Weird video problem ATI Mobility 9600 on Hardy
XBMC is working great on my main computer however I thought I'd give it a shot on my IBM T42 Laptop. Everything builds and runs fine, however, when I play videos, this is what happens, http://www.rpi.edu/~kerstd/Screenshot-1.png . This is with an ATI Mobility 9600 with the ATI FGLRX Driver in Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dustin
Just a quick note, playing videos in mplayer or totem does not exhibit this behavior, only XBMC.
Well neither mplayer or totem doesn't use OpenGL so its no reference Smile
You could force mplayer to use opengl and try that (don't remember the command) and which driver did you use, envy or the ones from ubuntu?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I think it's the -xv tag, I'll try it.I used whatever fglrx driver that comes with an up to date Hardy install as of today via the Ubuntu repositories.
Mplayer with the -vo gl tag plays the video fine.
As with -vo xv
mplayer -vo gl or -vo gl2
Is the command.

Still I must say that Hardy is very shaky and not supported. Aswell with ati.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Both of the above work fine for every video I have tested. Strange.
it looks abit like my issues when I didn't have tripplebuffer, but just a little.
Still I'd suggest too try the Envy package and see if it's different.
And try gutsy Smile

Using the EnvyNG and installing the ATI driver resulted in the same behavior. Mplayer can still play the video fine using -vo gl or -vo gl2. Ubuntu Hardy has been working fine on my other computer (Geforce 7100 IGP). I guess I'll give Gutsy a shot and wait until Hardy is released. Any other ideas though? I've tried enable/disabling composite, changing video scaling method, enabling/disabling vsync.
Well one thing you could try is going fullscreen and try to do a screenshot from XBMC by pressing printscreen. Should show if it's XBMC or driver related

Screenshots from within XBMC in fullscreen mode exhibit the same behavior.
same identical problem here withato radeon xpress 1100 and ubuntu i386 with r12377 and fglrx drivers from ubuntu repositories... as i've got compiz active, as i had some problems with mythtv before, i tried to disable it too, but no way... i tried to change the renderer and the video size, but still no change in the behaviour.
of course, all is working well on another pc running ubuntu amd64 but with a nvidia card... maybe xbmc doesn't like to be run on amd laptops? Smile
Very interesting Succo, it's not that big of a deal as I am just using my laptop to test new builds, but I would like to find out what is causing this problem. By the way, my laptop is a T42 with a 1.8ghz Pentium M.
Looks like the same problem with the ATI drivers as here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30185&page=3
Haven't tried Hardy yet, but you can try to fix it the same way I did in Gutsy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird video problem ATI Mobility 9600 on Hardy0