• 5(current)
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V2 is out
Topfs2 Wrote:For the first it sounds like the usual fault, try Settings -> Appearence -> Screen and pick the resolution which is Desktop, which have the right resolution. The Auto isn't really working as expected yet.

For the other q, could you give us some more info and a log perhaps?
Like is it smb or local you are trying to play? what hw do you run it with?

/Topfs2

Full Screen works!
When trying to start a Video_TS.IFO file it gives:
Error Playlist playback aborted Too many consecutive failed items

Playing ISO files looks okay
I've been following this for a while and although I am a complete Linux newbie I thought I would give the Live USB a shot. Although I have not been successful in getting it working I thought it may be beneficial to post some feedback.

I am using a Dell M1330 notebook with Intel GM965 chipset (X3100 integrated graphics).

D/L the LiveUSBv2 and used supplied WinImage to make the bootable USB flash drive without any problems. Then D/L and copied the new xbmc image onto the USB flash drive. Lastly (as I have Ubuntu installed on my notebook) I copied my xorg.cfg file as I read in an earlier post into the root directory of the USB drive. - Not sure if this last step was needed.

XBMC boots from flash drive successfully and the XBMC logo is displayed during loading. After around 45 seconds I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. The mouse pointer works but there is nothing to do with just a black screen.
@Icey: try to copy the image again on the flash drive and omit copying your xorg.conf on the drive. Let us know
Success! Thanks for the advice Luigi.

I D/L the new Live Builder posted yesterday and started to make the Live USB from scratch.

Having re-read the instructions in the first post I also realised I missed an obvious step in renaming the restricted drivers file the first time around since I have an Intel GPU.

XBMC loaded in around 45 seconds and after a quick change to the resolution it was full-screen and identical to my xbox with XBMC. Big Grin

All my media is on my NAS box which I thought should be accessible since from the first post I understand DHCP on eth0 is enabled. However, when looking under network settings the only option was eth1 and wlan1 both of which were disabled and I could not see an obvious way to enable it.

I then copied some media files onto the root directory of the Live USB as well as into a created 'Videos' folder but still no luck.

Finally I just put a DVD into the notebook and it started playing correctly although there was no audio output. - Perhaps I missed an option somewhere...

So... things are looking pretty good so far. If there is any advice on what to try for enabling network access or audio it would be appreciated and I can post back my progress.

Thanks!
Hi all,
Thanks for this great liveUsb which helps a lot linux semi-newbies like me.
I tried it with my P4 3.0ghz and Nvidia 5200 fx 128mb. It seems to boot fine but after it finishes loading at logo screen, Black screen and keyboard leds blinking... and nothing more. I cant even connect to sshd I installed, so I guess it doesnt even let daemons start. To let daemon start I have to upload a xorg.conf with some error inside it so I receive a error message on screen, but I can connect to ssh. If I rename restrictedDrivers.img, Xbmc boots correctly, but is unbearably slow. I cant even click the right button cos I dont see where the pointer is at real time.

I tried to put modified xorg.conf on usb root but it didnt work. I receive error messages (obviously) if xbmc doesnt like it, and box frozen + leds blinking if the conf is read correctly.
Can anyone suggest me how I can solve, maybe with a xorg.conf tested on a nvidia 5200 fx 128mb please?

Thanks and bye.
Pino.
Blinking keyboard LEDs is usually indicative of a kernel panic. Is say there's some piece of hardware that isn't playing nicely.
Hi,
Thanks for you reply.
Is there a log I can read to find out what's happened?
When this happens the box is completely frozen.
If not, I guess I'll try to find a more recent and supported graphic card and retry, hoping that the faulty component is the graphic card and nothing else.
(Btw, if anyone has been able to make a 5200 work, pls let me know)
Thanks.
Pino.
I have a fx5600 xorg.conf although I have alot of fixes in that for me to get a decent resolution as my TV isn't playing well with me.

So you should probably take away:
Code:
Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"
    Option       "UseEdidFreqs" "FALSE"
    Option       "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    Option       "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoPredefinedModes,NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoUserModes, NoXServerModes"

And change it from "se" language to en? Probly needs to alter the resolution aswell..
But a tip, if it works in ubuntu try to copy that xorg you have there, should be the same.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks a lot for your help but it didnt work.
I tried your xorg.conf removing the rows you suggested.
I had to remove the extensions section because it gave me a parsing error. But even when the file was good, an advice about Autorities appears for a few seconds , not sure what he wants, then it switches resolution and blinking leds.
I dont use linux (semi-newbie here) so I dont have a tested xorg.conf with this card.
It you have anu other suggestion, Id appreciate.

Bye.
Pino.

Topfs2 Wrote:I have a fx5600 xorg.conf although I have alot of fixes in that for me to get a decent resolution as my TV isn't playing well with me.

So you should probably take away:
Code:
Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"
    Option       "UseEdidFreqs" "FALSE"
    Option       "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    Option       "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoPredefinedModes,NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoUserModes, NoXServerModes"

And change it from "se" language to en? Probly needs to alter the resolution aswell..
But a tip, if it works in ubuntu try to copy that xorg you have there, should be the same.
Hi again.
Just to announce that it worked.
I just reflashed the pendrive and it worked...even using the default xorg.conf. So I guess it was a problem with previous install.
Im sorry if I bothered you all and I thank you. Ill test and see how it goes...

Bye all.
Pino.
Hi again,
Im testing the img and it works fine.
I setup a samba share and regular SD divx work fine... some skip a little while some else play perfect.
The only big problem I found is that the mouse is totally f***ed up. Has a warped sensitivity and doesnt do what I want... doesnt click all the times... sometimes it goes fast somewhere esle without I told him to do. is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.
Pino.
jarwha Wrote:Full Screen works!
When trying to start a Video_TS.IFO file it gives:
Error Playlist playback aborted Too many consecutive failed items

Playing ISO files looks okay

yup, that's what you get when you try to play IFO/VOB ripped DVD these days. Been an ongoing problem for awhile, all of my DVD ripped that way too Sad This isn't a problem with the image you're using but with XBMC itself right now.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
If you select the individual VOB file, that will play fine.
davilla Wrote:If you select the individual VOB file, that will play fine.

Yes it will, however when DVD Shrink rips a DVD it doesn't create a single VOB but instead creates 4-10 of them. Playing each one in order while trying to enjoy a movie, not to mention getting the right order, sort of spoils the whole acceptance factor for the family.Shocked Until this part is fixed my XBOX remains in service for SD DVDs. This has been discussed, at length, several times - there's a link in my sig to some of the discussion actually and it's been a problem for as long as I've used the Linux port. From what I've seen posted elsewhere it appears to be an issue on other port platforms too. It did used to work a little better - the movie would play in a preview window - but that was broken recently and this new behavior showed up. <sigh>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I understand Wink The acceptance factor gets low when doing this and sometimes even a single VOB will not play.

Just a thought, the OSX port (last time I check) can play a series of VOBs. So if it's based off the Linux sources, why does it work there but not under Linux varient? Is OSX fu more powerful than Linux fu?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V2 is out3