Hardware recc. for Android - Kodi - Cable?
Hi guys!

I decided to switch from my old HTPC where I still run XBMC on win 7 to something more modern. Smile

My head hurts after researching all available options so I decided to ask for Help...

Here's what I expect from the box:
Must have:
- Android 6+ for running apps
- smooth and easy KODI experience
- optical output to my Yamaha AVR
- ethernet connectivity for fast transfer speeds from my NAS
- stable and smooth 1080 video
- low power consuption (it will be running most of the time for radio/music)

Nice to have:
- gigabit ethernet
- cable DVB TV connectivity (with descrambler for free channels)
- easy setup and reliable experience
- good remote

Thanks! Smile
Looks like a tough one huh? Smile
WeTek Play2 covers some of your requirements with its choice of inbuilt single TV tuners, which has some limitations.
It's DVB App WeTV is not the best so a lot of users flash an Android TV ROM and use TvHeadend with SPMC 16.7.1 (Kodi Jarvis)

All Android Kodi Krypton versions have problems with deinterlacing reliability when using the TvHeadend client PVR.
That is also why dual booting Android / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton of such AMLogic devices is also popular where you get a superior 4K LibreELEC Kodi setup and working Kodi PVR's.

DVB and PVR setups are never that easy, the external DVB networked tuners like the HD Homerun hardware setups can be a bit easier and that also avoids Android Kodi deinterlacing issues.

The NVIDIA Shield can have optical added via a Turtle Beach USB adapter believe. The Shield guys would know more of such setups, especially when used with the HD Homerun.

No idea about Encrypted TV on either device.

WeTek Play2 is not a HDR capable device.
Shield is a HDR capable device but it has 1080p / 4K resolution switching colorspace ssues currently.

You really need to specify if you need an Android TV device or a regular tablet/touchscreen Android device. There are differences.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recc. for Android - Kodi - Cable?0