XBMCHelper breaks remote capabilities in EyeTV
I choose to use the new XBMCHelper to be able to start XBMC with the menu button from OS X. This is a great new feature but there is one small problem I've encountered.

It seems like the helper steals all remote capabilities in the OS even when XBMC is not running.

I'm running EyeTV, for live TV, and when the helper is running I can't use the remote in EyeTV. I tried to kill the XBMCHelper process and after that the remote works fine in EyeTV again.

I don't know if it's possible but it would be great if you could use the remote in other apps when XBMC is not running or if you could add exceptions for apps where you want to use the remote.
While not quite the same thing, I have noticed when XBMC is running(using apple remote always on setting), my mighty mouse does not function properly.

If I quit XBMC, it returns to normal.

What I mean by it not working is that the customized buttons do not work. Left and right click work fine, but, things such as pressing the scroll wheel(to bring up dashboard), or 4th button(right and left extra buttons) to open spaces, no longer work.

Not a real big problem, but, I do use my iMac quite a bit while running XBMC to play a movie for wife and/or kids. Would be great for it to function "normally" whilst XBMC is running.
24" iMac aluminum(late 2007) 2.4GHz C2D 4GB RAM Radeon HD2600
Mac Mini(early 2008) 2.0GHz C2D 2GB RAM Intel GMA 950
Macbook (late 2007) 2.16Ghz C2D 4GB RAM Intel GMA 950
When you turn XBMC remote to always run it take complete control of the IR port. If you want to use the remote with other applications I would suggest you disable the always running feature.
renegade Wrote:While not quite the same thing, I have noticed when XBMC is running(using apple remote always on setting), my mighty mouse does not function properly.

This only happens in full screen right? AFIK you can't use Expose, etc. when you have a application running in full screen. Same *should* apply to front row, games the run full screen, etc.
iordonez Wrote:This only happens in full screen right? AFIK you can't use Expose, etc. when you have a application running in full screen. Same *should* apply to front row, games the run full screen, etc.

Well, I dont know actually. I never ran Front Row on an external monitor, so I would not be able to use the iMac for anything other than Front Row.

I am willing to bet you are correct about it being due to fullscreen though. I will try setting the buttons to something other than what should be affected by fullscreen and see if they still work.
24" iMac aluminum(late 2007) 2.4GHz C2D 4GB RAM Radeon HD2600
Mac Mini(early 2008) 2.0GHz C2D 2GB RAM Intel GMA 950
Macbook (late 2007) 2.16Ghz C2D 4GB RAM Intel GMA 950
I have encountered this same problem, and came to the same conclusion. Only difference is that I discovered that you cant even wake the computer from sleep or turn on the display like you used to be able to. I have my iMac set to never sleep, but turn off the display after one minute. Now I have to walk over to the iMac and move the mouse so that I can then walk back to my seat and launch XBMC with the remote... seems to kinda defeat the purpose.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCHelper breaks remote capabilities in EyeTV0