Using Kodi on RasPi + cloud?
Hi forum

So I just bought my first raspberry pi 3 B+ today. At first I wanted to use it with Kodi to watch tv and other media!

But then I thought that I could maybe make a little home Nas/cloud so I could access content with all of my devices.

Therefore I have an ssd hard drive I wanted to use with it.

To sum up!: I want to set up my Raspberry pi with a 250gb ssd hard drive and use it with Kodi and as a Nas/cloud server. Is it possible to do both things?

I hope you guys and gals can help a newbie!

Best regards Eddie Smile
Thread moved to the Pi section.

Yes it should be possible - either set up one of the dedicated Kodi OS's (OSMC or LibreElec) and then share your connected drive under that, or set up a normal Raspbian micro-SD card and then install Samba and Kodi that way.

The latter is arguably a little more complicated to do, but there are guides out there to do it. It depends quite how much of a "NAS" experience you want, if it's just to share the drive to your network then either way will work.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you for the answer Darren.

So what you are saying is that it possible but I will have to install Kodi and another system to the RasPi to do the two things?

How would you recommend I should connect my ssd hard drive to the RasPi and do you think I should buy a cooling shell/cabinet for it?
If you want it simple, look at OSMC or LibreElec. They are pre-packaged OS's especially for Kodi. LE is designed to be "just enough for Kodi" and is very light and locked down, whereas OSMC has more underneath it (it has apt-get for example, which LE doesn't) but can take a little more setting up sometimes.

In both cases I think they can be set up to automatically share any USB drives connected to them, which would perhaps cover your NAS needs if they are simple.

The other way is to set up a normal Raspbian Pi, and then follow the various tutorials available on the web for setting up a NAS onto it and also for setting up Kodi onto it. That has the advantage of being more flexible and general, but the disadvantage that of course it is not optimised for either and it can be much more complex to get running smoothly.

In the end it depends on how proficient you are with setting up such things, or conversely how much you want it "out of the box" and pre-built. But as all three are available for free, I'd suggest grabbing copies of them, burning them onto SD cards (or try each one by one on the same SD card if you prefer) and seeing which fits your needs best. Start with LE or OSMC and go from there, as they're the quickest and easiest.

Drive connection to the Pi would be via USB cable (there aren't really any other options for the Pi), and yes for a Pi3 I would certainly recommend some sort of case. The FLIRC case is highly recommended (especially the Kodi branded one Smile ) as it gives the best cooling I know for a Pi3. Otherwise some sort of fan-assisted case would be needed, as the Pi3 (and to a slightly lesser extent the new Pi3B+) can run hot if you push it with high-def media and have thermal throttling issues. One thing to also make sure of is to get a decent 3A power supply. The official one from the Pi Foundation works very well for this application.

Another option of course is to split the workload up between two Pi's, and use a more dedicated solution for each. For the Kodi part I'd recommend LE or OSMC still, but if you want a more fully featured NAS-type solution something like OpenMediaVault works very well, and can support a lot of different protocols (SMB, NFS, FTP etc) plus via plug-ins cover things like Plex and VPN servers.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Some users use NextCloud or SyncThing with OSMC. There is more info on the forums, i.e. https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-instal...-osmc/9485
Things just got alot more complex!

But i think i have to see research the things you have mentioned.

I think i will buy a better case with fan cooling just to make sure it can handle the job! I am going to use it for movies and other media so it is going to work its butt off!

The Nas part is strictly to have easier access to our pictures, video and other media. Nothing fancy, for example if we have some video content on one computer we would like to save it to the nas so we could play it on the tv (where the pi is going to be connected to)
https://kodi.tv/product/pi-case

This is the FLIRC case I mentioned and the one I would strongly recommend. I used to run my Pi3 lounge media player in a case with a fan, and it quite often had overheating issues. Since switching to that one I've literally not seen one such event for doing the same kind of stuff (playback of DVD rips from my NAS, streaming via HDHomeRun/TVHeadEnd plus stuff like iPlayer). Plus they're not at all expensive, and very well made. The case body is solid metal and acts as a heat-sink for the Pi (there's a pillar inside which contacts the chip via a supplied thermal pad) and as there's no moving parts it's entirely silent, which a fan may of course not be.

Anyway have a play around with the different options and find one that works for you and your exact needs. We're always here if you get stuck (plus LE and OSMC both have their own forums, as Sam mentioned above for OSMC and libreelec.tv for LE).

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-04-08, 23:25)EddieEddie Wrote: Hi forum

So I just bought my first raspberry pi 3 B+ today. At first I wanted to use it with Kodi to watch tv and other media!

But then I thought that I could maybe make a little home Nas/cloud so I could access content with all of my devices.

Therefore I have an ssd hard drive I wanted to use with it.

To sum up!: I want to set up my Raspberry pi with a 250gb ssd hard drive and use it with Kodi and as a Nas/cloud server. Is it possible to do both things?

I hope you guys and gals can help a newbie!

Best regards Eddie Smile
 Not sure if this is want you want to do, but this is my setup. I have a 2TB Western Digital My Cloud device connected to my router. After I set this up and can navigate to it via a Network share in Windows or Linux, then your Pi should be able to navigate to it via an SMB connection. This is how I get to my movies on my Pi, I have a network connection to the NAS via SMB and I'm able to watch movies without any issues. There is one caveat with my setup. I cannot seamlessly stream Blue-Ray movies from my NAS to my Pi without buffering or stuttering. This is most likely due to my network bandwidth. I have elected to burn my DVD's to MKV files and then compress them further with Handbrake and this has worked for me.
Yes, very possible.

I have a Pi 3B with Raspbian, 500 GB USB HDD, wired network.  It is acting as a torrent box, a file server, a Pi-Hole server,  SickGear, MCEBuddy  and Kodi.  My TV is broken at the moment so I am watching media on Kodi Windows 10 over the wired network, normally the Pi is connected to the TV.

I am the only user so I can make it very simple.  I use SMB for file maintenance and NFS for Kodi, no real need for anything fancier.  Without a fan the temp gets right up to throttling temp (170F), with a fan it stays below 120F.  Wireless works for .mkv but not for live TV.

For anyone interested; My HDD is a 500 GB laptop drive in a USB 3 enclosure.  The Pi USB 2 port has plenty of power for the HDD over the USB 3 connector, even though they say it doesn't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi on RasPi + cloud?0