• 15(current)
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V2 is out
WTF0v3r Wrote:Well I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that I know what the problem is. The particular version of lirc that is distributed in version 8.04 does not have the proper identifier in the .c file for you version of the mce_usb2 driver. It was not commited to the repository until recently. I had to manually recompile the driver with that identifier added to the file. See my thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34453

Thanks WTF, for the good news at least. Will I be able to compile and make the changes on LiveUSB by following your instructions? The reason I ask is because my understanding is that LiveUSB doesn´t have all the functions and commands of Ubuntu.

-G
I would doubt seriously that you would be able to build lirc on the liveUSB version. Anything is possible but it would probably involve more work than would be worth it. I haven't checked the ibex intrepid repos to see what version of lirc will be included. but hopefully it is at least .83 or .84 pre1
I5 Haswell NUC | DS1812 | ServerWMC
G.Karam Wrote:Will I be able to compile and make the changes on LiveUSB by following your instructions?
-G

you won't, but the best part is that I have done it already...

The new XBMCLive will be out soon (it's under internal tests now) and will include the CVS version of the lirc module for usbmce2 remotes (guess who needs it... Laugh)

Cheers

Luigi
Quote:The new XBMCLive will be out soon (it's under internal tests now)

thats great news!
currently i'm having the same problem with your v2 as freakazoid with normal ubuntu here:
Output sound through HDMI on GA-MA78GM-S2H

do you have the possibility to test audio through hdmi? or any tip how to change the audio device within your liveXBMC?

thanks,
marc
l.capriotti Wrote:you won't, but the best part is that I have done it already...

The new XBMCLive will be out soon (it's under internal tests now) and will include the CVS version of the lirc module for usbmce2 remotes (guess who needs it... Laugh)

Cheers

Luigi

Nice!

Look forward to playing with it. Big Grin

Shorty
can we get a sneak peak at the new build

i have spent days trying to get lirc to work with the mce2usb receiver
can you pm me with a link or ftp it to me ill even host it on my server

i have not had the performance out of any other builds
minibuntu, full unbuntu, 7 different stripped down versions
as i have had with livexbmc

l.capriotti Wrote:you won't, but the best part is that I have done it already...

Cheers

Luigi

Cheers

Luigi

Good to hear. BTW, excelent job Luigi!
I have managed to get everything onto a small (1gb) hdd partition on my laptop, and can emulate everything booting up.. Ive made a script that replaces the 'usb' script, so that it KNOWS where to mount the filesystem from.. The problem im having though, is getting the new script into the initrd.img..

I extract is with 'gzip -dc initrd0.img |cpio -id' then put my script into the extracted files..

However, when i try to regenerate the initrd, i end up with a non working file..

Ive been using.. 'find dir -print |cpio -o |gzip >initrd-temp.img' as the command for this, and the resulting file seems valid... ie, its a gzipped cpio archive.. but the kernel doesnt seem to like it..

What commands are used to generate the original initrd img for XBMC LiveUSB ?

Thanks,
Travis (wishie)
XBMC Live is built using Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded tools, namely Moblin Image Creator (MIC). More info at Moblin site.
Hmm, dont really feel like setting up a whole build environment to replace a couple of files.. but looks like ill have to do just that..

The reason for my hard disk install, is that my laptop has "HP Quickplay" software, which by default boots and runs some cut down embedded XP with media centre thing.. I would much rather replace this with XBMC. I could use a USB target, like this is intended for, but then id always have to have the USB key on me, and also, my laptop doesnt seem to like booting syslinux off any of the ones I own already. So a small 1gb partition at the end of my laptop hard disk seemed like the best solution.

Ill try setting up this moblin build environment and see how i go, but I think its a bit overkill to change 1 or 2 files.. heh Sad
You shouldn't need to change any scripts. Just copy all files to your harddrive and run syslinux. What's important is that you get the hidden folder .disk over, as thats the one that tell the script that this is where xbmc is.
I just ended up installing a new kernel with another initrd, and i have extracted all the .img files to a ext3 partition.. works a treat.. now to sort out why it uses 100% CPU when XBMC is focused, and also to get my laptop 'extra keys' to work with it Smile
The usb drive seems to boot up and I get the XBMC initial screen but then it goes blank and I have a single underscore in the top left corner. I have tried no xorg.conf file and two different xorg.conf files but still the same result. Any clues?
CDR114 Wrote:The usb drive seems to boot up and I get the XBMC initial screen but then it goes blank and I have a single underscore in the top left corner. I have tried no xorg.conf file and two different xorg.conf files but still the same result. Any clues?

How much help do you really expect to get with that amount of info?

Hardware?
CDR114 Wrote:The usb drive seems to boot up and I get the XBMC initial screen but then it goes blank and I have a single underscore in the top left corner. I have tried no xorg.conf file and two different xorg.conf files but still the same result. Any clues?

Let me guess, Intel Video Chipset? G35 maybe? Intel Video Drivers suck in the Hardy release, here's to hoping Intrepid is better.
I5 Haswell NUC | DS1812 | ServerWMC
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V2 is out3