Bird Scene
No No, I wondered if a standalone HD-DVd player, like say an XBOX 360, might have issues - it's a pretty nasty scene! Shocked

In any case, 3Ghz C2D will play anything I think. I also think it's a little bit overkill withthe improvements the developers have made in decoding but in general I like overkillLaugh If it would be helpful to someone shopping for a CPU I could try clocking mine down and testing to see where I begin to drop frames again. However as easily as C2D overclock 3Ghz doesn't seem too hard to achieve. If I were doing it again I'd want an E8400, for lower power consumption and less heat for sure - plus it clocks to the moon. There may be slower 45nm CPUs too that would be suitable but unless they were significantly cheaper I know the E8400 is a winner. What's REALLY needed is someone who can play this clip with an AMD to tell us what's required!

Note that supposedly my 8K series vid card is helping the decoding, having not tried any others I cannot say for sure. Someone else with a similar setup but different video card wasn't seeing the same results I am <shrug> As video cards go this one wasn't super expensive and fit in a low profile case once the bracket was removed.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I drop some frames (~200) on that clip with an E6850 stock @ 3Ghz. Using on board video (7150).
Both cores were about 75%
Everything else I have seems to play fine.
This was played over smb.
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Sony KDL52X3100. Integra DTR10.5.
If the cores didn't max I wonder if you were I/O bound somehow.Huh Have you tried bumping the clock up to see if you drop fewer frames? Making me start to wonder what it is about mine that allows this. I do not think I'm above 3Ghz Sad I guess it must be the video card? I may test more tomorrow if the G-kids do not take over the TV Tongue
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yeah, it must be something with IGP or nVidia's chipset. IGP because it's second person which uses 7150 and got dropped frames even with 3GHz.
Chipset because it performs worse than Intel's chipsets (especially with mems intensive tasks)
Regards,
Embrion
My System:
ASUS M2NPV-VM
AMD 4800+ (running at stock speed)
2GB RAM
TVout via onboard 6150 @1920x1080
XBMC build 12747

The clip runs between 9-12 fps and it drops around 510 frames for the whole clip. Both cores at 100%
Running with High Quality Pixel shader V2 seems to improve it by about 1 fps

What is everyone else using for Render Method, High Quality Software Upscaling and Vertical Blank Sync?
Its weird. I copied to the local HDD and I played it a few times. It will drop a few frames at the start and most of the time it will not drop any more. On a couple of occasions it dropped frames all the way through.
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Nothing weird. Some scenes are more demanding with higher bitrate demand and some are less with lower bitrate
Regards,
Embrion
Its the same scene played a number of times. Sometimes it will drop frames, sometimes it wont.
you are running a complete operating system. whatever is happening in the background will certainly have everything to say when you are pushing it. cache thrashing, io, anything that eats cpu will influence your results.
That was what im trying to ask in my thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32744
If alot of stuff is running in the backround, wouldnt the performance of xbmc get worse? So what do i exactly need to run xbmc? The minimum software requirements so to speak. Cause with a full ubuntu system running it looks like i lack power to run x264/720p flawless.
i just replied to your post
spiff Wrote:you are running a complete operating system. whatever is happening in the background will certainly have everything to say when you are pushing it. cache thrashing, io, anything that eats cpu will influence your results.

Understood. My CPUs show about 75%-85% whether it drops frames or not. If it drops continuous frames I simply stop and restart from the beginning and it wont drop any.

As it is the only clip I really have any issues with its not a concern, just found it unusual.

Thanks
Here are my results of the Killa Sample-

E6300 1.86Ghz ~500 frames dropped.

E8400 clocked at 2.6Ghz ~200 frames dropped

E8400 3.0Ghz No Frames dropped.
nice.. ordered my config last week.. only Antec Fusion is not on stock so waiting on that one..

Ordered a E8400 too with Scythe ninja mini for cooling..

so think it will run everything i'll trow at it if the KillaSample doesnt drop frames..

and the 2,6ghz is just downclocked to get lower temps and power?
The down clocking was accidental - when i first installed the chip the mobo thought it should run at the wrong clock speeds.

I am using the default cooling system in my Shuttle XPC, this chip rocks- runs on low power and not very warm, I watched an entire 1080p bluray rip last night full of action scenes (bourne supremacy) with not a single dropped frame. Good stuff! Wink
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bird Scene0