NXServer/FreeNX
I have been trying to get NXServer to work properly on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. I can connect and create a new session, but that is not what I want, I'd like to connect and view/control the console, like vnc. I know this is possible with the "Shadow" option, however when I connect I only see the first frame, and then I get no screen updates, although the keyboard control works. The only info I have found about this issue, is that it might be caused by the composite extension. NXclient has an option to disable composite but it does not do anything, and neither does disabling composite in Xorg.conf. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Dustin
As discussed in PM (I saw the PM first) I don't use NX for the console; its main advantage is that it isn't the console, so I can login and do admin stuff with XBMC running in the background. If you need console access VNC does work-- in fact it will even let you interact with XBMC remotely, albeit slowly.
I know, but VNC is painfully slow even over Lan, unusable for me. Could you try the shadow option and let me know if it works for you?
You should be able to see the console with the shadow option, but I very much doubt that NX will get you decent speed with XBMC, even over LAN, and that's if it works at all. NX is great for desktop work but XBMC is basically an opengl polygon with the interface, movies, etc textured across its surface.
Understandable, but I think it would be far better than VNC. I just can't get it to do any screen updates, I just receive the first frame, and then it just sits there. I have heard of people using NX to do cad over the internet, so I feel that purely navigating the GUI of XBMC should be usable. I don't care about watching a movie through NX, just navigation, imagine it on a small 5-7in tablet, it could be the ultimate remote if it functioned with decent speed.
VNC works well for me, I use UltraVNC on my Windows box to my XBMC machine. XBMC paints VERY slowly but once at the desktop it works pretty well.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NXServer/FreeNX0