Acer laptop - surely this should be capable?
Hi all,

My home XBMC system is flawless.....Big Grin

Trying to get my neighbour setup on his laptop with XBMC and wanted to run this scenario by you. Using SVN30363 with Transparency! skin (latest SVN)

Acer laptop is an Aspire 7740-5388 with these basic specs:

Intel i3-330M 3GB DDR3 SDRAM
320 GB HDD
1600 x 900, Intel 128 MB,
Gigabit Ethernet, Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Problem is that about every 4-8 minutes there is brief video slow-downs but audio stays perfect then the video speeds up to faster than normal and will catch up. This typically lasts about 2-4 seconds. I've tried running on laptop display only at 1280x720 or 1600x900 screen rez. Also tried externally to his 55" LCD running either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 rez. Makes no difference. Tried disabling antivirus software but still no fix. Tried with different MKV movies running either locally or over the wireless network...same issues. DXVA option isn't available to be checked. I've got all the power settings tuned to maximum performance.

Now after reading up on Acer, they seem to be one of the reigning kings of bloatware so I'm beginning to suspect that may be the issue. If I look at the performance monitor while playing a movie the CPU rarely goes over 50% so I really think the hardware is capable of doing what we want.

Thoughts and/or suggestions before I convince him to let me completely uninstall everything with the name ACER in the add/remove program area? Laugh
Maybe play with his power settings? Change it performance mode. Also you wont get DXVA with XBMC currently because he has an intel GPU.
Main - Intel E6750 C2D (2.66ghz)/Geforce 240
Bedroom - Intel E3300 C2D (2.5ghz)/Geforce 210
Guest Bedroom - Acer Revo 1600/ION LE
Test Desktop - Intel Q9300 C2Q (2.5ghz)/Geforce 9600 GSO
SlaveUnit Wrote:Maybe play with his power settings? Change it performance mode. Also you wont get DXVA with XBMC currently because he has an intel GPU.

Yup, as mentioned: "I've got all the power settings tuned to maximum performance." Wink

Thanks!
I think we've fixed it. Had to move his external drive off the wireless network and plug straight into the laptop and also had to revert back to the last stable release, 9.11.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer laptop - surely this should be capable?0