XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM
l.capriotti Wrote:LiveXBMC on a CD is doable, it's just a matter of adjusting the initrd script. Not easy if you don't have the complete build environment. The question is: why would you prefer running off a CD when you have a bootable, persistant USB setup?

I wouldn't prefer it, just an idea. Still when thinking long term a downloadable CD might be neat for first timers trying it. Although the USB does a better job if your gonna build a real one later on. Actually showed your build to a friend and he went out buying hw immediately just to get one Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Minimal Install, Auto Login with gdm.

[for Linux beginners]

1). download Ubuntu 8.04 mini.iso and install basic configuration

2). Install xorg
Code:
sudo aptitude install xorg

3). - Install and svn, checkout xbmc svn, build xbmc using dependencies from README.linux for Hardy Heron. (easier than it sounds).

4). Install your system video drivers. ( I am using amd 780g /ati radeon 3200 so I downloaded and installed proprietary driver for 3d acceleration support and all that good stuff).

5). add '~/XBMC/BUILD/XboxMediaCenter -q to .xinitrc
Code:
echo "~/XBMC/BUILD/XboxMediaCenter -q" > ~/.xinitrc
this allows us to auto launch xbmc as soon as xorg starts.

6). add 'startx' to .bash_login
Code:
echo "startx" >> ~/.bash_login
this allows us to auto launch xorg as soon as you log user in at command line.

7). install gdm
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdm
we'll use this to autologin user at command line.

8). reboot. set user auto login. select session gnome. will boot to terminal in xorg.
Code:
sudo gdmsetup
select security and enable autolig and select user.
change default session failsafe terminal. while you are here you might also want to change the background color to black so you don't see beige for the millisecond before XboxMediaCenter launches.

side notes:

on system boot it should boot directly into to xbmc-linux. go to video settings and set your resolution to match desktop in order to boot to full screen permanently.
I have not figured out how to get the shutdown button to shutdown the system right now shutdown reverts back to the gnome login screen

If you do not want to set default session to failsafe terminal (in gdmsetup) .xinitrc will not load and instead it will look for ./xsessions to circumvent this you can just sys link .xsessions to .xinitrc using this command

Code:
ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

for ir remote support you will need to install lirc and get it to run as daemon and if you are using a serial receiver and a unique remote you can use irrecord to build a lirc.conf for that specific remote.

next step besides getting shuitdown in xbmc to shutdown the system, is to maybe build a splash screen. I think Ubuntu usually uses usplash but I have no idea where to start on that.

special thanks to Althekiller for helping me with some of the commands and the rest of the xbmc-linux community for all your hardwork in making the best media center ever.

test hardware: amd 780g/ ati radeon 3200 hd (onboard hdmi/dvi/vga) , amd dual core 5000+ BE (not overclocked) 2gigs ram.
In case anyone cares and has the 865G intergrated video card, then it seems to be working now for me after i got direct rendering working ( run glxinfo inside x windows, it should say direct rendering: yes)

I got this working by installing this:

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
cornbell Wrote:I have not figured out how to get the shutdown button to shutdown the system right now shutdown reverts back to the gnome login screen

next step besides getting shuitdown in xbmc to shutdown the system, is to maybe build a splash screen. I think Ubuntu usually uses usplash but I have no idea where to start on that.

Have you tried the method described here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=172...stcount=16

?
Antec Fusion 430 V2 | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H (Intel GMA 3100) | Intel E6750 | MCE Remote and Keyboard | Plays 1080p without any problem
ekurin Wrote:Have you tried the method described here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=172...stcount=16

?

yep tried that didn't work. I used the DialogButtonMenu.xml in the pal folder. There were two <onclick>XBMC.ShutDown()</onclick> I may have missed something.

Has anyone gotten this to work successfully?
Jezz_x said it worked for him in that thread. I may not have been root user. Will try it again.
Ok basically you swap <onclick>XBMC.ShutDown()</onclick> found in skins/project mayhem III/ pal/dialogbuttonmenu.xml with this <onclick>System.Exec(shutdown -h now)</onclick>

do this in both the pal folder and the pal16x9 folder for good measure. It appears twice in the dialogbuttonmenu.xml for each folder. replace it twice and then run in terminal
Code:
sudo chmod u+s /sbin/shutdown

and now when you launch xbmclinux the shutdown feature will shut down the entire system. (thanks Jezz_x for clearing up this tip for me).
An excellent guide. I followed it to clean up my aging desktop install, but I ended up with the green screen bug, and unable to get rid no matter what.

Never mind. I'll have to go back to the desktop version for now.
Cool guide... however it seems easier to install the desktop version and then strip it down.... I just installed desktop version, enabled gdm autologin, my default session is xclient script (.xinitrc). I start fluxbox and xbmc, works great.

Nice guide though.
NOW: AppleTV+CrystalHD PREVIOUS: HTPC and XBOX (both loudly running XBMC)
Mega. I scrapped the prebuilt version of XBMC and rebuilt it from scratch, and now it all works fine.
Can this be copied to the Wiki (xbmc.org/wiki) so we keep it maintained?
cornbell Wrote:[...]
test hardware: amd 780g/ ati radeon 3200 hd (onboard hdmi/dvi/vga) , amd dual core 5000+ BE (not overclocked) 2gigs ram.
How is the (menu)speed on the HD3200? I love this chipset, but it's still ATI + Linux.
Hi there,

menu speed is ok so far at 1080p, but still the 100% CPU-Usage problem exists and I currently have no solution for this.

:mad:
@cornbell

Many, many thanks for the guide. It all works perfectly. But i have one question: how i make updates of XBMC? I´m a linux-noob :-(
Install from svn instead .. have a look in the wiki-page Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM3