XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM
Topfs2 Wrote:You could always try the bootable usb image. I would imagine it might work to burn on CD aswell.. but I haven't tested it and might be dead wrong.

Personally (if the bios supports it) i would remove the HDD use a USB flash disk for the OS/xbmc and then store the films etc on a NAS.
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:...use a USB flash disk for the OS/xbmc...

other than boot time, would this affect performance at all?
openricky Wrote:other than boot time, would this affect performance at all?

XBMC Hits the harddrive quite seldom. Or atleast aim to hit it seldom.
THe main performance hit is when you create the sources, and is seen on XBMC Live. But when thats done its hard to notice the difference between flash key and usual drive.

One big disadvantage is that unpacking rars is slow because it needs to hit the USB drive as it uses the temp space. This can be fixed having more ram and mount the temp space in ram. I have posted how to do this in another thread, search for tmpfs and you should find it. just note you need lots of ram, say 2-4gb minimum.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
By creating sources do you mean adding all of the MP3 tag data and scraping videos? That is what I would expect to hit a USB device hardest. Still, that's not something done terribly often once created. I've seen a SSD sort of device that takes SD cards in a RAID 0 config that is supposed to be pretty quick and isn't super expensive - you provide the SD cards. There's also a PCI device that creates a big RAM drive if yuo wanted to network boot maybe - that thing screams once setup!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
i tried this approach with both the 8.10 server install and the 8.10 alternate cd command-line-only install, and they both work great EXCEPT i get no audio. been trying to get it working all night. has anyone else encountered that problem? if so, have you found a fix?
Need to know hardware config etc. but first and foremost suggest running alsamixer at the commandline and making sure that the correct outputs are not muted...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
crap, nevermind. i had installed mplayer to test audio before installing xbmc, seems that screwed things up. new ubuntu install w/o mplayer... audio is fine in xbmc.

sorry to be a bother Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Ubuntu Server, minimal install with no GDM3