Can't get it to work at all
apadua Wrote:I'm having a hard time since I haven't been on the MAC scene since System7, Appletalk serial port networks and having to use complicated PPP clients to get my Global Village Modem to dial into the web at 28.800...

Andre

I miss the gold old Global village days... Anyways Yes Deleting ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC is the best way to get a clean install. You could take it a step further and re-download the application but it's usually not necessary.
Before i deleted that directory, i was getting stuck at a black screen with a colored logo on it. Now that I deleted this directory, i restart XBMC and get a white screen and nothing else. That's it.

I haven't re-downloaded 0.4.5, but I have re-opened the .dmg and re-copied the app package. Anyone have the md5 of the 0.4.5 package handy?

Thanks,

Andre
iordonez Wrote:The best way to get a good install on a system is to:

1) Reinstall Mac OS X using format, etc. (this is assuming you are 100% sure you have a working backup.)

2) When prompted to create a user during setup use a name DIFFERENT than the old username.

3) Copy your old user account folder to /Users

4) Create a new user with the same username as your old account, OS X will prompt you that a home folder already exists, do you want to use it (yes)

5) login as your new, original user and all your settings should be intact

6) Re-install any applications the old fashion way.

After you install each program/update check XBMC to see if it crashes. I know it's long but it's the best way to narrow this down :\

That's exactly what I'll do. I'll let you know who it goes when I do it
apadua Wrote:Before i deleted that directory, i was getting stuck at a black screen with a colored logo on it. Now that I deleted this directory, i restart XBMC and get a white screen and nothing else. That's it.

I haven't re-downloaded 0.4.5, but I have re-opened the .dmg and re-copied the app package. Anyone have the md5 of the 0.4.5 package handy?

Thanks,

Andre

Is your computer hooked up to a monitor or a TV? I get the same thing when there is no monitor detected and I'm running ARD to my mac mini. Once I turn the TV on and it detects the TV XBMC will startup fine.
My Mini was connected to a regular TV using the S-Video adapter. The TV was on.

Anyways, I figured out what was going on. Apparently there is a file within the XBMC Package that is called Profiles.xml. It isn't kept in the users/apadua/Library/XBMC/ directory, but rather within the app itself.

Inside that file were the two user profiles i had - the Master User profile and an additional profile Called MediaMini (same name as my mac). Anyways, so I see that file in there and i realise it has been altered. So I edit the file back to normal and delete the XML stanza that created the second user.

All good. Box was up and back to normal. Not that I know how to explain what happened, but at least i got it back working.
Ok So here's the update. I did a fresh install of leopard. Restored my old home folder. Installed OSXBMC and ran all the system updates for osx. Then proceeded to reinstall all my programs and everything. In between everything I fired up OSXBMC to see if it was still working. So here we are, everything is back to the way it was before but this time, OSXBMC is now working. Not sure what the problem was, but of fresh install of osx seemed to fix it. Thanks everyone for their help and input.
awesome, keep track of what you do just in case it happens again later Smile
What I thought was reeeally weird is that files inside the XBMC app package got altered as a result of my configs. I assumed that the APP package would ALWAYS stay the same, and only the files in the users/apadua/Library/XBMC/ direcotry would change. Any chance there is a reference to the wrong file somewhere in the code?

To test this, it's rather simple. Create a new user in XBMC. The user will show up in the "profiles.xml" file in the app package. Is this normal behavior?

Again, sorry for my newbie questions - I just don't know if this is normal or not.
App packages should never be modified (and should be expected to be run as a user that can't modify them). We're still in early stages. I'll bug Elan about moving anything that needs to be changed out later.
This may or may not be a regression. It may or may not be fixed in my local tree given some updates I pulled. Let's get a ticket filed to keep track of it.

Thanks,

-elan
apadua Wrote:Anyways, I figured out what was going on. Apparently there is a file within the XBMC Package that is called Profiles.xml. It isn't kept in the users/apadua/Library/XBMC/ directory, but rather within the app itself.

Inside that file were the two user profiles i had - the Master User profile and an additional profile Called MediaMini (same name as my mac). Anyways, so I see that file in there and i realise it has been altered. So I edit the file back to normal and delete the XML stanza that created the second user.

Sounds like this could two more files that need to be moved out of the application package and to the Application data. What do you programming gods think?
jeremymc7 Wrote:Sounds like this could two more files that need to be moved out of the application package and to the Application data. What do you programming gods think?

Yes. This used to be the case and someone (who will go unmentioned here) broke it. I'll look at re-fixing it for the next beta.

-elan
I logged into a test account and it still crashed, but on a whim, I downloaded the app bundle again. The new bundle worked. I downloaded the first bundle via bit torrent. The new one via http. I also did some diff's. Before I ran the new bundle, I made a backup copy of it. There is no difference between the backup and the original after running the original. There is a difference between the torrent version and the http version. Also, once I logged back in as my normal user the HTTP version worked there, too.

Note: I can provide any file you like.

The XBMC in the Downloads directory is the HTTP (working) version.

bash-3.2# diff -rq XBMC.app Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/
Files XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC and Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC differ
Files XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/UserData/Keymap.xml and Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/UserData/Keymap.xml differ
Files XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper and Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/XBMCHelper differ
Files XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/skin/Project Mayhem III/media/Textures.xpr and Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/skin/Project Mayhem III/media/Textures.xpr differ
Files XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/scrapers/video/imdb.xml and Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/scrapers/video/imdb.xml differ
bash-3.2# ls -l XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
-rwxr-xr-x 1 testadmin staff 14613932 May 13 14:25 XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
bash-3.2# ls -l Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
-rwxr-xr-x 1 testadmin staff 14614024 May 12 23:26 Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
bash-3.2# md5 Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
MD5 (Downloads/XBMC/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC) = fc2b33c2d838c4a2ebc8345fbdb90caa
bash-3.2# md5 XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC
MD5 (XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC) = f940f3cb8ca29c97eac59be306362ea6

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get it to work at all0