How to get XBMC library functions to read covers?
Question 
I currently have this file structure for videos:

>Movies
>Enchanted.2007.etc
folder.jpg
>Fight.Club.1999.etc
folder.jpg

>TVSeries
>Heroes (2006)
folder.jpg
>Season 1
folder.jpg
>Season 2
folder.jpg

And for music:
All music tagged correctly and read in to library, but not showing embedded covers?

Videos
The only correct covers that show up automatically when a scan is done is the tvshow-covers for the series, the seasons ignore folder.jpg, and movies seems to ignore folder.jpg as well. Any hints? (Please note that scrapers work just fine, I just want my own cover art)

Using latest OSXBMC.
Ehm, sorry, I realised this is the wrong place, just transfer it to wherever it belongs. Thanks.
A couple of things you can try:

1. Go into your movies via fileview - the thumbs should display just fine (assuming you have "fetch remote thumbs" enabled, which it is by default).

2. Check your music database (userdata/database/mymusic7.db) in something like sqlitespy and check what it has listed in the "thumb" column of the songsview. If the thumb table doesn't contain anything, then please supply a couple of files so that we can reproduce.

3. Check you are running latest and greatest version. The log will tell you.

4. Season thumbs I believe are: <root_of_tv_show>/Season*.jpg

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

1. My movies show the covers fetched through scrapers, even in filemode.

2. It got data. So the information is stored i guess, but not showing, next step?

3. Yep

4. Tried both Season 1.jpg and Season1.jpg, and clearing the library, the scraped cover still remains.
For videos, have you gone through this thoroughly?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails
especially the caching part.

If season thumbs can be assigned via filenames it probably needs documenting,
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
showfolder/seasonxx.tbn
1. How about if you Movie Info -> Get Thumb - does the local thumb show? What if you try browsing to it? If not, it's a permissions problem. If so, kill ALL your thumbnails (in userdata/thumbnails) and browse via file view - the thumbs should show up just fine.

2. That isn't any use to me. Please be clear: Is there information in the thumbs column of the songview in the db or not?

3. Please be specific on the exact version (Date) as stated in the log.

4. See spiff's reply about the correct naming for seasons.

1. No, it does not show up. If i Browse for it I can select it however.

2. Sorry, the >thumb table< does contain info.
2 /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/XBMC/UserData/Thumbnails/Music/2/2cdd7f31.tbn

strThumb in the table songview however says NONE.

3. Which log? My Version.plist says 0.4.5, which is the latest osxbmc
Compiled April 6 2008 according to system information

4. Okay, tried this, still getting the scraped season posters.
Structure:
Heroes/
folder.jpg
season2.tbn
Heroes/Season 2/

I've tried resolving this by re-installing, without success.
Argh - you are running the OSX version. That is the key piece of information and I overlooked it in your first post - it may simply be something to do with the port not functioning as it should be.

Moving so those guys can offer suggestions. Please post in there in the future.

I did some testing on this this morning, I deleted my databases and thumbnails folder and re-added one source, setting its scraper to imdb.

The tree looks like this...

Moviename1
Moviename1/moviename1.mp4
Moviename1/folder.jpg
Moviename2
Moviename2/moviename2.mp4
Moviename2/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1
BoxSetName1/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename3
BoxSetName1/Moviename3/moviename3.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename3/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename4
BoxSetName1/Moviename4/moviename4.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename4/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename5
BoxSetName1/Moviename5/moviename5.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename5/folder.jpg
etc.

In file mode, if you browse around, the thumbnails get picked up correctly. Hitting 'I' or selecting "Movie Information" from the context menu will look up the movie and give back the correct info also picking up the folder.jpg as the thumbnail. If you do a "Refresh" it will look up imdb leaving the folder.jpg as the active thumb, if you do a "Get Thumb" the folder.jpg can be found as "Current Thumb"

If you switch to library mode now, every movie you have looked up will be there but without any thumbnail. Hitting "I" will give you the movie info and change the thumbnail to the remote imdb one. When you switch back to the movie list it now has a thumbnail but its the remote one, going back into "Movie Information" again and selecting "Get Thumb" will now not show the folder.jpg.

Switching back to file view now will still show the folder.jpg thumb. if you select "Movie Information" it will change the thumb and when you come back out it will change there too.

I deleted the databases and thumbnails again, re-added the source again and this time while in file mode I picked "Scan for new content". It goes through, finds all the movies and gives them all remote thumbs, it ignores the folder.jpg. Again if you are in "Movie Information" and select "Get Thumb" it gives you a list of all found thumbs, folder.jpg is not in there.

Ok now I deleted the databases and thumbnails again, re-added the source again and this time while in file mode I looked up one movie so it would let me into library mode. I switched to library mode and selected "Update Library" from the context menu, again it goes through, finds all the movies and gives them all remote thumbs, it ignores the folder.jpg. Again if you are in "Movie Information" and select "Get Thumb" it gives you a list of all found thumbs, folder.jpg is not in there.

I then repeated all these tests on the xbox (Tech build 20 April) and it does exactly the same so you might want to move this back to the general support area, it's not osx specific.

Another oddity I found while doing this is that if you tick the "Enable MoviePosterDB" option in the scraper setting it actually returns less thumbnails. Body of Evidence (1993) does not return a poster at all, it does when MoviePosterDB is disabled! (don't ask why I have a duffer of a movie like Body of Evidence in my collection! Blush )
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
ChoccyHobNob Wrote:Another oddity I found while doing this is that if you tick the "Enable MoviePosterDB" option in the scraper setting it actually returns less thumbnails. Body of Evidence (1993) does not return a poster at all, it does when MoviePosterDB is disabled! (don't ask why I have a duffer of a movie like Body of Evidence in my collection! Blush )

Getting the same problem with Planet Terror. With MoviePosterDB disabled, I get a crappy, whitespaced image, but if I enable it I get nothing at all. Most annoying of all, however, is that there's a really good thumb on imdb.com which doesn't get picked up regardless of options. Instead I get the DVD cover with a lot of whitespace around it, which looks absolutely horrible.
spiff Wrote:showfolder/seasonxx.tbn
Sorry to go off topic here, but looking at the docs can it be that:
Thumbs for stacked movies should use the name of the first file:
moviename-CD1.tbn
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails#E...humbnails:

But nfo's for stacked movies should use the name of the stack?:
moviename.tbn
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Import_-_Exp...n_XML_file
both will work for both of them
So, any solutions out there? Calling other (OSX)XBMC users, do you have working tv season-covers and/or movie covers?
yes tv/season covers work fine for me, the movie ones too. But then I just let the scrapers do their thing and only change the covers for my dvd rips manually, I don't rely on folder.jpg or moviename.tbn or anything like that. I have another share just for covers and i manually add from that.

One thing I'd like is to be able to define a thumb:// location that xbmc would auto search for moviename.* and include any it finds in the thumb selection, maybe put the source in advancedsettings.xml
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get XBMC library functions to read covers?0