Does Kodi transcode the movies?
That would eliminate the option of having 2160p on my TVs. I want the system to output 2160p for 4K movies on the TVs and output 1080p for 4K movies on the projector (obviously not at the same time).  I am tinkering with setting the screen resolution directly using something such as:

xbmc.executebuiltin("Notification($INFO[System.ScreenResolution],0192001080060.00000pstd)")

I don't think this works but would like something similar that does work.
Sorry, copied the wrong line from my script.  It should be:

xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc":"2.0", "method":"Settings.SetSettingValue", "params":{"setting":""videoscreen.screenmode","value":0192001080060.00000pstd}, "id":1}') 

Still, I don't think this works.
ah i see

i dont have any solutions for your setup, i dont use windows and i use 1 device per display, i also dont see anything in the json rpc that changes the screen resolution - https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13

perhaps something windows specific that you can set up to run from a global hot key
Maybe create a second profile for the projector?

scott s.
(2023-05-17, 21:54)MediaPlayerFan Wrote: My projector max resolution is 1080p.  My TVs and everything else in the video chain (server, switcher, receiver, splitter, etc) supports 4K HDR.  I would like the option of transcoding 4K HDR video to 1080p (non-HDR) when using the projector. I am not a fan of having Kodi call an external player (such as VLC).

Is there any ETA or news on the transcoding front.

There are streaming server solutions which work very well with Kodi (and other clients) will do this where you can set a profile per device type including maximum resolution, preferred audio codecs and more.  They can transcode on the fly (typically not the best when downscaling  4K rips) or pretranscode for specific device types.  I do this all the time for certain content where I don't have a Kodi client that can handle downscaling 4K video to 1080P to a TV.  I also have Raspberry Pis running Kodi as a client which can handle this off of a streaming server, even over wireless.  What is unclear in your question is how all of your devices are accessing your media ?  Is this just a single Kodi client instance with different outputs for the TV and the projector ?  Or are they separate clients each pulling their own media from a source ?

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
I would like to know the syntax for using the GUI built-in function "Resolution".

Using the built-in function "PlayerResolutionSelect" I can achieve the desired result, but it is far less than elegant.  I must put every possible used resolution in the whitelist.  When a 4K movie starts playing, the script can scroll through the resolutions until it comes to 1920x1080 23.xx Hz. It then selects the 1920x1080 screen resolution and temporarily switches to it.  Here is the python script:

import xbmc
import time

xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(PlayerResolutionSelect)")
time.sleep(0.2)
for x in range(40):
    time.sleep(.03)
    if xbmc.getCondVisibility("String.Contains(System.CurrentControl,1920x1080 @ 23)"):
           xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(noop)")
    else:  
           xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(down)")

xbmc.executebuiltin("Action(Select)")
Jeff,

I have a single Kodi server running on a Windows PC. The video card HDMI output goes to a switcher (for selecting KODI, DVR, Xbox, or Roku), then the receiver, then a splitter, then the TVs and projector.  BTW, this requires an Atlona EDID Emulator.

David
seems like this would work for your projector - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VP37KMB

albeit i admittedly have never used such a thing, nor have i bought that product but some years ago i used an upscaler which was similar and worked just fine to go the other direction 1080p -> 2160p
A hardware downscaler may be the way to go.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It all hinges on the HDR to SDR conversion.  The downscalers from HDFury (Vertex, Arcana, Integral 2) seem more sophisticated in that regard.
https://www.hdfury.com/product-category/...ownscaler/
(2023-05-19, 17:09)MediaPlayerFan Wrote: A hardware downscaler may be the way to go.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It all hinges on the HDR to SDR conversion.  The downscalers from HDFury (Vertex, Arcana, Integral 2) seem more sophisticated in that regard.
https://www.hdfury.com/product-category/...ownscaler/

Here's one which I used very successfully before I got my 4K AVR with HDMI 2.0 support.  I'd suggest one which allows setting a fixed EDID towards Kodi to avoid resyncing.  I used this one to drive 4K and 1080P simultaneously from my Kodi.  If I can find it somewhere around here I am happy to give it to you.

*** Edit ***  I dug around my desk drawer and found it.  If you want it send me a PM with your info and I'll ship it out.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi transcode the movies?1