Issue 2 - Random screen swapping when loading or a file finishes
Doesn't happen always, but often enough that it's turned into a big issue. I play Kodi on Monitor 2, and *supposedly* I have that locked into Kodi's display settings. But sometimes when a program finishes, it jumps onto Monitor 1 - then I need to move it back (and confirm that I accept the 'resolution change' - which it never asked me when it changed itself). For my setup, not that big a deal - just a hassle. On the GFs setup, with a 3-monitor card where Output1 displays in the living room, when Kodi flips screens, or opens on the wrong one, that means she needs to go into the computer room, power on those monitors, and move Kodi where it belongs (and should be locked) - made even more difficult by the confirmation screen. And, of course, this is all MY fault.

Basically I need a way to indisputably lock Kodi onto a particular monitor, unless specifically moved (so none of this random-flipping); and for it to ONLY re-open on a specific monitor when the program is launched.
Sounds normal. I don't think there is a way to prevent that behaviour. I had the same issue. I attached a second screen so I can stream my security camera footage. If I turned my TV on or off, Kodi would jump to the second 15" monitor. If there was a refresh rate change, Kodi would jump to the second monitor, and the camera feed would now be on my 65" screen. And at times, they would refuse to swap back, forcing me to restart.

My fix... Computer swap meet, $55 second hand laptop.

I have been told a lot of work has gone into dual monitor support, though.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
"Normal" shouldn't be "acceptable" though (although yes, I do recognize this is a community-driven free-ware program)... I don't have my audio software, VLC Media, Windows' Groove Music (or whatever it's called) or any other applications just choose to be elsewhere. I know there are priorities in software development, but this one seems like it should be pretty high on the list.
You can thank HDPC or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw...Protection for this behaviour, loose handshaking and the display reverts to default and Kodi remembers this last set. The work-round is the Display (wiki) pin #19 trick, read and weep.
Download eventghost and you can program it to automagically move kodi to whichever screen you would like as soon as the monitor/tv is detected.
@PatK Tried the Pin-19 thing (you're right, that's a lot of reading). I had a spare port-saver extension, and I just yanked Pin19 out instead of the tape trick, and it wouldn't register a signal at all. I grabbed another adapter, and tried the tape trick, and it ended up dropping the signal twice in an hour (hang-crashing Kodi)... Either way, didn't quite work out.

I use WinSplit as my window-management app, and it would work beautifully, including in this case (hassle, but not unmanageable) - EXCEPT for the popup that asks if you accept the resolution change (which is odd, since all three monitors are 1080p)... Since the window is on a screen in another room, it's not really viable to address the pop-up warning - and the application move is blocked because of it. Is there a way to either disable this warning if the resolution is indeed the same (allowing the app to bounce between monitors seamlessly), or create a Video Setting option from which it can be disabled - Confirm Resolution Change (Y<-->N)

@Fail$ - Fortunately WinSplit will accommodate the needs of moving windows around with simple keyboard commands (even invisibly to get a screen back on the monitor I'm watching). E.G. seems like a really neat tool - kind of kitting a mosquito with a sledgehammer in this case though Wink And ultimately, if that resolution change popup blocks the application move, then it's still hung up :/
The Pin #19 trick sometimes works if the issue is handshaking and there are other workarounds in this thread. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432 I'm not familiar with the functionality of WinSplit and if it's coming up with notifications, that does not seem reasonable, I doubt this is your answer.

Reviewing this thread at the top you mention "doesn't happen always" and by that statement conversely, it sometimes works? If this is the case, then I suspect it's the order of in which the hardware is activated. I virtually have no issues with extended or duplicate screens, as long as I've turned on the panels prior to launching Kodi, and exiting Kodi before shutting down the panels, allows me to re-launch in the same position and screen (as long as the hardware is in the same configuration), as Kodi remembers the windowed position and screen. Multi-tasking with Kodi and windows has always been a bit of a challenge and seems to come down to a bit of serendipity.
Winsplit is just an application window manager... For example, I hit Ctrl-Shift-Left to move an application from my Right monitor to my Left. Or Ctrl-Win-KP9, and it takes the top-right corner of whatever monitor it's working on. It's a great little program for window management - IF the application isn't in a locked-state.

Here is a screenshot of the dreaded popup that is ultimately causing the majority of problems:
http://www3.telus.net/fhldevils/popup.jpg

As for frequency, on my setup, it always launches on R-Monitor, but will sometimes (~20% of the time) bounce to the Left after a show is completed (and it hops into the background, making it increasingly annoying)... Or if the monitors go into sleep mode, it will shift over ~75% of the time if it's in the middle of a show (paused)... Although is doesn't (or rarely does) move if it's sleep mode on the files-listing screen... Go figure

On the GFs 3-monitor setup, it rarely automatically launches on the TV (HDMI, Mtr1), and is on one of the other two. Using WinSplits Ctrl-Shift-Left, I can bounce it one monitor over, but since the default monitor is the far right one, then it gets hung up on the middle monitor with that damn popup that blocks further movement until it's addressed.

The bouncing screen thing is a pain, but it's a manageable one (I still don't understand why it can't be fixed since every other app is able to stay locked - but that's another discussion at this point)... The killer now is the requirement for user-interaction on a screen move - whether that move is voluntary, or it's a correction to what the program did of its own accord. If the user interaction could be disabled (as per Post #6), then still a hassle, but at least it can be worked around without changing rooms and turning on different monitors.

*** Just finished watching that show in the image, and when it finished, it bounced monitors. So I put that show back on and set it to play the last ~10 seconds... This time it did NOT bounce. So....?
Spend $40 and get a dedicated computer for kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-22, 23:17)nickr Wrote: Spend $40 and get a dedicated computer for kodi.

Not useful.
If you are just going to use keyboard commands, can't you just use Windows Key+Shift+Direction Arrow to move Kodi between the monitors? I just tried it and regardless of the resolution change popup, it moves to the monitor of my choosing. You just have to press enter one more time to accept the resolution change.

*EDIT* This is on Windows 10 with a 3 monitor setup.
(2017-09-23, 18:38)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: You just have to press enter one more time to accept the resolution change.

Since the default is 'no', you actually can't just hit enter, or it will revert the change.

What it comes down to is that the GF (actually an Ex & still business partner, but it's just easier to say GF) is pissed at me for putting in this system - and I'm tired of her being pissed at me over something that would be bulletproof if only Kodi wouldn't bounce around of its own accord.
Hmmm.....using 17.3 with titan skin keeps default on yes. Maybe it's skin dependent, not sure. Either way, once it's on the screen just press the arrow key and enter, especially since you already going to be using just keyboard commands.
Yes, I understand there are ways around - all fine and good for us patient technical types - not so good for keyboard mashers that just want it to work without hassle... The point is whether that confirmation screen has to be there at all. And to keep harping on the initial point - somehow other apps (including video players) can isolate on one screen, so...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue 2 - Random screen swapping when loading or a file finishes0