any chance this bug will be resolved once the release goes final? Somehow I have the feeling this will not be the case...
I think most people on linux don't have it anymore. What configuration do you have? Which drivers? What xorg.conf settings?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hmm, tslayer, I think the ATI issue wasn't solved, was it? I was switching to my Nvidia card. But I don't know of any real fix for ATI users ...

boba
tslayer Wrote:I think most people on linux don't have it anymore. What configuration do you have? Which drivers? What xorg.conf settings?

I still got nearly 100% cpu when idle.
I use XBMC beta 2 and GA-MA78GM-S2H on Ubuntu. I use these drivers, 8.9
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux...adeon.html

My xorg.conf is:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "se"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "EnableMonitor" "crt1,lvds,tv,tmds1,crt2,tmds2,cv,tmds2i"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

I've read this thread, and still dont understand if there's anything I can do to solve my problem, thats really works?

If I use a patch now, can I still update XBMC later, and the patch will not be a problem? I will not solve it temperary now, and later, for exampel beta 3, this 100% cpu problem is solved, but will not work cause a patch?

Thanks for help...

/Söder
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen1