Trouble with projectm?
Am i the only one having trouble with projectm? It months ago when i just extracted the milkdrop .milk files and put them in /xbmc/visualizations/projectM/ . However, now they don't work. It happened a while ago and I didn't really pay much attention to it. Today though I spent a couple hours trying to get it to work. I know there have been changes in the svn for projectM and I'm pretty sure I followed those and i have a build compiled today. I even went to the projectm website and got a brand new set of presets and put them in the same /xbmc/visualizations/projectM/ folder and still nothing. Even when I try to bring up the presets list it tells me there are no presets. Am I doing something wrong? Do the presets now need to be in a different folder? Do they need to be .zip ? Do I now have to have an .xml for projecM in /xbmc/userdata/visualizations/ ? Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Or perhaps someone has some helpful advice to point out what i am doing wrong (I'm sure it is something simple Wink ) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anything show up in the logs? I haven't tried to do anything for visualizations and I see error messages in the logs pertaining to milkdrop. Perhaps the log would give you a hint?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
This is because of a change. Set XBMC_HOME to /xbmc and try again.

Known issue though.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hey tslayer, thanks for the reply. Do you mean set XBMC_HOME to /xbmc in .profile? Or elsewhere? I actually was messing around with .profile yesterday thinking that might have something to do with the issue and was trying something along the lines of "export XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/bin/xbmc" None of it worked, hence the post.

@BLKMGK
there was nothing in the logs that looked promising. I was not aware that actual "milkdrop" worked on linux? Or are you referring to just using the .milk files extracted from milkdrop?
You set XBMC_HOME in .profile if you'd like.

Maybe best to show by example.

I am using /usr/share/xbmc (now default location when make install is invoked).
My .milk files are therefore now located in /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM

Before running XBMC, I do:

export XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc
xbmc

Done Smile

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Great! Got it working. I'm having a party tonight so that is big relief Wink Just so you are aware it works if i manually set it, but if I try to add it to .profile it seems to be ignored. Cheers.
Just create a shell script that does it. Or, just modify the xbmc shell script (the one that invokes xbmc.bin) and add the export in there.

I added it to the xbmc shell script and it all works great now. Thanks again!
thx guys
i couldn't get it to work and I though I am just plain stupid missing somethingNod
Rand Al Thor Wrote:Hey tslayer, thanks for the reply. Do you mean set XBMC_HOME to /xbmc in .profile? Or elsewhere? I actually was messing around with .profile yesterday thinking that might have something to do with the issue and was trying something along the lines of "export XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/bin/xbmc" None of it worked, hence the post.

@BLKMGK
there was nothing in the logs that looked promising. I was not aware that actual "milkdrop" worked on linux? Or are you referring to just using the .milk files extracted from milkdrop?

No, not working to my knowledge but I've seen messages referencing Milkdrop in the logs. I seem to recall that porting Milkdrop is on a list somewhere, Google SOC or something - not sure. Pretty sure it's not been ported yet anyway, I'm sure the XBMC guys would have picked it up if it were available.Nod
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
projectM is essentially Milkdrop in the sense that you can take the presets and use them for projectM. Looks the same to me Smile

tslayer Wrote:projectM is essentially Milkdrop in the sense that you can take the presets and use them for projectM. Looks the same to me Smile

Excellent! Time I figured it out then, blank screen while Shoutcast or MP3 are playing is a little bit boring. Thanks!
tslayer Wrote:You set XBMC_HOME in .profile if you'd like.

Maybe best to show by example.

I am using /usr/share/xbmc (now default location when make install is invoked).
My .milk files are therefore now located in /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM

Before running XBMC, I do:

export XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc
xbmc

Done Smile

Okay, I'm trying to duplicate this. Currently I run the SVN version but also have the packaged version downloaded. Both of the Visualization directories for projectM have the .milk files in them. Where I get confused is the reference to a script. As it stands now my launcher links to a 12meg binary named XboxMediaCenter. Typing xbmc at the commandline does launch XBMC (w/debug info displayed).

Where is the xbmc script stored and which code is it likely to be calling - svn or package? I suspect package except that debug displays which I thought the packaged version wasn't compiled to do. Is there some best practice way I ought to have set this up?:confused2:

Thanks!

P.S. I would love to get the home dir figured out once and for all for both SVN and package so I can get my databases straight:o
try typing export XBMC_HOME=/usr/share/xbmc then launching xbmc all in the commandline.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trouble with projectm?0