How to get XBMC library functions to read covers?
Well, I meant the folder.jpg/moviename.tbn-solution. Selecting works for me as well, I'd just like a solution that works if I movie stuff to other drives, reinstall, etc.
ChoccyHobNob Wrote:I did some testing on this this morning, I deleted my databases and thumbnails folder and re-added one source, setting its scraper to imdb.

The tree looks like this...

Moviename1
Moviename1/moviename1.mp4
Moviename1/folder.jpg
Moviename2
Moviename2/moviename2.mp4
Moviename2/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1
BoxSetName1/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename3
BoxSetName1/Moviename3/moviename3.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename3/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename4
BoxSetName1/Moviename4/moviename4.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename4/folder.jpg
BoxSetName1/Moviename5
BoxSetName1/Moviename5/moviename5.mp4
BoxSetName1/Moviename5/folder.jpg
etc.

In file mode, if you browse around, the thumbnails get picked up correctly. Hitting 'I' or selecting "Movie Information" from the context menu will look up the movie and give back the correct info also picking up the folder.jpg as the thumbnail. If you do a "Refresh" it will look up imdb leaving the folder.jpg as the active thumb, if you do a "Get Thumb" the folder.jpg can be found as "Current Thumb"

If you switch to library mode now, every movie you have looked up will be there but without any thumbnail. Hitting "I" will give you the movie info and change the thumbnail to the remote imdb one. When you switch back to the movie list it now has a thumbnail but its the remote one, going back into "Movie Information" again and selecting "Get Thumb" will now not show the folder.jpg.

Switching back to file view now will still show the folder.jpg thumb. if you select "Movie Information" it will change the thumb and when you come back out it will change there too.

I deleted the databases and thumbnails again, re-added the source again and this time while in file mode I picked "Scan for new content". It goes through, finds all the movies and gives them all remote thumbs, it ignores the folder.jpg. Again if you are in "Movie Information" and select "Get Thumb" it gives you a list of all found thumbs, folder.jpg is not in there.

Ok now I deleted the databases and thumbnails again, re-added the source again and this time while in file mode I looked up one movie so it would let me into library mode. I switched to library mode and selected "Update Library" from the context menu, again it goes through, finds all the movies and gives them all remote thumbs, it ignores the folder.jpg. Again if you are in "Movie Information" and select "Get Thumb" it gives you a list of all found thumbs, folder.jpg is not in there.

I then repeated all these tests on the xbox (Tech build 20 April) and it does exactly the same so you might want to move this back to the general support area, it's not osx specific.

Another oddity I found while doing this is that if you tick the "Enable MoviePosterDB" option in the scraper setting it actually returns less thumbnails. Body of Evidence (1993) does not return a poster at all, it does when MoviePosterDB is disabled! (don't ask why I have a duffer of a movie like Body of Evidence in my collection! Blush )

Sorry to be quoting myself but why hasn't this thread moved to the general forum yet? It happens on the XBOX version too so it's not OS X specific...
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
Unsurprisingly, if you also navigate inside the folder during filemode, the file doesn't have a thumb.

Solution: Don't use folder.jpg - use filename.tbn.

Library mode only knows about movie files. It doesn't know or care whether the file is in a folder that happens to contain a folder.jpg as that is for the folder, not the file(s).

I'm not really sure if there should be a solution to this or not - the movie after all is a file, so should follow the rules for thumbs for files. It shouldn't inherit the folder's thumb, as the folder may be a generic container (genres for instance). There may be a case for inheriting the folder's thumb during a full scan if you enable "Use foldername for movies", but that's the only case I can think of where it'd be valid. It would be a simple check I suspect in the videoinfoscraper to allow this to occur.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Okey jmarshall, did a rescan of my movies, and checked use folder names.

Had this test movie:
Movies/Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV/Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV.mkv
Movies/Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV/Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV.tbn
Movies/Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV/folder.jpg

It didn't grab folder.jpg or Fantastic.Four.Rise.of.the.Silver.Surfer.2007.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-hV.tbn, instead I once again got the scraped one. :/
"use folder names" has nothing to do with thumbs
It tells the scraper to use the foldername to determine what movie it is.
see:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=How_To_use_S...ng_Scraper

Scraped thumbs probably take precedence over user submitted ones... but a dev will probably be better equipped to answer that. (If so I will update the docs).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
My response was to ChoccyHobNob primarily.

Volante: Your problem I suspect is specific to OSX, as it does it for music as well, which works perfectly on all other platforms.

Unless you can produce the same error on the xbox, or on win32 I'm afraid I can't help you.

As sho points out, and I indicated in my previous post, "Use Folder Names" doesn't currently effect thumbs at all. My post indicated that this may in the future have some bearing on things (allowing inheritance of folder thumb if it exists).

Cheers,
Jonathan

@jmarshall that sounds like a good solution, its currently a bit inconsistent being able to hit play on the folder to play the movie, hitting 'I' on the folder displays the movie info (and folder.jpg thumb) for the movie, but scraping the folder doesn't pick the thumb up. Even if it doesn't use the folder.jpg on a scrape but includes it in the available thumbs when you select "Get Thumbs" would be ok.
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
truth with a modification.

IF use folder names is active, the thumb will be assigned to the folder AND the movie, if not it will only be assigned the movie
"Scraped thumbs probably take precedence over user submitted ones... but a dev will probably be better equipped to answer that. (If so I will update the docs)."

If so, that is only partial true, because of the tv series folder.jpg showing up over the scraped ones... Very inconsistent....
I'm the idiot that actually reads the README, FAQ's, and Online Manual. I have also been using XBMC since XBOX 1.0 with my own soldered on TSOP and relay switch for dual boot... WHY DON'T MY COVERS SHOW?

I have XBMC on 3 Apple TVs and the same problem on every one.

I have, Wanted.mkv and Wanted.tbn and Wanted.jpg and Default.jpg and Folder.jpg and Folder.tbn and Default.tbn within the same directory called Movies/Wanted.

NOT A F**K'n 1 WORKS!!!Angry

But, if I scan using IMDB it will load one of their images just fine.

Problem? I DON'T WANT TO SCAN and as always FIX, every movie I own. I just want it to work as it is suppose to and has always worked in the past.

Using ATVFiles previously I already have MovieTitle.avi and MovieTitle.jpg, by rights I should just have to batch rename the .jpg to .tbn and be done.

ANYONE, know what's going on... and please if it doesn't work, just say so.
I added this to my advancedsettings.xml

<dvdthumbs>
<add>default.jpg|cover.jpg</add>
</dvdthumbs>

and now folder.jpg will show, "f"older.jpg, NO CAP F.

Why? Who knows, the script says nothing about folder.jpg.

What I need to know is XBMCs' handling of filename. can I put...

<dvdthumbs>
<add>$filename.jpg</add>
</dvdthumbs>

Does anyone know?
MovieTitle.tbn will work just fine at the file level. I suspect your problem is you want it to show in Files mode at the folder level. If so, folder.jpg will work there. I don't think the case will matter, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I have a folder,

Appaloosa

Inside that folder I have...

Appaloosa.tbn
Appaloosa.avi
Appaloosa.jpg
folder.jpg

While in "Videos" with "View: List" using the PM3 HD Skin I select Appaloosa on the Left and on the Right shows the poster "folder.jpg". When I click it and enter the Appaloosa folder I'm still in "View: List" mode so I should see the filename "Appaloosa.avi" on the Left and the "Appaloosa.tbn" poster on the Right... It DOES NOT WORK!!!

Instead I see the filename "Appaloosa.avi" on the Left and the HD Camera "Default" on the right.

Even if I change to "View: Thumbnail" or "View: Wide Icons" it still DOES NOT WORK!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get XBMC library functions to read covers?0