CoreAVC binary DLL codec under XBMC's DVDPlayer?
It's actually $15 if you want SMP support (and you do). But yeah, I'll buy it too once it works in XBMC.
same here Smile
8$ or 15$ I will spend it without any problem, I love XBMC, and a fully 1080p working interface will be great. I thought that xbmc use mplayer instead of ffmpeg
XBMC for Xbox uses ffmpeg through mplayer. XBMC for linux, windows, and OSX uses ffmpeg through dvdplayer (the developers' custom media player).
Let's hope that a patch is on the way for dvdplayer to support coreavc... :-)
That won't be happening, the XBMC devs don't deal with that. They support whatever ffmpeg does.
Creator of coreavc support for linux just started google group for coreavc+linux progress. There are patches supporting both mplayer and xine. Since mplayer is based on ffmpeg maybe the patch for ffmpeg to support coreavc will not be that hard to create. However my knowledge on that topic is very limited as I am just testing current solution. Maybe some coders from xbmc linux forum will be interesting in joining the group to help develop the patch.
This group also have patches for mythtv which is build in XBMC for sometime now.
I asked on the group what can be done and this is the answer for now.

"...ffmpeg doesn't support win32 codecs. The only
reasonable way to make it work would be to use the dshowserver (to make coreavc work with ffmpeg), but that is not easy to incorporate into ffmpeg as far as I know (well it could possibly be done in ffmpeg.c itself, but it is likely what you need is for it to be in libavcodec)"

Same problem applies to 64bits environment however there is a work around. Eventually the plan is to integrate dshowserver with ffmpeg but as I was told this is on very long "to do " list Smile Unless ffmpeg guys will jump in.
One thought. Under Xbox one could invoke the context menu and select the "Play using..." entry to choose between Mplayer and DVDplayer.

Would it be possible to have an option to play videos using a custom pre-installed external player? Is it something doable or are there technical hurdles that make it impossible.

I kinda refuse to think that the only way to play 1080p content under XBMC is using a quad core processor...
ashlar Wrote:One thought. Under Xbox one could invoke the context menu and select the "Play using..." entry to choose between Mplayer and DVDplayer.

Would it be possible to have an option to play videos using a custom pre-installed external player? Is it something doable or are there technical hurdles that make it impossible.

I kinda refuse to think that the only way to play 1080p content under XBMC is using a quad core processor...

I have a q6600 and still have stuttering problems with a lot of 1080p material. Especially x246..
ashlar Wrote:One thought. Under Xbox one could invoke the context menu and select the "Play using..." entry to choose between Mplayer and DVDplayer.

Any thoughts from developers on this? Should I be asking the question on the general forums?
lout Wrote:hi i have MBP 2.2 GHz and osx86 3GHz and i dont have problem play 720p or 1080p material in XBMC

I have no problem with 720p on my 1.66ghz Mini. 1080p depends on how it was encoded, most play smooth, but I've had some that don't. This coming from a computer that could NEVER play any 1080p content smoothly until now.
a lot of similar questions seemed to be surfacing around different codec supports/etc.

Many of us perhaps (the majority) use the same readily available codecs anyway. Of course in most cases, there are the exceptions such as real media codecs, coreAVC, etc.

I for one, am just glad the progress over the past few months (less than a year) for example for the OSX has been fantastic.

Eventually though.....it is hoped that a similar win32 dll loader (the generic way to try to please the whole big arse world) could be incorporated somehow but I do not see that happening with ffmpeg all the way.

Oh well, this is STILL the best media software ever.

HOpe i am not stepping on anyone toes, ... this is for the user area comments anyway Smile
A quad core is not necessary at all to play x264 content. Anyone who gets studdering with a Core or Core2 Duo CPU needs to reformat or something because that hardware is more than enough to decode 1080p.
georgemoore13 Wrote:A quad core is not necessary at all to play x264 content. Anyone who gets studdering with a Core or Core2 Duo CPU needs to reformat or something because that hardware is more than enough to decode 1080p.

Not if the codec used is as inefficient as ffmpeg's h.264 decoder compared to corecodec's coreavc h.264 decoder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CoreAVC binary DLL codec under XBMC's DVDPlayer?0