Folders, dimensions and automatic scaling
I've always used the PAL folder for my skin, which makes things simpler for resizing at the cost of precise rendering. So now, if I run XBMC at a 1080i resolution, there are certain visual glitches and misalignments, presumably because the enlarged dimensions are being guessed from the PAL code.

Anyway, I've had enough of this now and want the skin to look perfect in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Usually, I'd just create folders for those resolutions and put the new dimensions in there. But this seems to have been complicated somewhat by the new scaling system, which now uses multiple resolutions that are separate from the usual standards of 720p etc. So how do I ensure that all these resolutions display correctly?

Ta.
I'm guessing you mean in the linux and OSX versions right because with the xbox its just fine.
On the SDL versions that allow you to set non TV standard screen resolutions it kind of works the same way. you are right in that you are seeing alignment issues because of xbmc scaling up the x , y , width , heights to 720p or 1080i (probably due to rounding)but currently and probably for ever thats the resolutions that XBMC supports for skinning. If you want to minimise the damage on real hi resolutions you need to use the one that is closest to what you will be using.
You have to remember that other things like screen calibration and skin zoom and other stuff will also alter how things are displayed so even if you make it perfect for a resolution it probably wont be right on everyones TV's anyway.

The best you can do is use the 720p and 1080i folders for the skin because you will get much better results (less rounding errors) than trying to scale dimensions for 720x576 (not even square pixel ratio) up to 1920x1080 and above (that is a square ratio)

The main downside to this is you need to completely redo the skin for 4x3 because it dosn't scale all that well but its not a problem with AEON I would think
So am I right in thinking that, if I create a 1080i folder with all the correct dimensions, that'll be the one used by the 1366x768 (Desktop) setting under Linux?
depends I guess if you have a 720p folder
I'm pretty sure it does a little maths to work out which is the closest but I'm not sure if it goes up only down
If in your skin.xml you have the default resolution 16x9 set to 1080i then yeah it probably will but if you have the Pal files and still use PAL16x9 in the skin xml files it may use that because 1920x1080 is a lot bigger than 1366x768 and it might be looking for a 720p match

Honestly though d4rk and maybe jmarshall are best to answer it since d4rk actually wrote the code for it

but I'm pretty sure it works on fall backs if the current res is bigger than 1920x1080 use the 1080i dir if exists else fall back to 720p if it exists else fall back to Pal16x9

pretty sure unless you specify it as the default resolution in skin.xml it dosn't go the other way
Its rather screwy whats get chosen. I've had people with Fusion who had to copy the files from 720p over to almost all the other folders until they got it to pick up the right stuff when set at desktop resolution.
There may possibly be issues with desktop res, but I'm not sure. Obviously copying files from 720p to elsewhere isn't going to work as the coordinate space is different.

My suggestion is to use 720p - it should scale fine to 1080i, but ofcourse if you want it pixel perfect, then use 1080i for that.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:There may possibly be issues with desktop res, but I'm not sure. Obviously copying files from 720p to elsewhere isn't going to work as the coordinate space is different.

You'd think, but it was an issue that came up with Fusion. The files for Fusion are in the 720p folder, yet for people running XBMC Linux at desktop resolution of 1280x720, it would not see the right files.

Here are some refs from the Fusion thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=168...tcount=126
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=172...tcount=142
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=172...tcount=143

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Folders, dimensions and automatic scaling0