Does the New Gyro Remotes work with XBMC?
Hi Guys,

New to the linux port of XBMC been using it on the XBOX for a long time now. I was thinking about purchase the new Gyro Remote URL below.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3513365/Gy...oduct.html

Would this work with XBMC on Ubuntu 7.10.Big Grin

This would be the icing on the cake if this worked guys!!

Cheers,
Johno
If there is lirc support for it it will probably work.
I have one of these on the way from the US to use with XBMC (£70 on ebay). My research shows that it just acts as a conventional usb mouse so will work with XBMC. The keys act as a keyboard and you can just change your keymap (lirc is not needed). I believe their is a problem with the power button sending a keypress repeatedly but a kernel patch is out there to resolve it.

If you want to see it in action look at the LinuxMCE video which uses a fiire remote which is just a repackaged version of this.

I will let you know how I get on when I get it in the next few days.

Check this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=734353 for a bit more detail.
I'm playing around with Lirc and a RC6 remote and its not working aaaahhhh!!!
This one thing I liked about the gyro remote is that it does not need me to learn lirc. It is very expensive though.
How did go with the gryo remote, is it good news?
Laugh
Still waiting for it. Ordered from the US and the tracking said that it only arrived in the UK today. Hopefully get it before the weekend.

I do not anticipate any great problems but may have to write a custom xmodmap to get all the keys recognised.
I've just order the keyboard and gyro remote. If you need any help working this out maybe we could work together?
I will let you know how I get on. If you ordered yours from the UK you may get it before me.

Good luck
Just received my gyro remote and keyboard today. I have limited time to play with it until the weekend.

The mouse functionality is completely plug and play and was just made for controlling XBMC Big Grin

The keyboard is also plug and play and just works. Big Grin

The keys on the remote will need a bit more work. Confused The number keys are mapped as are the arrow and select key. The play, pause, stop, etc keys do not work straight away in XBMC. Using xev I can see they keys are working I just need to figure out the mapping.

Does anyone know how the vkey keymap thing works in XBMC how do I take the code given by xev and assign that to an action?

I will post my keymap when I figure this out.

So far a big thimbs up for this method of control.
I have a Cyberlink remote control which works in a very similar way - its essentially a wireless keyboard with the equivalent of the play/pause multimedia keys you may find along the top/side of standard desktop keyboards.

I am yet to find a way to get these keys to work in XBMC, but I'm hoping to have another go tonight. Has anyone had success with standard keyboards with multimedia keys?

Thanks,
Tom.
evrouter is a good way of dealing with these type of remotes. It works well with my gyration remote.

http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_evrouter.html
hi guys,

i've got a gyration remote and keyboard and need help setting it up with evrouter is there any good howto on this.

I would just like to have the play stop rewind fast forward working in xbmc

cheers,

Johno Eek
Question 
stuartmarsden Wrote:Does anyone know how the vkey keymap thing works in XBMC how do I take the code given by xev and assign that to an action?

Bump. I'm trying to work out the same problem. My remote almost works with XBMC out of the box, but sends some unrecognised key combinations for things like stop and rewind.

For example, I've been trying to use xmodmap to remap CTRL+b (sent by the remote's "Rewind" key) to the "Left" key on the keyboard (which would be recognised by XBMC). Does anyone know how this can be done?
gilgongo Wrote:Bump. I'm trying to work out the same problem. My remote almost works with XBMC out of the box, but sends some unrecognised key combinations for things like stop and rewind.

For example, I've been trying to use xmodmap to remap CTRL+b (sent by the remote's "Rewind" key) to the "Left" key on the keyboard (which would be recognised by XBMC). Does anyone know how this can be done?

I have been struggling with this also: using xev you can obtain the keysym which is in hex ex. 0xffaf, which in decimal is like 65455. This number lies in the same area as the vkey in Keymap.xml so keysym migt be vkey in hex disguise - however, my attempt at using keysym didnt work Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does the New Gyro Remotes work with XBMC?0