Large Image Control?
Question 
Say what? What are these all about, then? Can someone familiar with Aeon tell me if I should be using them?
Could be of use in your photos views maybe.

From what I understand of them a largeimage is used when loading a large (in terms of file size) and will load the smaller thumb nail first and will then update that with the larger image once its loaded. It's basically a tidy way of showing the user something whilst the larger image is being downloaded.
The are ment to show the actual image scaled like slideshow does. Lets Say you have thumbs cache set to 192 (default) and ayour browsing the picturs window but show an image in your skin instead of using the listitem.icon you can show the real image instead of the thumb so it dosn't look all pixelated and stretched

Downside is over networks it can take a lot longer to download the image to display than using the thumb on Linux I just use the larger thumb cache and it looks fine in HD
Jezz_X Wrote:Downside is over networks it can take a lot longer to download the image to display than using the thumb on Linux I just use the larger thumb cache and it looks fine in HD

Nerd Yes Fantastic, and very sharp. What is the default value, under linux?
Skin.JOGGLER
----------------------------------
Download - djtoll's Add-On Repository / Add-Ons > Install from ZIP / Get Add-ons > Djtoll's Repository
The largeimage control is effectively a backgrounded version of the normal image control that uses our image library (same as used in slideshow) to load the image rather than the native xbox or sdl libraries.

It loads the image in the background (i.e. does not slow down the UI) at a size that is scaled appropriately for xbox (I think it downscales to around 720p or so).

It does not load a thumbnail before showing the main image or anything - it just loads the main image directly, and ofcourse displays the fallback image (if available) before that. It's main use is custom backgrounds etc. - it means you the skinner doesn't have to worry if the user goes and sets a bloody big 20MP image for the background.

The idea for a pictures view (as skunkm0nkee aludes to) is to have a view with a very large image (say half the screen or bigger) of the picture you are currently focused on and smaller thumbs of the other pictures around it. You then have a normal image control display the thumb in the box reserved for the large image which ofcourse would look pretty crap given the low quality of the thumb. Then you have a largeimage control over the top of it, set to load the real image (i.e. using listitem.filepath). The largeimage control loads the image in the background (i.e. doesn't slow down the UI at all) and when it's done loading it'll display it over the top of the thumb making it nice and crisp.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Be nice if multiimage coudl background load.
this should REALLY be in the wiki, I've just spent all afternoon tearing my hair out trying to make fanart behave with my animations and this thread has solved it in five seconds flat.
yeah, it just shows cached thumbs in a larger format... best used with pictures...
yeah looks like theres a noticable quality hit vs. a "real" image control but since I couldn't get my fanart control to not load the next image even though its only meant to appear on idle the load was butchering my animations, I'll take the quality hit if it means the skin runs much smoother.

in any case it ought to be in the wiki, its a totally undocumented feature otherwise.
actually does anyone know exactly how much quality i'm chucking out using the large image control? I'm curious to know because its Soooo much faster I can only assume it must be a lot.
The skin runs much smoother because the largeimage control is background threaded to does not force the skin to wait until its loaded. You are not loosing quality at all if anything you are gaining it compared to a cached version of an icon though Fanart probably doesn't matter

Its all in your mind Tongue
There's none at all. It loads the entire image. The loading is just done in a background thread which is why it seems faster (it's actually generally very slightly slower due to this).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

thanks for the info, I sort of understood how it loaded the image in a seperate thread but that makes it all clearer, for cases where you want animation quality over image loading speed, it works a charm, like I say it should definitly be in the skinning wiki i'd been scratching my head all day before I happened upon this thread.
Done: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Large_Image_Control

thanks jm, I'm sure many others will benefit from that. Is there a large multi image control? or can the large image control take a folder path as its image source at all? I could use some of that background threaded loading on my home pages where I use a ton of multi images.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Large Image Control?0