I would like to send something to the Kodi developers
Ned is that you? [emoji848]
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-11-08, 08:43)Memphiz Wrote: Ned is that you? [emoji848]

I literally laughed out loud.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
while we could probably add tons of hacks to our codebase to overcome badly written firmware/drivers of cheap boxes, it would require that we a) have all these devices to test against and b) would also have the manpower to maintain hundreds of hacks, which we clearly don't. As you guys might know, we didn't have an Android maintainer for quite some time and during that period we decided to get rid of all hacks and workarounds we had for (sorry for the wording) shitty firmware and non-standard "APIs" of chip vendors that didn't even try to support official Android APIs. This step was necessary so that we could at least keep the Android platform and didn't have to drop it. We also reached out to chipset vendors and told them that we would remove support for their non-standard APIs and that if they would like Kodi to still run nicely on their devices, that they would have to finally implement the official Android APIs. Luckily this is happening now, and we can look forward into a bright future for Android. Unfortunately many cheap chineese boxes don't do any software support and treat devices as obsolete as soon as they leave the factory. All these boxes would work just nicely if the vendors would fix the firmware.
And the reason why we recommended some higher price devices in the past is, that these where the only ones that did properly support the official Android APIs.
@devs:  Tell me, where do you find the time and patience to explain your decisions and actions time and time again.
I really would like to aquire this kind of patience (i was kinda born without ;-) ).
Personally, I don't mind these types of posts. It is a moment of education for both sides. For me, it is understanding how misunderstood Kodi is and for them "trying" to explain the real Kodi (though that doesn't seem to work in most cases).

What I find the most annoying are...

1. Members that tell you that a full debug is not required and won't reveal anything
2. Members too lazy to read the wiki, even when the exact page and section has been spoonfed to them.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Reading the OP, I thought this thread would be about how to send donations to the Kodi team.  Cool

Silly me.
If you want to know that - Donations (wiki)

https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
what a load of crap in your response to mibmt.  he did not say or even suggest that "[font]Kodi can only be loaded on cheap boxes"   he just said that there would be a lot fewer people using kodi.  and he is right.   also, he did not say anything about kodi developers being paid, so what was that little rant about pay ?  feeling a little guilty are we?  since you brought up pay, i just want to say that you will never convince me that some of these "donations" don't make it into some developer's pockets.  also, must be nice to go to conferences all around the world in places like the netherlands, germany, austria, czech, portugal and many other places, all free of charge, paid for by donations.   hell, it cost me almost six thousand dollars for a week in the bahamas.  i can imagine what the netherlands cost.  and all this equipment that is also paid for by donations is most likely sitting in developers "home offices".   so,  there is no need for you to get snarky with a poster that is speaking the truth and then you have the audacity to call him a liar.  i used the original xbmc with an [/font]Xecuter mod [font]chip and it worked great for several years until these know it all, scared, developers started kowtowing to the media establishment.  kodi sucks as it is now.  it just plain does not work consistently, no matter what, if any, box you use.  and don't say i don't know what i'm doing.  i was programming before you were born, writing payroll routines for ford with cobol and weather monitoring software with fortran. you can't say that all, (maybe some but not all), these myriad of problems with kodi  is the users fault.  it's piss poor software design. [/font]
Oh nice, another troll. Why don't you contribute to the project and become a team member to see for yourself that none of us is getting any money? And yes, the only "payment" we get are the flight and accomodation costs so that we can attend devcon or other conferences in which we try promote KODI and get in touch with HW/SW companies in order to bring KODI to the next level (or to convince ARM chipset vendors to stick to stock Android APIs instead of homebrew crap, ...). Devcon helps to get to know each other, improves the team spirit, productivity and in general is a real motivation boost to continue the work on the project in our sparetime. And yes, even though we get the flights payed for, we still need to take vacation from our day jobs. Also, most of the attendees are from Europe, so it's cheaper to also have Devcon in Europe to keep travel costs down. Having local team members also helps in organizing those events and keep costs down a bit. This year we're going to Bulgaria, which is a pretty cheap country. And since you mentioned Austria and Portugal - to those devcons we have been invited to by sponsors which payed a large part of the costs - so we did no waste donation money. Just get your facts right before you crawl out of your cave and start trolling.
(2018-08-15, 05:42)maclark1953 Wrote: i was programming before you were born, writing payroll routines for ford with cobol and weather monitoring software with fortran. you can't say that all, (maybe some but not all), these myriad of problems with kodi  is the users fault.  it's piss poor software design. [/font]
I'm guessing that 1953 is your birth year, and thus your experience in programming must be overwhelming by now... So where were you all the time since XBMC 1.0? Kodi (and XBMC before that) have constantly asked programmers on different levels to join to make our 'product' better. Apparently, you chose to do .. nothing.

All the while, Kodi has grown to be an application used by millions of users. The Kodi application is certainly not perfect (will it ever be?), but I personally cannot stand people standing at the side lines, moaning how 'good' they are (even "before you were born"), and then have nothing, really nothing to offer but nonconstructive criticism. But who knows it may not be too late for you, perhaps Kodi can still use an add-on for payroll routines, right..?
@maclark1953 

As a person that has donated over $50 (that is why my name is in orange) I find your post insulting at best. I do sincerely hope that my money goes towards the team meeting up once a year. I have ZERO issue on an ARM SOC board being bought with donation money, sitting in their 'home office'  HELL I don't even mind if a round is bought with my donation at a developer conference (please next conference - do have a round on me! Have the devcon in the UK and I would PERSONALLY pay for the round!). 

Incidentally - programming before we all were born? So, how come you can't get the fonts working properly in your post..... just an observation.....

(web designer here, HTML is not a hard mark up language to grasp)

I been using computers in one capacity or another for 36 years, yes for those that can do the maths - I have used these things since I was 6, and I know that this is a sweeping judgement, but I am assuming that Team Kodi have probably been playing with these things for roughly the same time.

Writing code is something you can either can or cannot do, hell I've tried but cannot grasp Boolean Algrabra, which some code languages  is based around. But, for those that CAN, and produce a media player in their spare time, with the gutter press writing half baked 'news' about the media player, then they should get some small reward (a trip to Europe or a Raspberry Pi board, or even a server for the Kodi forum to sit on) for their efforts.

Kodi is only piss poor when you add poorly designed third party add-ons to the mix - THAT DON'T COME FROM TEAM KODI.

Vanilla Kodi with a PVR add-on works just fine, is stable as a rock (unless I fiddle with the setup!) and does the job very well. This is why I donated, this is why I'm on the official forum, and this is why I hate these type of troll posts.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2018-08-15, 11:09)Klojum Wrote: Apparently, you chose to do .. nothing.

Not quite right. More than three years ago they started with their own media center Smile
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2028333
Quote:the last several versions of xbmc/kodi have been so fraught with problems that i have given up on xbmc. i am now setting up my own mc.
'Setting up' does not sound like the same to me as 'writing your own application', but I'll stand corrected. However, he is one of those who cannot be satisfied with the old or the current Kodi application. Too bad, we cannot satisfy everyone. Moving on.
I'm not even sure what the OP was actually trying to complain about.
Just wanted to add that Kodia Leia is F**KING AWESOME, best Kodi to date, if I'm to end this thread ... https://youtu.be/5mkuUjAtRfY

Great Job and a thank-you to all the developers who have made Kodi what it is and all the contributors and donators that have kept this project alive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I would like to send something to the Kodi developers0