Opinions on two ideas - Shut Down Computer & Eject External HD
I'm using XBMC on a 1.66 Core Duo Mini which I am using as an HTPC and an HTPC only. The new 0.5.0 version is wonderful, Front Row's retirement is now official.

Thank You.

But I still have to use Remote Buddy, which I would also like to retire. But at present I cannot because RB gives me two functions that both XBMC and Front Row are missing:

#1. Shutting down the computer with the remote.
#2. Ejecting an external hard drive. Necessary for my external Lacie hard drive as it does not go to sleep and needs to be turned off when not in use - it's also one of the fanless ones. Easily done by creating a custom action with the Applescript command

tell application "Finder"
eject "External HD"
end tell

These two functions give me the ability to have a Mac HTPC that 99% of the time requires no keyboard or mouse.

So does anyone else think (and this is not a feature request) it would be useful if XBMC enabled users to: 1. Shut down the computer 2. Eject external HDs?
A way to run some applescripts would be totally cool as applescripts are a great way to extend functionality beyond and above xbmc!
Canuck73 Wrote:But I still have to use Remote Buddy, which I would also like to retire. But at present I cannot because RB gives me two functions that both XBMC and Front Row are missing:

#1. Shutting down the computer with the remote.
#2. Ejecting an external hard drive. Necessary for my external Lacie hard drive as it does not go to sleep and needs to be turned off when not in use - it's also one of the fanless ones. Easily done by creating a custom action with the Applescript command

You can change the function of a button in the skin to shut down the computer. I changed mine so it shuts down on exit.
You may need to edit sudo config to not require password though..

Read more here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...own&page=4

There are 2 lines in skin/Project\ Mayhem\ III\PAL16x9\DialogButtonMenu.xml that have the <onclick>XBMC.ShutDown()</onclick> command. They are around lines 190-ish and 290-ish.

I've put in:
<onclick>System.Exec("sudo shutdown -h now")</onclick>
smedberg Wrote:You can change the function of a button in the skin to shut down the computer. I changed mine so it shuts down on exit.
You may need to edit sudo config to not require password though..

Read more here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...own&page=4

There are 2 lines in skin/Project\ Mayhem\ III\PAL16x9\DialogButtonMenu.xml that have the <onclick>XBMC.ShutDown()</onclick> command. They are around lines 190-ish and 290-ish.

I've put in:
<onclick>System.Exec("sudo shutdown -h now")</onclick>

Thanks for the info.

I never used XBMC prior to the Mac. Interesting to see system shutdown is available on the Xbox version.

However, I personally wouldn't want the program shutdown replaced with system shutdown. If I know I'll be using the Mini within a day or two, I prefer to let the computer sleep, but I'll still eject and shutdown the external HD.

So, for me I'd want: XBMC shutdown, system sleep, system shutdown, and the ability to somehow eject/unmount an external HD. Not useful for non-Mini users, but great for us HTPC Mini people that don't intend to use a keyboard or a mouse.

Also, does anyone know why the Mac version does not have a dedicated System shutdown button?
Canuck73 Wrote:Also, does anyone know why the Mac version does not have a dedicated System shutdown button?

Because unlike XBOX users most OS X users are using their mini for things other than just XBMC. For example Torrents, Usenet downloads, File sharing, print sharing, etc. My mini does all the heavy file lifting while my laptop is for actual use. With the xbox there was not reason to have it on when not in use.
iordonez Wrote:Because unlike XBOX users most OS X users are using their mini for things other than just XBMC. For example Torrents, Usenet downloads, File sharing, print sharing, etc. My mini does all the heavy file lifting while my laptop is for actual use. With the xbox there was not reason to have it on when not in use.

I agree - for most OS X users like yourself the need for shut down is unnecessary for the exact reasons you mentioned.

But in the results from Elan's survey, roughly one quarter of XBMC users indicated that they don't use a mouse or a keyboard. And I think it's safe to say that if they don't intend to use a mouse or a keyboard, then they're probably (just like I am) using the Mini just like XBOX users.

So, if it's safe to say 25% of OS X users are using XBMC in the same manner as XBOX users, why not keep the feature as an option?
I'd imagine xbmc would have a system.shutdown() somewere down the road, so this "workaround" wouldn't be needed. The probably skins would have, close - shutdown / hibernate - restart. or something like that, maybe scroll up and down in PM3 and it would have all the possibilities
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Canuck73 Wrote:So, if it's safe to say 25% of OS X users are using XBMC in the same manner as XBOX users, why not keep the feature as an option?

Well yes... and no. Note that of people not using a keyboard and mouse I'm one of them. This is where 50% of the respondents said they were using remote control software (Screen Sharing, ARD, VNC, etc.). I use ARD to fully control my Mini and I know a few other people who do the same. Again you asked for an opinion, that's it.

That said please feel free to submit a feature request on our trac, encourage others to comment on the request. The more interest that is shown the more likely it will get added.

Another cool idea along your thread would be to use XBMC as a finder replacement. I've done this before with Safari to create a KIOSK...
iordonez Wrote:Another cool idea along your thread would be to use XBMC as a finder replacement. I've done this before with Safari to create a KIOSK...

yep, that would be great. Big Grin

I am waiting also for a functional "my programs" to start a webbrowser out of xbmc and to play sometimes old games like giana sisters via an emulator.

Until then i am happy with my old xbox - since hd is not a big issue here in Austria at the moment, maybe the uefa european championships will change this a little bit.
Ooh! The ability to run applescripts!! Yes please Smile
This would actually fix the OP's request too, if you could fire off an applescript from a button in a skin.

I wonder if there is a way to make python run an applescript... hmmm *runs off to google*
I'm a lurker, not a fighter!
Wow that was easy!!

Code:
import os

#An example of the HEREDOC method
cmd = """osascript<<END
tell application "iTunes"
play playlist "Party Shuffle"
end tell
END"""

def play_iTunes():
     os.system(cmd)

play_iTunes()
Quote:Notice that with osascript you can triple quote osascript and embed a huge complicated AppleScript. This can be a pretty effective way to use AppleScript in Python as you could even throw several osascripts into a list or dictionary and call them throughout a Python script.
so basically applescripts in xbmc are already possible via python?
Yep, looks that way! Except python support is unstable in the current release, well every release so far LOL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opinions on two ideas - Shut Down Computer & Eject External HD0