SMB password issue with Asus Router Samba server
I'm running Kodi on an rPi 3 using OSMC.  On my network, my Asus RT-A68W router serves several samba shares that work great with my wondows 10 PCs.  However, if I try to access them from Kodi, I get repeated prompts for the password.  I went as far as to create a kodi user and password on the router.  Even if I use that user on Kodi, it just reprompts me for the password.  How can I troubleshoot this problem?

I found an old thread on the forum similar to this but the problem solutions did not work for me.
My OSMC version is 2018-03.2 and my Kodi version 17.6.
Not sure how OSMC is handling it, but your ASUS router should only provide SMB1 as its share. If OSMC is using SMB2/3, connecting to your ASUS router might be hard. The reason your windows machine can connect to it might be due to the fact you enabled SMB1 again or didn´t get/install the fall creators update yet, which will disable the default SMB1 feature from windows.

SMB1 is a risk in itself and pretty vulnarable. Hence Windows disables it by default now. So enabling it again is nothing I would recommend. The problem for now is neither Kodi, OSMC or Windows. The problem is your ASUS router which won´t get an update to provide SMB2 shares. Therefore the NAS option it might have is kind of useless, if you ask me. The same counts for nearly every FritzBox which also provides only SMB1. I have a FritzBox 7490 and I completely disabled that function.

A router is a router and it will never become a NAS.
For OSMC, you can go to:
Settings>Services>SMB client
to determine/set the level of SMB
HTH
Derek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB password issue with Asus Router Samba server0