What remote are using / want to use?
Currently Using:
  • Apple Remote

Plan To Switch To:
  • Learning Remote, probably Harmony model of some kind.

Primary Remote Needs:
  • Advanced OSXBMC control (IE full navigation plus audio/sub selection, info, etc)
  • Integrated Audio (power,volume) and TV (power)
  • Backlit
  • Intuitive layout.
Whats everyone else using now and planning to use in the future?
I'm currently using XBMC on XBOX and I control it with a Harmony One. It works flawlessly (even turns on/off the XBOX with the X3IR mod).

For XBMC on OSX I'm using the keyboard/apple remote while I'm testing (read playing with) it on my iMac and MacBook.

I intend to replace the XBOX with a Mac Mini after WWDC and am planning to use the Harmony for that too.
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
I'm using... well... Apple remote stuck to a Universal remote (see picture)... This will hopefully changed in next release depending on if I can get my remote to play nicely with it or not.

A note on harmony remotes, i've noticed that if all your devices don't come on correctly you will get stuck with a series of questions (is your tv on?) that can confuse the hell out of Wives, etc. so i tend to stay away from them. The best I've found is make sure all your devices have desecrate codes and use a universal remote that uses power on like a macro (i.e. TV -> On, Receiver -> On *instead of* TV -> Power Receiver -> Power) much more use friendly.

I know what you mean about wife confusion lol. I got around that by adding "Power XBOX" as a button for the "Watch XBMC" activity. The only box the harmony ever trips on is the XBOX, primarily because of the tiny IR eye on the X3 replacement front panel (you have to hold the remote in just the right place to get to it). If it fails to turn on, the wife has a nice friendly "On" button she can hit on the harmony display. I'm hoping this is all going to go away when I replace it with a mac.
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
I'm using a Harmony 880 - which has the Apple remote added as a device. I'm also using Remote Buddy as an application.

Works great. I never need a keyboard and it even has my wife's approval.
Information 
I am using a Nevo Q50 with a NevoConnect.

http://www.mynevo.com/html.php?page_id=345

http://www.mynevo.com/html.php?page_id=347

Love it.
Harmony 1000 with keyspan express IR receiver.

Mapped button with keyspan software.

Works wonderfully.
24" iMac aluminum(late 2007) 2.4GHz C2D 4GB RAM Radeon HD2600
Mac Mini(early 2008) 2.0GHz C2D 2GB RAM Intel GMA 950
Macbook (late 2007) 2.16Ghz C2D 4GB RAM Intel GMA 950
Currently using:

- Apple remote
- Xbox 360 wireless controler with microsoft wireless receiver($20)

Planning to use:

- Xbox 360 wireless when fixed(it stops working if it idles for 15 minutes)
- PS3 controller when support comes around.

I dont know you guys, but those harmony controllers are horrible and expensive. I have a lot of controllers xbox and ps3 controllers i can use and not spend a dime. Apple remote on the other hand works OK, ive learned how to use all the functions i normally use with it. The only problem is the lag it has the apple remote, other than that its perfect.

Xbox360 and ps3 controllers are great too because you get the feeling you are using the real XBMC.
Logitech Harmony 785 and remote buddy : best couple to drive a mac mini (in fact any logitech harmony) connected to a TV and a home cinema set
Using a Logitech Harmony 525, wich works fine, but i'm looking for a replacement because the 525 feels cheap and plasticy (squeaky and clicky).
renegade Wrote:Harmony 1000 with keyspan express IR receiver.

Mapped button with keyspan software.

Works wonderfully.

How did you get the Keyspan software to work under Leopard? I am having terrible issues with it. (It gives errors when installing. I managed to kextload the extension manually but it didn't recognize any button pushes, etc.)
I'm currently using my keyboard for most of my testing as I'm waiting to pick up a Mac Mini for my HTPC needs after the refresh. Once that happens, I'd like to switch to using a PS3 BD remote. I've made modifications to the events client to get it working in a manner similar to the MCE and XBOX remotes, and I plan to eventually get it to where it's covering a lot more functions including XBMC startup, subtitle stream and audio stream.
Subtitles - Serious Business

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What remote are using / want to use?0