1080p and 1.8ghz...
Question 
Is anyone having success playing 1080p files with a 1.8ghz C2D mini? Or is that just too much to ask of that processor?

Eq
Not having much any luck with my 2.0Ghz C2D with h264 1080p sources, so I don't fancy your chances with the 1.8.

Most sources are just about watchable but drop frames all over the place, especially in areas with a lot of action or detail.

Some 1080p sources will lock up completely if the bit rate peaks too high.

I have mainly been watching 720p sources but still get dropped frames every now and then.

Not sure if this is something that can be changed with osxbmc (better dual core support?) or if I just need new hardware.
Keep in mind we're still in beta and there's quite a bit more to go before we get to a full 1.0 release.

There is lots of room for improvement in the code and port of the latest code we're not quite yet using.

If I recall correctly most (if not all) of the decoding is code with the CPU and not offloaded to the GPU. The faster CPU, more cores, and more ram you have the better things will run. People running Mac Pro's are getting some great results even with the current beta status.
I have hope for the XBMC team, as a buddy of mine with XP installed on his C2D mini plays 1080p x264 MKV's using only 50% CPU. Played with Media Player Classic and the Core h264 decoder.
It depends on the bit rate and software..

Under XP, my 1.8Ghz macmini can play all 1080p media I have thrown at it. The biggest file I have tried is 13Gb (1hr 30min), so they have fairly high bit rates.

Under OSX, the number of fully working files drops, but it's still pretty high.
I am playing 1080p fine with my mini. I just finished watching a high bitrate version of American Gangster!! very good flick!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p and 1.8ghz...0