• 14(current)
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen
First let me start with a really MASSIVE THANKS! to the Xbmc team for this magnificent MediaCentre program.

My cpu is doing the same thing. I thought it was sorted with a tip from another post on here, disabling Flipping in nvidia-settings. But that lead to very choppy video playback, so I re-enabled flipping & discovered that "Always Enable" V Blank sync within Xbmc brought the cpu usage down considerably.

But now since the latest update even that has no affect. I refuse to disable Flipping because of the problems it causes with video playback. I've tried many other variations of settings between Xbmc & nvidia-settings, nothing works. So what to do?Sad

Apart from the high Cpu usage, there is no problem with performance, everything else seems to be running smoothly. But the Cpu running at 100% (sitting idle on the menu screen) couldn't be good.

I really love using Xbmc. It'd be great if we finally got this sorted.
I took some time today and compiled from source revision 15873. I applied both the vsync-workaround-manual.patch and the surface.patch from this thread http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4382. After the patch I am still having the same issue. My graphics card is an ati HD3200. I'm still getting these messages in my log:

INFO: GL: Enabling VSYNC
WARNING: EnableVSync - glXGetVideoSyncSGI failed, glcontext probably not direct
WARNING: EnableVSync - glXSwapIntervalSGI failed
WARNING: EnableVSync - glXSwapIntervalMESA failed
ERROR: GL: Vertical Blank Syncing unsupported

I don't see any of the log messages added by the patch either.
I finaly managed to apply the patch, thanks to frumpy_uk!

I'm dissapointed to say that it didn't do any improvements. Anyways here is how you apply the patch:

For the first time:

# sudo apt-get install subversion
# cd $HOME
# svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot...xport/XBMC

In order to update the source code (and clean old make files):

# cd $HOME/XBMC
# svn up
# make clean

Then download the patch: http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/4...face.patch
Click on the surface_patch and at the bottom at the page and click download file.

The current list of required packages for each supported version is located in the README.linux file in the SVN

Put the file in home/youruser/XBMC/guilib

# cd $HOME/XBOX/guilib/
# patch -p0 < surface.patch

# cd $HOME/XBMC
# ./configure
# make
# sudo make install

Everything is now taken care of by the install script. Simply run the xbmc command from anywhere:

# xbmc

This should compile and install it for you. For more information about compiling look here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code

Hope this helps someone, because I used alot of time figuring this one out.
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Musta78: The patch only improved things for me when I had set v-sync to Always enabled. Good luck
Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm that disabling flipping worked on my XBMC (nvidia) setup. I no longer have the 100% utilization on one of the cores while paused/idle fullscreen. It's now back under 5% idle and appears normal on video playback.

Thanks Drewjacks0n, tslayer and everyone else confirming the NoFlip option usage.

REF: Added in xorg.conf, device section
Option "NoFlip" "1"

Specs: XBMC Atlantis Beta 2, Nvidia Driver 173.14, Ubuntu 8.04-10, AMD x2 3800+ (S939), Nvidia 8600 GT
Btw, you can also turn off flipping in the nvidia control panel. I think that does the job for me, without modding xorg.conf. Though I am not 100% sure, since I didn't have much time lately to play with my HTPC. Still work in progress ;-)
I have been stuggling through this 100% cpu problem using an ATI HD 3200 integrated card and had a question about the surface.patch and the newer vsync-manual-beta2.patch. Do these patches require a particular build or SVN version in order to apply?

Thanks
I believe that the newest revision from svn has this bug fixed. From the trac:

elupus Wrote:It can also be enabled for linux by adding an advancedsetting of <forcedswaptime>1.0</forcedswaptime>, where the value means how much time to allocate for the actual swapping of backbuffer to frontbuffer.

Check out the ticket for more information.
I am currently running SVN:15956. Do I need to update to a newer build?
On the ticket page bb10 mentions it working with revision 15906. If you have something newer the fix should be there.

Please look at the comments for the ticket more closely next time before asking a question.
Recent posts in the ticket doesn't even mention ATI. Added to that, they keep talking about Windows when the ticket clearly is filed under "Linux". Also, the latest posts discuss NVidia and not ATI.

Anyway... having 30% or 100% CPU when idling in the menus doesn't even matter. What matters is that it should be 0%. Anything higher than that doesn't really cut it.
d00chris Wrote:Anyway... having 30% or 100% CPU when idling in the menus doesn't even matter. What matters is that it should be 0%. Anything higher than that doesn't really cut it.

Patch welcome! Mind you, XBMC isn't your average GUI app. It's way closer to a video game. Find me a game that idles in the menus with 0% CPU.
althekiller Wrote:Patch welcome! Mind you, XBMC isn't your average GUI app. It's way closer to a video game. Find me a game that idles in the menus with 0% CPU.

OK, 0 % maybe shouldn't be the goal, but at least should I be able to have my htpc/server on with xbmc running, without knowing that more (or the same) cpu is being used being idle then watching a HD-movie.

Does you guys know what the problem with ATI is? You say its solved in the latest xbmc, but as I understand, its only for nvidia?

/Söder
This problem has not been sorted for Nvidia. I've had this problem for a while now & as I stated in an earlier post I had it sort of fixed, enabling the option V blank sync "Always enabled" in the screen settings of Xbmc. But that doesn't even work now since the last update.

Im sure the Xbmc guys will come up with something soon, fingers crossed:o
I dont know if ATI has done anything, but now running on a fresh Ubuntu 8.10 and XBMC beta 2, I think my cpu is lower.

Havnt done any changed or patching to achieve that.

All I done is to change to DVI-HDMI instead of VGA.

Im checking with "top" in a terminal, but I dont know if that correct? Before xbmc was in near 100%, now it looks like this.

And now Im updating my library also...

5514 root 20 0 403m 94m 29m S 42 5.3 59:21.15 Xorg
7445 root 20 0 236m 50m 17m S 32 2.8 5:10.21 xbmc.bin

EDIT
This is now listening to music
Is this OK, and how does "top" work with dual cores?

/Söder
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen1