[REQUEST] Arcade Emulator Launcher Plugin for XBMC (that's a Plugin so not a Script)?
To be fair I think I might give it ago, just making it pretty will be the problem, anyways thanks once again, I knew i wasn't wrong.
some hints on the way:

the xbmc.org/wiki and other scripts plus google and python.org is a real good informationsource

also these forums and ofcourse irc freenode .. #xbmc-scripting and #python

editors: linux (i find SPE a good one) and windows (pyscripter)
Quote:just making it pretty will be the problem

if you make it a plugin instead of a script, that won't be a problem
rwparris2 Wrote:if you make it a plugin instead of a script, that won't be a problem

You lost me there...?
You can make python scripts and pyton plugins in xbmc - scripts need their own window and layout etc. while python plugins sort of use the xbmc gui to display - in your case - the rom listing you hand over with your plugin. Most of the streaming plugins found in the python section of the forum use this principle, they never had to write code for a gui, they would more or less just pass xbmc a list of video links and xbmc lists those like it would list movies or music.
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:You can make python scripts and pyton plugins in xbmc - scripts need their own window and layout etc. while python plugins sort of use the xbmc gui to display - in your case - the rom listing you hand over with your plugin. Most of the streaming plugins found in the python section of the forum use this principle, they never had to write code for a gui, they would more or less just pass xbmc a list of video links and xbmc lists those like it would list movies or music.

Ah right, thanks for that, would make it a lot easier.
Had a good read into python, seems straight forward enough (don't mean to over simplify it, just for my needs don't think it'll take me too long to figure out) well that is with asking a few questions here and there.
Quote:...was going to look into writing plugins for launching emulators.
Leo2 has written a plugin aptly named "Launcher" that not only launches ROMs from within XBMC, but any other executable you might have. Oh yeah, it also works on all platforms. Check it out here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739

-Mic
Do you know any working launcher for epsxe emulator in linux? i have tried some of them and anyone working

thx
Lightbulb 
Good Day All,

I have asked about this before (well if it was possible) and I have been told yes. I have even been told it is easy to do. I have no scripting / coding knowledge and attempted but failed miserably. I suppose this is due to (other than the concept of the one script) I don’t have any interest in python.
Anyways I thought I might request it on the off chance someone would be kind enough / up to the challenge.

My concept was an emulator script that worked with samba. Obviously the emulators would be local (on the Xbox) but the roms would be held on your computer. (Yes I appreciate you could just install a bigger HD in your Xbox and store them there but then we come into issues with FATX and file name length.)
The idea would be you searched through your games/roms folder over the network and when you see a game you want to play the script would copy this over the network and store it to a temp folder on your Xbox. Once the transfer was completed the script would run a command line for the emulator to run that game.
As not all emulators on the Xbox support the feature where games could be run from a command, what I thought would be best is to still have the samba search feature but instead of running it straight off there would be an 'install game' option that would transfer the game to the relevant folder (relevant to the emulator, ie NES would be something like Q:\Apps\Emulation\Nes\InstalledGames\). Then the emulator would then be ran once the file has finished being transferred. You would then select the game manually from within the emulators GUI. This feature could also be an alternate option for even when running the game directly though a command is available, as sometimes your samba shares aren’t always available. (May be a share off a USB drive you don’t always use)

Just some further notes: (sorry if these are obvious they’re just my “two cents”Wink

- Where the file is transferred to a temp folder, this could be generic throughout.
By this I mean regardless of the emulator being used they could all be sent to something like Q:\TempGames. (Unless this causes a problem to run them.)

- There may be issues with save states / screen shots but I’d presume that would have more to do with the actual emulators themselves.

- Games could be renamed to game.extention to resolve any FATX file name length problems (also why I would think it would be best to stick to a direct folder on a drive letter, as I believe the directory name affects the name length.

- Would it be hard to implement an image per game, by using .tbn files?

Well that’s about it from me. Sorry for any ignorance or misconception I have.
Anybody willing to take this challenge up or perhaps be willing to say “You’re an idiot, this is simple. Just use this bit of code here and there and your done”.
It would be much faster and simpler to just get the bigger hard drive and rename your files down to something "less lengthy". I don't have the FATX problem your talking about with my ROMs, so I'm confused why it wouldn't be working for you.

The idea you have is interesting, but very time consuming, as you seem to be describing a customized emulator. I'll be shocked if you find someone up to creating a new emulator. Try contacting programmers in readme.txt files for Xbox emulators and see if they can add your beloved "Samba" support to an existing emulator. This would be more likely to happen.
iRoNBiLL Wrote:It would be much faster and simpler to just get the bigger hard drive and rename your files down to something "less lengthy". I don't have the FATX problem your talking about with my ROMs, so I'm confused why it wouldn't be working for you.

The idea you have is interesting, but very time consuming, as you seem to be describing a customized emulator. I'll be shocked if you find someone up to creating a new emulator. Try contacting programmers in readme.txt files for Xbox emulators and see if they can add your beloved "Samba" support to an existing emulator. This would be more likely to happen.

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain myself too well in the original post.

Some emulators could be run with a shortcut file, I can’t remember what they were called, but basically it would have something like this:

Q:\emus\xsnesx\default.xbe "Q:\emus\xsnesx\games\mario.smc"

This is what I used to use on my old xbox with a larger HD.

So yeah I guess creating the shortcut file may be necessary to run it.

It's more of a front end then an emulator.

I used to use Retro-X, the concept I have is basically the same just with samba support.
This is what I used to use when I stored games locally to the Q drive:

Quote:<shortcut>
<path>f:\emulators\NeoGenesis\default.xbe</path>
<label>Sonic the Hedgehod</label>
<thumb>f:\thumbs\sonic.png</thumb>
<custom>
<game>f:\emulators\NeoGenesis\sgenroms\Sonic the Hedgehog.smd</game>
</custom>
</shortcut>

This would be saved as a .cut file.

So couldn’t it be possible to search a samba share then get a python script to write a local .cut file after transfering the game from the samba share?

I.e.:

You're searching through smb:\\comp\snes\games and you see a game you like so you click on it and select play/install.

When you click on play it transfers the file to your Xbox and saves it to a local folder such as:
Quote:Q:\Scriptname\temp

or if necessary for the emulator, a relevant folder to the emulator, such as the above:

Quote:Q:\emulators\NeoGenesis\sgenroms\

At this point get the script (if this is even possible, I don’t know) to write a .cut file and execute it. (Something along the lines of the one quote originally above).

Note to admin:

Sorry if this is considered "bumping" but I believe this post to be adding further content to the topic, albeit perhaps redundant.

Edit: Okay I appreciate this isn't the easiest of tasks. Could someone give me a push in the right direction? Perhaps show me an example of how to get a script to browse a samba share (or is that in itself highly complicated?).
Well in short, check the readme.txt files on your emulators and maybe there is something in there about using a different storage area for holding ROMS and Samba support. Otherwise if your trying to get this to work on an Xbox emulator, e-mail the emulator creator and they would probably get you instructions on how to do this faster than waiting for a response here. Good luck with that!

iRoNBiLL
If I'm correct can't he just launch a PC emulator and roms from the launcher program?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739

Let me know if it works out for you.Also,if you download the launcher and try it,make sure you read over the thread in the above link as it does have bugs.
TrentLane Wrote:Good Day All,

I have asked about this before (well if it was possible) and I have been told yes. I have even been told it is easy to do. I have no scripting / coding knowledge and attempted but failed miserably. I suppose this is due to (other than the concept of the one script) I don’t have any interest in python.
Anyways I thought I might request it on the off chance someone would be kind enough / up to the challenge.

My concept was an emulator script that worked with samba. Obviously the emulators would be local (on the Xbox) but the roms would be held on your computer. (Yes I appreciate you could just install a bigger HD in your Xbox and store them there but then we come into issues with FATX and file name length.)
The idea would be you searched through your games/roms folder over the network and when you see a game you want to play the script would copy this over the network and store it to a temp folder on your Xbox. Once the transfer was completed the script would run a command line for the emulator to run that game.
As not all emulators on the Xbox support the feature where games could be run from a command, what I thought would be best is to still have the samba search feature but instead of running it straight off there would be an 'install game' option that would transfer the game to the relevant folder (relevant to the emulator, ie NES would be something like Q:\Apps\Emulation\Nes\InstalledGames\). Then the emulator would then be ran once the file has finished being transferred. You would then select the game manually from within the emulators GUI. This feature could also be an alternate option for even when running the game directly though a command is available, as sometimes your samba shares aren’t always available. (May be a share off a USB drive you don’t always use)

Just some further notes: (sorry if these are obvious they’re just my “two cents”)

- Where the file is transferred to a temp folder, this could be generic throughout.
By this I mean regardless of the emulator being used they could all be sent to something like Q:\TempGames. (Unless this causes a problem to run them.)

- There may be issues with save states / screen shots but I’d presume that would have more to do with the actual emulators themselves.

- Games could be renamed to game.extention to resolve any FATX file name length problems (also why I would think it would be best to stick to a direct folder on a drive letter, as I believe the directory name affects the name length.

- Would it be hard to implement an image per game, by using .tbn files?

Well that’s about it from me. Sorry for any ignorance or misconception I have.
Anybody willing to take this challenge up or perhaps be willing to say “You’re an idiot, this is simple. Just use this bit of code here and there and your done”.

what does roms have to do with xbmc? there are programs for xbox that already do this...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Arcade Emulator Launcher Plugin for XBMC (that's a Plugin so not a Script)?0