Volume Output Level Too Low -New Ticket
I've got issues with the volume output of OSXBMC being too low. This is mostly with the digital output, though the analog is low as well. The level doesn't seem anywhere in line with other application.

Please review the attached ticket and see if you agree.

http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/search?q=volume
I have much the same problem, but with my laptop. At full volume it simply isn't loud enough. The Volume controls in XBMC seem to only allow negative DB levels. I was planning to look around the controls to see if I could find a way to go into the positive.
bmfrosty Wrote:I have much the same problem, but with my laptop. At full volume it simply isn't loud enough. The Volume controls in XBMC seem to only allow negative DB levels. I was planning to look around the controls to see if I could find a way to go into the positive.

Feel free to respond to my ticket then so we can get it bumped. I don't like running the amp at 100% just to get a decent volume less. SOO MUCH DISTORTION that way. Yuk!
This should not be normal behavior... On my laptop I can make the output volume rather loud (playing a M4a file right now). At home my playing a movie to my amp at -15db my wife keeps asking me to turn it down. Lord knows
Ah,

I'm using this as a media player in a mobile environment. No AMP involved, just the internal speakers.
bmfrosty Wrote:Ah,

I'm using this as a media player in a mobile environment. No AMP involved, just the internal speakers.

Check your source file, make sure it's not just super quite. Playing the same music file in iTunes as XBMC on my Macbook Pro using internal speakers yields the same volume output.
iordonez Wrote:This should not be normal behavior... On my laptop I can make the output volume rather loud (playing a M4a file right now). At home my playing a movie to my amp at -15db my wife keeps asking me to turn it down. Lord knows

Well that could have something to do with the fact that the laptop amp is internal to the mac. IE designed to work a certain way.

Specifically we all are using computers, cables, amplifers, and speakers. They all are going to have their own quality differences (IE didn't performance even with the same type of equipment). Not to mention the voltage and impediance is going to vary with each component in each envierment. Given such some of us may potentional have they issues.

A perfect example is my second Mini hooked up to my TV via analog needs to be at 23 to match the same level as the DVD player or DirecTV box which are are 17. All analog. And yes, this is with the OSX volume and program volume at 100%.
iordonez Wrote:Check your source file, make sure it's not just super quite. Playing the same music file in iTunes as XBMC on my Macbook Pro using internal speakers yields the same volume output.

I have the opposite issue. The sale files are LOWER is OSXBMC then in all other programs.

Likewise in my previous message. The output levels of my two minis are lower then any of my other components.
jeremymc7 Wrote:All analog.

Let's distinguish here between digital mode and analog mode. In digital mode I refuse (for the moment!) to believe there's any difference, as we're just passing through encoded bitstreams to the receiver.

In analog mode, it's possible that there are volume differences (and bits to tweak on the downmixing), but your ticket talks about digital mode.

-elan
One thing I've noticed is that VLC allows volume to be boosted up to 400% of normal. I'd love to see that same functionality in XBMC, even if it has to be enabled in settings before it can be used.
elan Wrote:Let's distinguish here between digital mode and analog mode. In digital mode I refuse (for the moment!) to believe there's any difference, as we're just passing through encoded bitstreams to the receiver.

In analog mode, it's possible that there are volume differences (and bits to tweak on the downmixing), but your ticket talks about digital mode.

-elan

I swore the ticket talks about both. But leaning towards digital. How about if we break it up. Bug fix analog to bring up the volume level. And feature request an adjustable (boostedHuh) output. Is that workable. If so let me know what you need in terms of tickets and I'll make sure to get it done.

You know I apprishiate EVERYTHING you and the others are doing here Elan. With you I'd still be using crap other programs trying to get ANYWHERE near where we are now with OSXBMC.

=)
In analog mode we can talk about all sorts of boosting, and the code actually has a PCM amp in there, so that shouldn't be that hard.

In digital mode I still refuse to believe there's anything we can do until proven otherwise Smile That is, after all, why it's called passthrough.

-elan
elan Wrote:In analog mode we can talk about all sorts of boosting, and the code actually has a PCM amp in there, so that shouldn't be that hard.

In digital mode I still refuse to believe there's anything we can do until proven otherwise Smile That is, after all, why it's called passthrough.

-elan

Agreed and understood. I don't know if the user can modify their ticket but I added a new comment to replace the current title and my first/initial comment. Please modify/change as necessary to support revised direction.

Thanks again !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume Output Level Too Low -New Ticket0