Logitech Remote weird behaviour
Hi all,

I've got an unusual problem I'm struggling to pinpoint. The issue is specifically to do with a Logitech Harmony remote and not Kodi.

I'm not sure when exactly it started, or what I've done to change its behaviour, but it seems now that whenever I press my back button, it'll work once and that's it - UNTIL....I navigate around....up, down, left, right, whatever - as soon as I navigate to another option, and then try and press the back button again - it'll work again, but only once until I issue another command. It's very odd.

I know it's not an issue with Kodi, as while I'm unable to navigate back with the remote, if I press back on the keyboard, or use another actual MS remote - it works fine. There is also 0 being written to the kodi log to indicate it's even receiving the command (even with full debugging on), and yet the wifi icon on the remote lights up to indicate it's sending the signal, and the receiver's red light flashes indicating it's receiving a signal and yet - kodi does nothing, UNTIL...I press up, down, left, right etc.

It's almost like it's getting "stuck" after pressing it once, and won't clear the command until a different one is pressed.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever come across such behaviour before, as I'm struggling to even know where to look to resolve this one.

I'm using a custom keyboard.xml file, which hasn't changed at all throughout the years I've been using it.

Any insight or out-of-the-box idea's would be appreciated Big Grin

Cheers,

Mungo
Sounds like a debounce issue. Bounce is when you press a key once but the mechanics generate one or more 'ghost' presses. Some remote/receiver combinations eliminate the problem by generating alternate key codes for each key. If the receiver gets two identical codes it ignores the second one because it must have been generated by a key bounce.

When you have a remote that doesn't implement debounce and the receiver does, you get the symptoms you describe. Given the MCE remote works and it implements debounce, it looks like you need to find a way to get the Harmony remote to implement debounce too. Can't help you with how, though. I don't have one.

Andy
Thanks man, I'll look into that. Although you'd assume if it were doing that, it'd be doing it for all buttons/commands and I'd be all over the shop trying to navigate lol. I'll look into it though, as there's config to control multi-presses and that type of behaviour that may have been changed since last I updated it.

Cheers,

Mungo
Well, after doing some digging on this whole debounce phenomenon - I turned off the Windows debounce setting in the registry (below), rebooted and....problem gone. Very strange though considering I still don't know what caused this to all of a sudden be an issue.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
EnableDebounce = 0

Edit: Well, after doing that, it appears I lost the ability to bring up the context menu, so I reverted...and now the original issue is back, and I'm still unable to bring up the context menu LOL. I'm starting to think it's about time for a new remote. 1st one died due to the physical keys starting to go, so I poached my parents one I bought them years ago and they didn't use much and now that's starting to go. Oh well Sad

Edit 2: Well, it doesn't appear the MS remote is working either for context menu's. I just love when stuff stops working for absolutely no apparent reason.

Final Edit: Re-installed all my remote software - that fixed the context menu stuffs, and then disabled the debounce again as above, and we're back in business.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Logitech Remote weird behaviour0