Apple remote keybindings
Hello, I just installed the new beta of 0.5 and everything seems to work great.

I've got a couple of questions thou about the apple remote and key bindings.

I successfully remapped up and down on the apple remote to VolumeUp and VolumeDown to be able to adjust the volume in full screen video, I use that much more that jumping 10 min back and ahead as the default keymap is set up.

What I can't figure out is two things.

1. I tried to map the back button to SmallStepBack but that did nothing. If I remember correctly that jumped back around 8 sec in the xbox version of XBMC but in osxbmc it still seems to jump back 30 sec. I don't know if this is a bug or if it supposed to do that, can anyone confirm if your SmallStepBack jumps 30 sec too?
I tried the backspace key on the keyboard, also mapped to SmallStepBack and that too jumped back 30 sec.

2. My other problem is in the file list/browser. In the previous versions, before beta 0.5, I could press play on the apple remote two times fast to get a submenu where you could choose Play to play the content of the dir. This automatically played CD1 then CD2 etc. without the need of browsing into the dir, then into the .rar and then choose the movie.
In the new release this behaviour, double click play on a dir, seems to have been removed but is it possible to map that manually in the Keymap.xml and if so, any idea how?

Thanks for a great release and keep up the good job.
1. SmallStepBack should be default for Left in the keymap.xml file for full screen video. Look Under the <FullScreenVideo> section.

2. Double clicks are gone. They caused too much of a lag. Holding down Menu button will bring up a contextual menu. Also holding down Play will give you Movie Information!
Oh, thanks, I'll try holding it down then.

I think you're wrong about the left button. I removed my Library/Application Support/XBMC/ folder completely and this is my edit in the file:
579 <!-- <button id="3">StepBack</button> -->
580 <button id="3">SmallStepBack</button>

Defaults to StepBack = 30 sec but the problem I'm having is that even thou I changed it to SmallStepBack it still jumps 30 sec back and not the small jump.
You're right, Left/Right in FSV is just StepBack/StepForward. I'll check later and see if I can get Small Step Back working. Send me a PM if I forget.
CyberPig Wrote:I successfully remapped up and down on the apple remote to VolumeUp and VolumeDown to be able to adjust the volume in full screen video, I use that much more that jumping 10 min back and ahead as the default keymap is set up.

That's the one thing I'd love to do. Is there an obvious way of editing the file? Which button goes to VolumeUp, etc... It's not obvious to me just where in the .xml file the changes go. That's all that is stopping me from using the app which is otherwise great.

pmcd
513 <FullscreenVideo>
Around line 513 scroll down and find
578 <joystick name="Apple Remote">
where you edit
582 <!-- <button id="1">BigStepForward</button> -->
583 <button id="1">VolumeDown</button>
and
584 <!-- <button id="2">BigStepBack</button> -->
585 <button id="2">VolumeUp</button>

The numbers in the front is the line numbers, may be a bit different in your file. You don't have to comment the default line (<!-- -->) you could just change BigStepForward to VolumeDown and BigStepBack to VolumeUp.

The file is located in Library/Application Support/XBMC/UserData/Keymap.xml
CyberPig Wrote:513 <FullscreenVideo>
where you edit
and

The numbers in the front is the line numbers, may be a bit different in your file. You don't have to comment the default line (<!-- -->) you could just change BigStepForward to VolumeDown and BigStepBack to VolumeUp.

Thank you! It worked great...

pmcd
Just an FYI for those who want to edit their keymaps file, the following page should give you a full list of mappings. As always keep a backup just in case. Any any errors in this file can cause XBMC to fail to start.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml
iordonez Wrote:Just an FYI for those who want to edit their keymaps file, the following page should give you a full list of mappings. As always keep a backup just in case. Any any errors in this file can cause XBMC to fail to start.

Have you had the time to test if SmallSkipBack works for you? The keymap page says it should jump 7 sec back and that works fine in the xbox version but I can't get it to work in osx. Neither from the remote or the backspace key on the keyboard.
Haven't had time. Go ahead and file a bug report for this. Best to get it documented and out there. That way it will stay on our radar.
iordonez Wrote:Just an FYI for those who want to edit their keymaps file, the following page should give you a full list of mappings. As always keep a backup just in case. Any any errors in this file can cause XBMC to fail to start.

This seems to be a page for the xbox remote. How would you translate that to the Apple remote? There are only a few buttons on it and they are numbered 1,2, ... When you edit the file you have to know which button is doing what (and which button it is on the remote).

pmcd
Added translations on sticky post:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33056
CyberPig Wrote:513 <FullscreenVideo>
where you edit
and

I'd like to have up and down adjust volume as well, but for some reason the function doesn't change even though I've modified keymap.xml.
Mine is like this, under FullScreenVideo,
<joystick name="Apple Remote">
<button id="3">StepBack</button>
<button id="4">StepForward</button>
<button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
<button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
<button id="5">Pause</button>
<button id="6">OSD</button>
<button id="9">Rewind</button>
<button id="10">FastForward</button>
<button id="11">Stop</button>
<button id="12">Info</button>
</joystick>
Up and down still do the big step forward/backward, even after rebooting my comp.
Btw, I don't see XBMC folder under Library/Application Support, I found keymap in XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/UserData

XBMC version is 0.5.0b2. Any ideas?
"Btw, I don't see XBMC folder under Library/Application Support, I found keymap in XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/UserData"

I think the file you edit has to be in your home. So it's in ~/Library/Application Support/...

Thats the file I edited and the volume up/down does work.

pmcd
Have the same "problem" as Vaiski. I don't have any XBMC folder in the Application Support folder.

I'm rather new to Mac so have I installed the XBMC in the "wrong" way or what is causing this?

Thanks,
Fredrik

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple remote keybindings0