Android New Tv box U9-H with latest Kodi 17.6 problem
Hello, 
I am new to the TV box world. Yesterday I purchased Minix u9-H in order to watch 4k movies. However, Minix recognized the screen as 4k but Kodi only shows 1980x1080 60p. 

There are no options to choose 4k resolution. Tried going to expert mode and that did not add this capability.
Also I am having problems with the sound. I want to put in field Audio Output Device - HDMI or something like that but it is gray for me. The thing that I can do is enable passthrough.

I am using Receiver Sony STR DN 1070 which is both 4k and HDR capable.

I am sorry if these questions are stupid. Also I was interested is there an HDR option in Kodi that I can enable?

Thanks in advance
Thread moved to Android
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I purchased same media player and not used Android.

There is a LibreElec community build (Kodi on Linux) that supports 4K and HDR (and HDR to SDR conversion). Take a look on the LibreElec forum for Amlogic S912 build. You'll need an SD card for LibreElec. The 9H will boot to SD card straight to Kodi. You can select Android and reboot to Android for Android apps if you want - or remove SD Card. (I am planning to use LibreElec/Kodi only)

It looks like the S912 support was recently added to Kodi 18 builds (based on changelog) so probably available in official Kodi version in future.
(2018-01-24, 21:46)HomerJau Wrote: I purchased same media player and not used Android.

There is a LibreElec community build (Kodi on Linux) that supports 4K and HDR (and HDR to SDR conversion). Take a look on the LibreElec forum for Amlogic S912 build. You'll need an SD card for LibreElec. The 9H will boot to SD card straight to Kodi. You can select Android and reboot to Android for Android apps if you want - or remove SD Card. (I am planning to use LibreElec/Kodi only)

It looks like the S912 support was recently added to Kodi 18 builds (based on changelog) so probably available in official Kodi version in future.
Thank you for your fast reply. This seems too hard for me Smile i watched videos that show people are able to choose the resolution from the menu but for me only 1080p is available. I waas wondering if the problem is with me.(probably is) because I bought the box for 4k playback
There is no auto resolution switching between 1080p and 4K when running the Android OS.
You have to manually go into Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution and select 4K manually BEFORE starting Android Kodi.

There IS auto resolution switching when running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the U9. LibreELEC Kodi is preferred if you want to view mixed 1080p and 4K content. You leave it at a 1080p system resolution and it will auto switch to 4K when viewing 4K content.

The benefit of this is your 4K TV with its likely superior 1080p > 4K upscaling hardware does all the picture upscaling of 1080p content.

BTW: the SD card running LibreELEC does not even need to be removed to Dual Boot into internal Android, you simply select "Reboot from Internal" in LibreELEC Kodi's power menu to reboot into Android.
Reboot Android with SD card still in, you end up back in LibreELEC.

(2018-01-25, 03:06)wrxtasy Wrote: There is no auto resolution switching between 1080p and 4K when running the Android OS.
You have to manually go into Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution and select 4K manually BEFORE starting Android Kodi.

There IS auto resolution switching when running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the U9. LibreELEC Kodi is preferred if you want to view mixed 1080p and 4K content. You leave it at a 1080p system resolution and it will auto switch to 4K when viewing 4K content.

The benefit of this is your 4K TV with its likely superior 1080p > 4K upscaling hardware does all the picture upscaling of 1080p content.

BTW: the SD card running LibreELEC does not even need to be removed to Dual Boot into internal Android, you simply select "Reboot from Internal" in LibreELEC Kodi's power menu to reboot into Android.
Reboot Android with SD card still in, you end up back in LibreELEC.
Thank you for the explanation. So I have already set the android display settings to be 4k. This means that Kodi will automatically display 4k even if in Kodi setup display is 1080p? If this is the case then I guess I do not have problem.

I was bugged because I saw some videos and pictures that clearly show that you can choose 4k resolution in Kodi as well. I really want to use only Android and no Linux and so on. Is it not possible the box to play 4k? Why youtube recommends it then? This is strange to me
Is it really the only way for 4k playback on android tv box to flash the OS to Linux. If this is the case Kodi has major problems

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Tv box U9-H with latest Kodi 17.6 problem0