• 1(current)
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen
Hi, I'm currently getting near 100% CPU (typically about 96% XBMC) whenever I'm in fullscreen mode.

My installed version is from svn yesterday afternoon.
Debug log: http://pastebin.ca/955172

The debug log covers me starting XBMC in windowed mode, switching to full screen for a few seconds, switching back to windowed mode and closing XBMC. CPU usage is low for the two periods when it's in windowed mode and high during fullscreen.

System info:
Ubuntu Gutsy
Intel P4 641 @ 3.2GHz
Nvidia 8600GT
Current proprietary nVidia driver (current official Gutsy version that is)
1GB RAM.

I hope that's enough info, let me know if there's anything else you need.
ssh in and do a top on the computer if you can. check if it's really xbmc. i had issues with the damn search indexer wreaking havoc on my install.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yeah it is, already checked top from my desktop. Also it's consistent with switching XBMC to full screen and back.
I have Trackerd uninstalled btw, and no Beagle.. hate those things. Slocate's updatedb still runs but that wasn't running when I generated the log.
It is an opengl issue. There are other threads that cover the same issue. I see it as well (1 core maxed when idle).
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Unfortunately that log doesn't say much. What would be useful however in this case, would be the output of a system profiler. Something like sysprof would be perfect. You should be able to apt-get install it. Here's a brief HOW-TO regarding its usage. Basically, you want to start profiling before entering fullscreen mode, wait for about 15-20 seconds as the profiler samples the system. Exit fullscreen, stop the profiler, save the output and link it here so we can take a look.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Am not seeing this on my system, one difference I am noting is the NVIDIA driver. the official Ubuntu driver is older, in fact NVIDIA will not support it if you ask questions in their forum as they want you on the latest driver. I installed the latest using ENVY and it was a smooth hands-off install. You might want to try that to see if it helps as well. Check to make sure Vsync is on too as that has been mentioned in the past and also reduced my CPU usage at idle.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
OK well when I get a chance (some time in the next couple of days) I'll profile with the current drivers, post a zip link here and then see if the latest drivers from nVidia's site fix it.

Cheers
Here's the sysprof output.

http://slight.overtops.org/tmp/xbmc_full...ysprof.zip

Will report back on driver update later.
Yep, driver update to latest nvidia from their site fixes it.
slight Wrote:Here's the sysprof output.

http://slight.overtops.org/tmp/xbmc_full...ysprof.zip

Will report back on driver update later.

Based on this, it appears that an awful lot of time is being spent in the kernel, which seems to suggest a driver issue. In addition, it seems to be driver version 100.14.19 released in September 18, 2007. There have been 5 releases since then, so there's a good chance that a driver update will fix the issue.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

That's the current supported driver on Gutsy, but yes the latest does fix it.

Unfortunately it also screws up my HD output, despite nvidia-settings and xvidtune seeming to think I'm outputting 720p, my projector is receiving 1080/60i, which makes for horrible fuzzy text as it's being scaled twice :/
Heh, good was starting to wonder why I wasn't seeing the same issue on my system! As for the resolution, the later drivers seem to respond to EDID differently and to some of the NVIDIA commands as well. It's possible that you need to remove some stuff or tweak the xorg.conf a bit for these drivers. I only updated mine because I was having fits trying to get my VIZIO panel working and the NVIDIA guys have a sticky pretty much insisting you use the latest drivers before asking for help. ENVY was a godsend!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I'll have a poke around xorg.conf thanks. Annoying though because I'd finally got it all working without any modelines or faffing around with disabling parts of EDID, just using the nVidia built-in modes like 1280x720_60, 1920x1080_24 etc. Hohum!

Anyway now I can have XBMC launch fullscreen when the box powers up which is a big plus. Smile
OK it turns out this issue hasn't gone away with the latest nVidia driver after all, it just takes a minute or two to manifest.

Here's a new sysprof dump:

http://slight.overtops.org/tmp/xbmc_cpuu...prof_2.zip

The system's still spending a lot of time in libGLcore.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Near 100% CPU in fullscreen1