Launching FrontRow.app from within XBMC
I've never used XBMC on an Xbox, so I'm relatively new to the XBMC scene. I've been using it for about a month for Movies and TV Shows on my MacMini in the living room and I love it.

The new release adds scripting support and I was wondering if there would be a way to launch FrontRow.app from within XBMC, to use its iTunes and iPhoto capabilities until XBMC supports them.

Can this be done?
That would be really good if that would be possible!
As you said, I too use XBMC for movies and TV Shows but for music and photos Front Row is still much better. In my opinion.

I would really like XBMC to use the Itunes library and Iphoto library instead of just looking at the folder structures from the source.

So.. untill XBMC have support for this, one solution could be to open Front Row from XBMC. Does anyone know how to do this? Is it possible?

And it would be nice if it could work like... when you close Front Row with the apple remote you'll get back to XBMC.
The Walrus Wrote:I would really like XBMC to use the Itunes library and Iphoto library instead of just looking at the folder structures from the source.

Not tried library mode? http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Music#Library_Mode
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:Not tried library mode? http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Music#Library_Mode

Thank you! You were right! I forgot about even trying it. I did'n try that because I didn't know that XBMC could read the ID tag.
But I did try it now... Smile and it's ok. I can see the potential. But I still prefer Front Row for music. And specially for photos.

---
-XBMC is better because you can manage playlist direct through the interface.
-But it doesn't read the thumbnails. Even though they are embedded in the mp3-files. Maybe I need to put folder.jpg in each album-folder? And that is no fun work. Espacially when you don't have every songs/album perfectly ordered in album-folders. I use to manage all that through iTunes.
-And I only seem to find the tracks that are in album-folders in the Library Mode. I have some songs that is placed directly in the music-folder but not in an album-folder. I can't see them in the Library Mode? Even though I know that the ID tags are right in the tracks.

-Front Row is better because the thumnails just show up. If they show up in iTunes, they show up in Front Row. It just works.
-You can scroll fast through artist for example by holding the up or down buttons on the apple remote. In XBMC you have to click trhough every artist. If you have a big library that is no fun.

And about photos. I have a lot of photos on my mac. Everytime I import photos from the camera I create a new folder and put the pics in there. In each folder there can be pictures from different events.
In XBMC I can only browse through them by folders and that is not good in my case.
When I import the pics to iPhoto it automaticly create diffrent "Events" based on dates. And I can easily manage those "events" exectly how I want them in iPhoto. Or create albums if I want that.
In Front Row I can then browse through pictures based on "events", albums or just regular folders. I believe I get better order/categorisation when using Front Row. For now at least.
I began a small easybuilt plugin but from Frontrow to xbmc!!

There is a sdk/plugin for Frontrow, written in python called Frontpython (THANKS to the author!!!) :

here

I used this script and modified it to launch XBMC from Frontrow : I called it Frontxbmc Rolleyes. The transisition between Frontrow and xbmc is not perfect Big Grin but it works.

When you are quitting xbmc, you're coming back to frontrow.

I will share it as soon as i found a way to share it and a way to show an icon of xbmc in frontrow menu (for the moment just have a menu item called FrontXbmc on the top of the items list)

But you can do it yourself, it's easy to download the example shared by the author, modify the script and built the .appliance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching FrontRow.app from within XBMC0