Hardware Requirements
Hallo Everybody,

I don't know if this questions already has been asked but here we go...

I want to build my own NAS with FreeNAS and Raid-Z2 (through ZFS) with about 64Gigs of ECC-RAM and 6x 8tb HDDs (and maybe two SSDs for L2ARC, ZIL and SLOG Cache).
But I don't know about the CPU.
I want to storage my ripped Blu Rays (with MakeMKV) in .mkv container and, with the announcement of MakeMKV supporting UHD, also UHDs and stream them to my Nvidia Shield with Kodi.

Now we come to my question :

I always read about 4K Transcoding / and just streaming (or encoding ?) so I'd like to know whether I need the files to be transcoded for the Shield / Kodi or is streaming just fine for this kind of usage ?

Also I'd like to know what kind of CPU I need ?
I thought of buying a Intel Pentium G4560 (2 Core, 3,5 Ghz) which seams pretty nice for that money. But the question is, does It also offers 4K Transcoding (or encoding if I don't need it to be transcoded) ?

Thanks for your time and your help
You are getting Plex mixed up with Kodi and if you read about the problems Plex is causing in the following thread I would NOT use it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...ex_in_the/

Ripping does not require a powerful PC. Regular Blurays are already compressed with H.264, 4K Blurays use HEVC.

Kodi does not use Transcoding. If hardware like the Shield supports 4K HEVC video decoding (which it does) then no transcoding bullshit is needed, you read files straight off the NAS.

Kodi does not support 4K .ISO whole disc rips so yes a program like MakeMKV would be needed.

Your major problem is the Shield cannot auto switch colorspaces between SDR & HDR, needed for 4K UHD. You have to manually fiddle with Android settings all the time when watching mixed SDR / HDR content, and that will be a PITA long term.
The Shield also cannot do 4K HDR > SDR conversion like some other 4K media players can do.

NVIDIA have been dragging the chain fixing these problems considering FW6.x had been out nearly a whole year now.

No use buying PC hardware only to find your media player is not fit to playback SDR and 4K UHD HDR in a convenient easy to use manner.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Requirements1