• 5(current)
Port XBMC for Linux to run on NMT (Networked Media Tank) hardware like Popcorn Hour?
I agree. It just seems a bit unlikely.

Of course I HOPE it's true...

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
kryptonyte Wrote:If this does turn out to be a real working port of XBMC to NMT then more power to him, but for now, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see/hear more details on how this is working. I think it was someone on the NMT forums that suggested this could all be a VNC client to a Windows/Linux/MacOS box running XBMC and commands from the Popcorn Hour remote sent through VNC as recognizable commands.

Look at the first video again, the popcorn is NOT networked by a cable nor a WiFi dongle...
We *could also imagine* that pch motherboard has been replaced by a nano-itx motherboard ! Big Grin
Seriously, unless ejp has a LOT of time to waste and considering the time he already spent for the community, I can't even think it's a hoax but a true cool thing Cool

Nod
Don't get me wrong I truly "Want to Believe", but why the secrecy then? Why not just come out and say how this wizardry works and banish the nay saying? It always puzzles me when people come out with some huge claim and a couple videos. I would much rather take technical details over YouTube any day...

Oh and kudos for the "I Want to Believe" poster, actually just finished watching all 9 seasons in chronological order. All I can say is the mountain is incredibly steep on the other side...

There are a couple extra LEDs on the back of the unit in the first video, not the networking LEDs there are a couple dim ones to the left. Now this may be a stretch, but could it be possible Syabas sent him a dev unit and a SDK to make all the magic happen?
kryptonyte Wrote:There are a couple extra LEDs on the back of the unit in the first video, not the networking LEDs there are a couple dim ones to the left. Now this may be a stretch, but could it be possible Syabas sent him a dev unit and a SDK to make all the magic happen?

Why not ? But don't you think it's simply the optical out ?
akabob Wrote:Why not ? But don't you think it's simply the optical out ?
It looks different, not like the optical out.
No one noticed the brief appearance of a mouse pointer in the last two vids? :p
But would be nice if this turns out to be true, as I have an old A-100 that's been gathering dust for the last year or so. Smile
natethomas Wrote:That doesn't work as well with XBMC. We haven't been officially compiling builds since March, yet somehow (ahem) people have been getting their hands on builds using other methods. Every post about getting a tv-server to work is a post that we are officially not answering, because we said we wouldn't answer anything post those march builds and tv-server addons only came out after the fact.

With any luck, though, it won't be long now.

Thats a downside, but I think what XBMC has done is better then passwording the SVN server and only releasing a new source tarball every 6 months with the release . . .
arco Wrote:No one noticed the brief appearance of a mouse pointer in the last two vids? :p
But would be nice if this turns out to be true, as I have an old A-100 that's been gathering dust for the last year or so. Smile

From the overzealous moderation over at the nmt forum (they have now split ejp's XBMC-NMT thread in two cleaning out all posts that are not cheers and praise) I'm starting to get the impression that Syabas is behind this port.

They probably asked ejp to lead the port officially because of the licensing issues (GPL mixing with proprietary Sigma libraries), so it's not officially from Syabas, but behind the scenes they are probably supporting ejp to make the port possible.

Of course I can't be sure about this, but this is the impression I'm getting.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how well the port turns out to be and what limitations it will have.
ion_man Wrote:I'm starting to get the impression that Syabas is behind this port.

That would explain all the secrecy...
looks cool, hope it is true. Personally I am hoping the boxee box make sit out and xbmc is ported to it...
ion_man Wrote:From the overzealous moderation over at the nmt forum (they have now split ejp's XBMC-NMT thread in two cleaning out all posts that are not cheers and praise) I'm starting to get the impression that Syabas is behind this port.

They probably asked ejp to lead the port officially because of the licensing issues (GPL mixing with proprietary Sigma libraries), so it's not officially from Syabas, but behind the scenes they are probably supporting ejp to make the port possible.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how well the port turns out to be and what limitations it will have.

Yeah good theory, I was wondering why all the secrecy and lack of any technical info.
ion_man Wrote:From the overzealous moderation over at the nmt forum (they have now split ejp's XBMC-NMT thread in two cleaning out all posts that are not cheers and praise) I'm starting to get the impression that Syabas is behind this port.

Even if it's a possibility, it seems weird to me... Then why spending time on a new flash UI (at least for the A/C200) while they could spend their time on the XBMC port which should be much better ? But maybe they does too Smile
akabob Wrote:Even if it's a possibility, it seems weird to me... Then why spending time on a new flash UI (at least for the A/C200) while they could spend their time on the XBMC port which should be much better ? But maybe they does too Smile

The reason for the possible XBMC port by Syabas (& the new Popbox) is probably an attempt to head the Boxee Box off at the pass as it could be significant competition.

The Boxee Box will also run XBMC making it an ideal choice for many. I'd guess Syabas are hoping that if XBMC runs on their Popcornhours they can avoid losing customers to the Boxee Box.
Can't see the point in a Popcorn Hour these days, at least with the C200 latest one. Paid about £300 for it all in and it was basically a load of unfinished not even at beta level software wise. GUI was atrocious, still way underpowered\overpriced.

Sold it for £275 and got myself an Acer Revo 3610 for £180.

Bargain and much much better, different world really.
2 other video availables:
http://passion-xbmc.org/les-news-de-xbmx...pcorn/?all

it seems to run smoother !
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC for Linux to run on NMT (Networked Media Tank) hardware like Popcorn Hour?2